PDA

View Full Version : what does it mean to cull a fish?

freestylez_14
05-11-2008, 11:45 PM
what does it mean to cull a fish? can anyone explain it? thanks.

tedsdiscus
05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
It's when breeders take out fry or juvies that are not growing well in line with the rest of the clutch. This is done to assure that they only raise and/or sell top quality fish.

Ted

freestylez_14
05-12-2008, 12:10 AM
ok. I got it. Thanks Tedsdiscus.

Best Wishes!

Surferdave
05-12-2008, 02:58 AM
So are these extra fry/juvies donated, or given to fish stores? Or most of the time are they killed? Seems kinda harsh, no?

D

jeep
05-12-2008, 08:48 AM
So are these extra fry/juvies donated, or given to fish stores? Or most of the time are they killed? Seems kinda harsh, no?

Many times yes. But if you want to improve the quality of the hobby then this must be done. No one has enough room to store hundreds of undesirable fish that nobody wants for years at a time...

Good breeders lessen the amount of culls through quality fishkeeping practices...

digthemlows
05-12-2008, 09:12 AM
if you figure that deformed, or weaker fish in the wild will be eaten or killed then culling is the same, it's insuring the strongest survive.

crash
05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
if you figure that deformed, or weaker fish in the wild will be eaten or killed then culling is the same, it's insuring the strongest survive.

Although, survival of the fittest is true, but in wild its done by naturally rather than human intervention which could be biased. A small fish could be the fastest in the wild and could get out of trouble much better than a bigger one.
If asthetics is the only parameter used to judge then its quite harsh to do it IMHO. I hope most breeders try and donate the fish.

MostlyDiscus
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I gotten a few head pointers in broods for as long as I can remember(which seems be less and less as I get older;)) its always been that way and I really feel that it is better to cull outs sick or deformed fish. I wouldnt want any of the breeders to sell/give me a fish that is always going to be sick and therefore need meds. Most of these dont swin/eat well and wouldnt outrun anything. Now culling for looks alone I would agree that the culls, if heathly, should be given to friends that would care for them.

Graham
05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Anytime large numbers of fish are being produced there will be defects, deformity etc. In commerical operations tens of thousands of fish are destroyed all the time.

Koi do not produce true to parent colour and lay 75,000 in a spawn so if the breeder is only producing Kohaku or Sanke, then all dark colour fish are destroyed....that could be 30,000+ 1'' fry. After that they are culled a few more times to get the good fish down into the few thousand range. The vast majority of the fry are destroyed and never sold.

G

ShinShin
05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I hope people have "heard" what you printed, Graham. They should be destroyed. I'ved tired over the years listenening to people justifying selling rejects as LFS grade, then turn right around and critisize LFS quality. The problem is that most have no goal in mind when breeding discus. All that matters is that "I got eggs". Look at some of the pairings we see here on Simply.

If a person is breeding PB's to clean them up for better quality, then all the fry not measuring up to the standard they are attempting to achieve should be culled. If breeding Red Turquois for parallel lines, any broken lines ought to be destroyed, etc, etc.

There is far too much junk being sold. I listen to people here complain about the quality they have received, yet will unload these same fish off on yet another unsuspecting buyer or trade them off at a LFS to someone who does not know squat about discus, only to be bought yet by another one.

If you expect quality, produce quality and cull the rest ought to be in the minds of anyone who wants to breed discus.

Mat

GrillMaster
05-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I agree with what you an others have said Larry...Which really has reiterated for me anyways the need for the "University."

Looking at the big picture... The new or average hobbiest doesn't know any better. They have eggs. They raise them an just cant bring themselves to cull anything. They start running out of room and in turn start selling or giving away less than average fish.

A new hobbiest will be ecstatic with a spawn. Will be even more ecstatic if they can keep them alive. The pride will just grow if they can get them to 1.5-2". Of course they will start getting rid of the less desirable fish to whomever will take them off their hands at this point, just for the simple fact that they just cant bring themselves to cull or kill anything.

I believe there will always be less than average fish out there and all we can do is educate the need to cull. The experienced will weed out these type of fish. The new hobbiest will learn in time if they are passionate about the hobby. The new hobbiest that are not passionate about this hobby will ultimately give up. The new hobbiest just getting into the hobby will learn after they have bought less than average fish from the local LFS or wherever that it was a mistake. If they are as I said earlier "passionate" about the hobby, will correct that mistake an buy quality fish from then on.

Culling in this hobby is a requirement rather than an option...

spudz
05-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Culling goes on with all domesticated animals and has for hundred of years. Nothing new or just fish! :argue: I agree with culling totally.:D