PDA

View Full Version : Darkening red turquoise

singhamanb
05-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Hello all,
First let me say that I am glad I found this forum! I am new to discus keeping, but not to tropical fishkeeping in general.

I recently bought a pigeon blood and red turq for my 30 gallon planted tank (I know the recommended is 55 but the budget is tight). Since I put it in, the RT has turned very dark from light red to nearly black although the blue striation is still there. It seems to be swimming and breathing fine and eats ok (spits a lot) and also getting along fine with the PB which has stayed pinkish. What can I do about he color change?

Another two questions:
I am using a HOB filter from marineland and the return water flow is quite turbulent; does that need to be corrected? How would I do that?
Is the addition of fertillizers like seachem fluorish dosed as recommended ok?

Sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance.

ps any breeders in montreal, quebec?

johnm
05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
i would isolate that fish and do daily water changes. The flow rate from the hob is fine. I use the same type of filter with no probs.

singhamanb
05-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi,
thanks for the reply! Do you think it is a disease that it is the cause? Would it make them dart around in the tank after a 40% water change also?
I checked my water parameters at a store in the morning and I have an ammonia spike of 0.2. Could this be contributing?

corrosionjerry
05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Did you cycle your tank before putting in the Discus?

singhamanb
05-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi, thank you for taking an interest. Yes I would guess it is: it has been going steadily for at least two months with other fish in it. Granted that may not have been enough...
Anyways I did another 40% water change and started using 'cycle' again to help with any wastes. I also added some 'biomax' ceramic pellets in the filter to grow more bacterial mass. Hopefully it will get lighter again because I am running out of means and I dont have a quarantine tank set up right now!