PDA

View Full Version : picky eater...

ewok
05-11-2008, 07:13 PM
i finally got my first discus yesterday, and boy this guy is a finicky eater. i tried hikari frozen blood worms, the tetra bits, frozen brine shrimp. nadda
he's been in the tank for over 24 hours and he just picks at the food and spits it back out.
is it because he's by himself now that he's not 'stimulated' by the frenzy of having other discus around during feeding time?
how long before i should get worried? :balloon:

tedsdiscus
05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
First of all, it sometimes takes a few days for discus to settle into their new home. With that said, how big is your tank? and why only 1 discus. I've never seen a happy discus that was kept by himself. Discus need to have friends in the tank with them.
If I were you, and depending on the size tank you have, I think you need to give him some friends.

TEd

ewok
05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
hi ted,

this is my first discus and i'll be getting more in the future. i wanted to 'test' myself to see if this was something i could handle. i've kept fish for a long time, but wanted to make sure i wasn't going to kill something as cool as a discus really fast! :p plus, they're pretty expensive fish as we all know!

having said that, the discus is currently in my 'test' tank - a 20 gallon long with a heater set at 84F and a sponge filter. it's doing pretty well actually, and he's not hiding now. actually as i type he's finished a good deal of the bloodworms :) :) i've done two water changes (15% and 20%) today and he's responded pretty well.

he'll be getting some friends pretty soon. i wanted to get myself a cheap discus (he cost $30 and is a turquoise from malaysia apparently...) and went to a lfs and chose one that i think is pretty decent.

tien-yeo