PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon Planted

ChiliPepper093
05-07-2008, 04:02 PM
This will be my first tank. I'm planning to do a 55 gallon, with 3-4 discus and german blue rams and various tetras. Any suggestions or possible problems? Any other fish you can suggest will be great, along with plants.

New to discus
05-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Your first tank ever or your first discus tank?

ChiliPepper093
05-07-2008, 10:45 PM
first tank ever. But i think my mom is going to make me use my hermit crab tank(8-10 gallons) first to make sure I won't stop paying interest in the fish after a few months, but I'm not sure yet.

ChiliPepper093
05-08-2008, 03:53 PM
umm bump

New to discus
05-08-2008, 09:44 PM
first tank ever. But i think my mom is going to make me use my hermit crab tank(8-10 gallons) first to make sure I won't stop paying interest in the fish after a few months, but I'm not sure yet.

I would highly recommend not to get a planted discus tank at this time. I have kept planted tanks for about 15 years now and I am just now considering keeping a planted discus tank. My suggestion is to set up your 10 gallon as a nice planted community tank (although normally the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep). Get some cory's etc. Keep a handfull of fish and try to keep good water quality, plant growth etc for about a year. If you are not bored yet and you seem to get more and more into aquariums then try a 50 gallon planted copmmunity tank. After you have done that successfully for about a year or so you should think about getting discus. Good luck ;)