PDA

View Full Version : beginner at discus

samoyedsrule
05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
I have decided to take the plundge into discus after twenty years in the hobby.I have some basic questions on getting started.Currently, i have a forty gallon high aquarium, housing two medium sized marble angels,two clown loaches, three penguin tetras, and a pleco.I have artifical plants and medium sized gravel.I have a marine land bio wheel filter (what size it is, i dont remember)I know that i am going to have to get the angels and clown loaches outof there.Can i keep the pleco, because he is a great cleaner? My questions are, how many discus can i keep in this size tank? Also, i have read on this forum that ph is not a big deal. That is very different than anything i have heard. I was told that they need very acidic water, like around 6.0 to 6.5. So i need a clarification on that. Temperature around 86 degrees or so, is this right? Are there some discus that are better for beginners than others? Can you mix different varietys together? I know these are alot of questions, but i want to do this right, and be succesful.thanks

LizStreithorst
05-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Actually, sam, a 40 tall isn't the best size tank for Discus. They prefer a olonger tank with more surface area. If I had that size tank and wanted to use it for Discus I'd go for an adult pair.

I agree that the clown loaches should go. The Angels may work. Many of us keep Angels and Discus together. Keep an eye on the pleco. If you catch it sucking on the Discus' sides it'll have to go, too. If he doesn't work out you can get some Bristlenose. They never bother the Discus.

The thing about soft water is IMO a myth. Unless you want to breed, water stability is much more important than low pH.

Good luck!

samoyedsrule
05-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Arent the angels a little to aggresive for the discus? i would like to keep them if i could.I think discus and angels together would be a cool tank.

RyanH
05-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi there,

Welcome to Simply!

If you're just getting started with Discus, I'd advise you to just have Discus in the tank until you get your feet wet. Once you learn how to care for them properly start thinking about adding other species.

I'd also just keep it barebottom.

Check out some of the stickied threads at the top of the beginner section. They will point you in the right direction. Post as questions arise. :)

Ryan

LizStreithorst
05-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Arent the angels a little to aggresive for the discus? i would like to keep them if i could.I think discus and angels together would be a cool tank.

It depends on the individual fish. As with the common Plecos sometimes it works out sometimes not. The only way to know is to try it.

dishpanhands
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM

Discus can be a bit aggressive too..There is a small war going on all the time in my tanks...I myself don't keep Angels, but I know someone who does..