PDA

View Full Version : the best beginner discus

samoyedsrule
05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Is there any particular discus that is considered a better beginner discus than others ?

dwilder
05-13-2008, 06:57 PM
good quality

tedsdiscus
05-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I think all discus are pretty much the same. You might try something like blue diamonds since they tend to be less expensive. Other than that, you take care of all of them the way.

Ted

Don Trinko
05-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Larger discus of any variety from a quality source and not wilds. Don T.

Solo707
05-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Ive learned that most pidgeon bloods are very hearty...all the ones that ive owned have been pretty vigorous in feeding (my smaller ones compete with the larger fish) and resistant to disease (if not resistant then less likely to become diseased in my case). Even though some PBs can be offputting due to extreme peppering, you may be able to find some really nice "clean" specimens. Of course that is just in my experience, how ever limited it may be. Take any advice with a grain of salt or peppering :).

cityguy
05-14-2008, 04:45 AM
In my experience I have seen that all the red strains are the toughest and can be considered the best beginners Discus. Blue and Snakeskin ones tend to fade very fast if there is any problem with the water quality..

samoyedsrule
05-14-2008, 08:47 AM
thanks everyone. I have been eyeing the pidgeon bloods, and also some of the other typed that are red in coloration.So this is good.

ShinShin
05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Since their appearance on the scene, PB's have proven to be a very hardy strain and easier to keep. Blue Diamonds and their spinoffs, like Ocean Greens and Angel Diamonds, can be a problem when feeding. Their digestive tract leads to alot of bloating that I never had with other strains. I won't recommend wild discus to start.

Mat