PDA

View Full Version : 911....what size sump?

alxjss
05-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Ok u experienced sump people.... what size sump would be efficient for a 150gal setup. I want to have it undr the tank so it can't be too tall. Please, i need help desperately. My tank will be up this weekend, so this is a 911 situation......HELP
forgot to say the tank is 72x24x22.

phidelt85
05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
I will say that the bigger the sump you can fit under the better off you'll be in the long run. I ran a 40gal sump on my 125. If you're building your own sump, try and get a 55 under there.

Joander123
05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
i would even say get a 70 gallon in there... the bigger the better.

70 is 48" x 18" x 22" i believe..

MostlyDiscus
05-20-2008, 12:18 AM
I would think a 55 gallon as well if the tank isnt too tall.

alxjss
05-20-2008, 05:14 AM
tank is too tall. can't clean it. any suggestions?

MostlyDiscus
05-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe a 40 gallon breeder tank would fit.

alxjss
05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah, it probably would but didn't want to spend that much. I would have to take measurements to see. I have one, but its my sons and he wants it back so have to give it to him. I guess i will be looking around. Maybe a farm store has something. Will check it out.

MostlyDiscus
05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Hmmm. rock paper sissors for the tank :D I used pond liner and built a frame for mine. Dupont makes a product called xevan and it is AWSOME. I had all kinds of build up with the rubber liner but crystal clear with xevan. If you were close I would give you what I had left over.... Good Luck with the rock paper sissors...

phidelt85
05-20-2008, 07:30 PM
eileen, you could always use a rubbermaid container. That's how I started my sump before I made a new sump out of two 20Hs.

alxjss
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
eileen, you could always use a rubbermaid container. That's how I started my sump before I made a new sump out of two 20Hs.

Hi Jose:wave: My son said the same thing, but i have NO CLUE as to what i need, sizewise, heightwise, etc... Could u elaborate a little more? :inquisitive: :blushing:
How many compartments would i need, and i planned on using the biomedia from the existing filters. Would i need anything else? I would love to get it up and running asap, this weekend

phidelt85
05-21-2008, 08:26 PM
What I did was use the largest bin I could fit under the tank. I then used a 7gal plastic wastebasket from HD and drilled holes along the lower 6" perimeter. I filled it with my biomedia which was lava rock(not recommended). The lava rock was heavy and difficult to remove out of the sump to clean. I would go with pot scrubbies(from the dollar store) or bioballs. Place the wastebasket in the bin, and the outflow from your tank goes into the wastebasket. drop the heaters in the bin along with your return pump and done.

Here's another popular method:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_wet_dry.php

doc3toes
05-22-2008, 03:06 AM
i had a 30g sump on my 300g and it worked great. may depend on your design too.

alxjss
05-22-2008, 03:53 AM
What I did was use the largest bin I could fit under the tank. I then used a 7gal plastic wastebasket from HD and drilled holes along the lower 6" perimeter. I filled it with my biomedia which was lava rock(not recommended). The lava rock was heavy and difficult to remove out of the sump to clean. I would go with pot scrubbies(from the dollar store) or bioballs. Place the wastebasket in the bin, and the outflow from your tank goes into the wastebasket. drop the heaters in the bin along with your return pump and done.

Here's another popular method:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_wet_dry.php
that is good info jose, thanks for ur time....;)

i had a 30g sump on my 300g and it worked great. may depend on your design too.

yes?, i will definately show my son. Thank u all:angel:

alxjss
05-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Here is my tank, filled up w/water in the garage to assure no leaks. I really like this tank because it's 24" wide and 22" high. Easy cleaning....:D

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/alxjss/discuchallange001.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/alxjss/discuchallange002-1.jpg

phidelt85
05-22-2008, 09:11 PM
That's the same sized tote I had under my 125. I can't wait to see the babies in there :thumbsup:

alxjss
05-23-2008, 05:09 AM
I don''t like that tote. I think its too tall. I am gonna be scouting out the town this weekend. There has to be something out there i can find and use. :confused:

Darrell Ward
05-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Lowes has a storage container that is black with a yellow top. I forget the name of the thing, but it's really heavy duty, and made in Canada. It's rated for 300 lbs. or something like that. Holds about 20 some gals. 28 I think. It's been a while since I bought it. It sits 18" tall. I use one in the cabinet on a 125 gal. and it works great. The material is thick, and it's reinforced, so there is no flexing like those cheapo rubbermaid containers. :thumbsup:

alron2
05-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Eileen,
The picture of your tank shows a drain overflow pipe with two 90's on top. What purpose do they serve?
Thanks
Ron

Darrell Ward
05-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Eileen,
The picture of your tank shows a drain overflow pipe with two 90's on top. What purpose do they serve?
Thanks
Ron

I'm not Eileen, but it's called a standpipe. It helps keep the water in the overflow box at a consistent level by means of siphon. Without it, the overflow box level will fluctuate up and down.

alxjss
05-25-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm not Eileen, but it's called a standpipe. It helps keep the water in the overflow box at a consistent level by means of siphon. Without it, the overflow box level will fluctuate up and down.

Thanks for the answer Darrell!!! I wouldn't have been able to answer that question.

I think i will go to Lowes tommorrow and check out that bin.....thank u all for ur advice;)