PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Discus, oldbie in fishkeeping..

cityguy
05-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Hello everyone, hi and a great week wish to you all.. I have been keeping fish since 2001, and currently the proud owner of a goldfish tank, an asian arowana tank, and a flowerhorn tank..

I wanted to try my hands on (difficult!) Discus, so have got myself 3 x red discus, (each about 5 inches) and have housed them in a 65 gallon tank with aged water.. The tank is running on a Fluval 5 External Filter, is planted, heater running at 29 degree C (82 degree F). Tankmates includes some red eye tetra, a juvenile fire eel (8 inches), and 3 clown loaches. Its a planted tank with Amazon and sand substrata..

This is how I have started off, and its just 48 hrs now, the fishes seems fine, eating heartily (frozen bloodworm, fed them twice in the last 48 hrs), and I would love to know anything else that I should keep in mind or need to be done..

Take Care and I am happy to now become a part of this forum.. :)

RyanH
05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Welcome. :)

I'd look through the threads at the top of the beginner section. There is a wealth of information there that will help you get started.

hth:)

Ryan

Apistomaster
05-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Add a 2 or 3 more discus of the same strain. Watch that total population. Look at removing some of those other fish eventually. You know how large fire eel grow. It is a great fish when it comes to digging out black worms than make it into the sand in case you feed them. So do Clown Loach but again, you already know how large they get.