PDA

View Full Version : growing out in a 29 gallon

gotfish?
05-16-2008, 04:20 AM
ok, i know that a 29 is too small, but i already have a 70 gal for my initial plan to do grow out for about year or so..BUT my parents wouldnt be happy to see this BARE TANK in the living for a year. so i was thinking to do something (like a planted tank or whatever) on my 70 gal while waiting for my 6-10 babies to grow out in my 29 gal placed inside my room.:D

is this a bad idea? i dont think nitrates, nitrite, amonia, etc would be a problem since il be doing ALOT of water changes, or am i wrong?? theres this guy on MFK you said that even a 20 would be fine, which kinda made me think.:D

another idea is to get another 29 to place below my existing 29, and divide my 10 grow outs into 2. so do you think?:D

Don Trinko
05-16-2008, 05:54 AM
I have done this with 4 fish in a 29 several times but I think 10 is way to many. 5 in each 29 would work for a while but within 3 to 4 months you would need a bigger tank. Water changes would have to be done properly for this to work.
You will get many opinions on WC. As long as the water parameters and temperature are close to the tank temp to many wc is better than to few. If it were me I would do 3 40% wc per week. (5 in a 29) Don T.

dwilder
05-16-2008, 11:27 AM
a bb can look alot nicer than you think,paint the bottom a nice color add driftwood some potted plants and some nice discus and you'll get lots of compliments on the tank trust me i thought the same thing about having my first bb but now i wouldn't have it anyother way

gotfish?
05-16-2008, 02:56 PM
il age the water to try to replicate my existing tank water's paremeters

im kinda scared about using driftwood...will it make my pH unstable??

pcsb23
05-16-2008, 03:15 PM
driftwood will not make your ph unstable.

bs6749
05-16-2008, 06:27 PM
il age the water to try to replicate my existing tank water's paremeters

im kinda scared about using driftwood...will it make my pH unstable??

Actually, the tannins that come out of the driftwood and go into the water can help to stabilize your pH, more so with some types of driftwood than others.

gotfish?
05-16-2008, 08:45 PM
what kind of driftwood..and plants i can use that would be ok in a grow out tank that wouldnt do anything to my pH

dwilder
05-17-2008, 12:28 PM
as said before the driftwood and plants are not going to really do any thing to the ph, thats not something you have to worry about.

GrillMaster
05-17-2008, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't put anything in a grow out tank except sponge filters...:)