PDA

View Full Version : red melon or red rose(rose red)

southyarra
05-25-2008, 06:05 AM
newbie in discus, really do not know how to tell what i am getting is a red melon or a red rose(rose red), just want to know before getting them. Some people say they are the same, all show some pepper, but more on red melon,less on rose red, is that saying true? help needed!
If some pics, that'd be great!

LostAcres
05-25-2008, 08:09 AM
newbie in discus, really do not know how to tell what i am getting is a red melon or a red rose(rose red), just want to know before getting them. Some people say they are the same, all show some pepper, but more on red melon,less on rose red, is that saying true? help needed!
If some pics, that'd be great!

I have 3 Rose Red, which I purchased from Mike Beals From Central Ohio. None of the three are showing any pepper at all

zigster999
05-25-2008, 08:23 AM
I have a rose red. It's a fairly dark red, more into the maroon shades, and that's how it looked when I bought it. There are no pepper spots at all.

The red melons I have seen at the local fish shops all glow a light bright red, like fresh blood. I have seen them with and without pepper spots. I have been told by a couple of lfs that pepper spots indicate the quality of the fish; the more spots, the lower the grade.

But to compare, the rose red is an old-fashioned ladies' gown sort of colour and the red melons are very 21st century in-your-eye advertising red.

Hope that helps.
The Z

Rod
05-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Rose red is a type of brown discus and will not pepper. Red melon is a type of pigeon blood discus, so most specimens have pepper to some degree.

April
05-25-2008, 09:47 PM
what rod said. rose red have bars. they come from the alencers . wild type browns. they are nice fish. more of a dusky dark red. or maroon .
melons are bright red with black in their fins .
some pepper on the nose etc . keep light colour background and bottom for pigeon based fish to prevent pepper. alot of the melons have a lighter head. yellow or white.

southyarra
05-26-2008, 05:40 AM
thanks you guys for sharing the knowledges! now i have known where to start with, seems i will love rose red more than any pigeon blood red fish, peppering indeed brings down the whole quality of any type of fish.