PDA

View Full Version : water changes

samoyedsrule
05-19-2008, 08:28 AM
It seems everyone on this forum does alot of water changes.Are most people doing these for breeding purposes, or to get the babys to grow quicker? I am asking this , because i am thinking having discus in a display tank, with no intention of breeding.

bs6749
05-19-2008, 08:48 AM
You will want to do large PWC's for discus whether it's for breeding, raising babies, or just keeping them in a show tank. You can change less water with discus in a show tank but you will still want to change 25% of the water at least twice a week in a show tank. This is done for the general health of the fish and IS something that should be done. Larger and more frequent (daily at minimum) water changes should be done in grow out tanks with babies IMO.

Tropical Haven
05-19-2008, 09:13 AM
If you purchase juvies when you start out then you will want to keep up with water changes at least 3 times a week to get the discus to their full potential size. Once they get to adults or if you purchase adults, then you can cut back on water changes.

samoyedsrule
05-19-2008, 09:53 AM
I was thinking that i would have to do two to three water changes a week, and that is no problem. When you do water changes, other then dechlorinater, are there other additives that should be put in that would benefit discus? I have never kept discus, so sorry about all the questions.

bs6749
05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
It all depends on the quality of your water as to what needs to be added. Most water will need nothing added. If you are using tap water with a mix of RO water then you should be fine. If you are using all RO water then you may need to add something like "RO Right", by Kent Marine I believe, to add nutrients to the water. I'd suggest just using a mix of RO and tap water if your tap water isn't sufficient.

ShinShin
05-19-2008, 06:59 PM
The water in a closed system deteriorates quickly when comparing it to the quality of water discus thrive in. Daily water changes are best for discus, no matter what your intentions are.

Mat