PDA

View Full Version : White Bumps on Discus

rogge26
05-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I have four 3.5 inch juveniles. One of them has been scratching up against plants in the aquarium. I took a closer look and it has three small white bumps. It is not ick. The bumps look more like pimples. The bumps are the same color as the scales on the fish. Other than the scratching the discus appears to be in good health. Bright not dark, still showing good color, still active and eating, is still first in the pecking order in the tank.
I should also mention that just prior to this I had an ammonia spike. Up to 0.25 ppm. using API Freshwater test kit. This was probably due to adding four discus and upping the feeding schedule from two medium sized feedings to six small feedings. I have since limited the size of the feedings, upped the water changes and added Amquel. My ammonia is now back at zero. I also plan on adding bio spira to help the filter catch up.
I read somewhere in this forum that these white spots are common with stress and bad water ie. ammonia spike. The thread said to make sure the water is good and the spots will disappear on their own. Is this true? Or should I try something else? I would rather not add salt if I don't have to. Salt is bad for plants. Thank you in advance for any advice that might be given.

rogge26
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I should also mention that the pimples are the same color as the scales. Thanks again for any advice that may be offered.

casper7
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Are they like this one ((see pic) PS not my fish)

I have seen these on my fish once, but they soon went after increasing the water changes.

rogge26
05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Yes, thank you Casper. That is what it looks like. Did it also cause the fish to scratch on plants and/or decorations?

casper7
05-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes they did rub a bit, if they are feeding well increase the water changes and they will go. If I see these now I know my water is not quite right.

rogge26
05-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the help! I am glad to hear that it is nothing serious. I was a little worried. The ammonia spike does indicate my water was not right. I will continue the water changes and hope that it clears.