PDA

View Full Version : Which option would you take?

amyandlars
05-26-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm too add about 4 more discus to my existing ones. So here are the options:

Option A: LFS, they sell Steinkers from Hans, so we know great quality fish, but my problem with this option is they keep 2.5 in babies in a black tank, with other smaller faster fish, and gravel at the bottom. With this option I figure I have to get the fish within a day or two of arrival.

Option B: Buy from a sponsor, only downside is shipping via fedex, expensive and stress for the fish. But I can get 3" instead of 2.5.

Option C: Buy from a hobbyist, it's a 4 hour drive, and no clue what the fish look like.

Some QT setup info: 33 gal QT, I've taken some seeded material from the main tank, but I don't think it's enough for the bioload of feeding babies 4x a day, so I'm buffing it up in a 10 gal ATM( 33 gal is not quiet, that's why the 10). If I go local i can get 2-3 at a time. My only concerns is my ability to grow out discus, the biofilter, and aggression in QT tank. I've grown out 3" fish, but my only attempt at a 2.5" left me with a really stunted fish.

Bluemarlin
05-26-2008, 01:25 PM
If it were me, I would go in this order.

C. You have the advantage of looking at them, observing the behavior and picking your own.

B. Would be ideal if you want healthy quality fish but shipping prices are hard to take, on that I agree.

A. IF I could get them the day they came in.

Your 33g Q tank should be fine, I don't worry about bio load in my Q tank as I change 80 to 90% every day if not 100%
A 10 gal you will end up with runts IMO just not enough room for 4 fish to grow at all.

Thats my 2 cents

amyandlars
05-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Let me just clarify, the 10 gal is not for QT or grow it. I plan on doing 75% to 80% wc's daily for grow out, but since my population and bioload on my current tank is a little light, I'm just buffing it up some. I figure if it can take 4 ppm ammonia daily in a 10 it should be able to take a 33 with w/c's no problem.

gotfish?
05-26-2008, 05:58 PM
im in the same situation...i think i would just go with a sponsor. shipping may be alittle pricy but im sure that im getting quality/healthy fish

Greg Richardson
05-26-2008, 07:50 PM
I agree with Bluemarlin. But why isn't the hobbyist able to send pictures of stock available? Surely they don't expect you to spend the money on gas for an unknown quality? The I don't have a camera excuse is not respectful either if that has already been used. To many people own digital camera's now to not find someone to borrow a camera from. Discus road trips are fun. But either know the person well or have pictures.
If either one of those factors aren't available go to a sponsor. And yes, ask for pictures there also. The word sponsor is not a guarantee.

BTW. If you list where you are you might find a sponsor near you to drive to or another hobbyist you didn't know about.

White Worm
05-26-2008, 08:31 PM
C- pictures of current discus for sale.
B- pictures of current discus for sale.
A- Order and have them put into a seperate tank same day with no other fish.