PDA

View Full Version : Trying to fill lots of small jugs instead of one big one

yim11
05-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Hello,

I had an idea that it would be easier to fill all of my 5 gallon jugs together from the RO output line instead of 1 large bin/can. So I put together a water delivery system very similar to what you would see in a home sprinkler system - a main line branched off a certain intervals with an output at those branches. (see attached photo) This is one of those ideas thats much better on paper than in execution.

No matter what I did, I could not get the RO output to split beyond one jug. Even if I just used a single 'T' connector I could not fill 2 jugs at the same time.

Has anyone every gotten anything like this to work? I'm guessing the best solution here is to have the RO output into the large bin/can, then a water or sump pump out of that large bin to the water delivery system. My thought is with the extra pressure from the pump all jugs can be filled at the same time.

Hopefully, I'm not the first person to try something like this and was looking for advice.

Thanks in advance!
-jim

kaceyo
05-25-2008, 12:18 PM
You'll never get the flow to all the bottles without backpreasure, and even then gettingit to run evenly to each will be near impossible.
I'd think it would be better to run into a single drum and then send it where you want it with a pump.

Kacey

alron2
05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
What if you start out with a full jar(Call it jar a). Run the RO line into it. Siphion from jar a to jar b, then siphion from jar b to jar c , etc. Now all the jars should be approx equal in water. Turn on the RO unit and let them fill.
What do you think?
Ron

dwilder
05-26-2008, 12:31 AM
alot of work imo

Don Trinko
05-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I used different size containers and drilled a hole in the biggest one and let it overflow into the next biggest etc. I used tubing and silicone to xfer to the next container. Don T.

alron2
05-26-2008, 08:30 PM
alot of work imo

I though part of the goal of keeping discus was to create a lot of work.
Ron

yim11
06-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I figured it out - not the prettiest solution, but it works:

RO output goes into 32g Rubbermaid container (first attached image), container has a float valve for refilling as needed. A pump in the container (mini jet 404) pumps stored RO water out to the smaller jugs. I had to convert the main pump hose (1/2") to 1/4" since that was the size of the quick connects I am using.

In the 2nd attached image you can see the water being pumped into 5g jugs. With the 1/4" tubing and quick connects I can adjust the number of outputs to match the number of containers I'm filling.

As I mentioned, probably not the best solution, but since I use the water for home and fish use this makes it much easier for me to fill many containers quickly. Neither the wife nor the fish like to wait for fresh water. ;)

Thanks,
-jim