PDA

View Full Version : Magnet algae scrubbers work???

univmd
05-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Good afternoon, just wondering if those magnet algae scrubbers work? Do you use them? Do you have one? Do they work?

They are not cheap, but if they work, I would like to get one. What do you think?

With warm regards, James

tedsdiscus
05-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I love mine. I own 2 of them. 1 for the garage, and one for inside the house. They work great, just be careful with them. I've gotten my finger snapped in them before. Hurts like a you know what.
I recommend them for big tanks.

Ted

Bethanie
05-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure if I like them or not. I have a cheap version. Works great for most things. I can even get my kids to help with the scrubbing. Takes a real scrubbing to get the green spot algae. After a bit of practice can get it to hop corners. I do recommend a floating type. Mine doesn't float it has a retrieval cord (brown thread) that can get entangled with plants, but I leave it on because it's a pain to pick up off the bottom when your trying to do dry handed maintenance. And be cautious around substrate, even glass tanks will get easily scratched if you get a grain of sand or small pebble accidentally caught under one side.

MSD
05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Get a bushy nose pleco, you won't ever need an algae scrubber again. The pleco works better too.

tedsdiscus
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
MSD makes a real good point. those BNs are awesome.

Ted

rogge26
06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I have the kind that doubles as a digital thermometer. The digital thermometer does not work well (reads under by about 4 degrees), but the magnetic algae scraper part works perfectly. I have never had any problems removing algae with my mangnetic algae scraper. Also you do not have to get your hands wet and the magnets will even move around corners in the fish tank.

MSD
06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Does it clean your hoses, excess food and the hard to reach areas? BNP's do and they are experts at it. :D