PDA

View Full Version : sponge filters with or without the plastic bit on top?

zarmi
05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi all

I've recently seen numerous pictures of sponge filters being used without the cylindrical plastic bit on top, i.e. air tubing connected straight to the sponge.
Is there a difference in performance between using it with or without the cylindrical top bit?

aquagal
05-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't know about performance, but I was sick of cleaning the algae out of mine...

fishmama
05-29-2008, 09:53 PM
IMO the plastic tube creates more "pull" thru the sponge as the air is forced thru it. Thus it creates more efficient filtration. I leave mine on.

kaceyo
05-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I agree, they do perform more efficiantly with the stand pipe on. With that said, I still don't use them because they're clumsy to work with and the filters work well enough without them.

Kacey

alan j t
05-30-2008, 12:06 AM
hi all
since were on the sponge filter subject
could i connect a power head on the sponge filter
and would it still be efficient

fishmama
05-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Alan..sure, what config are you talking about? Many internal canisters are designed on the same principle. Any media pre-suction intake will help to filter/absorb solids in the water column. With many filters you add higher absorptive media and strain out more contaminants.

Tropical Haven
05-30-2008, 08:43 AM
I leave my tubes on as well but I don't try to keep them really clean because they aren't hurting anything and I will totally clean them maybe once every 3 to 4 months when I get ambicious. :D

brewmaster15
05-31-2008, 08:37 AM
They definetly work better with the lift tubes on...but like many others here....I don't use them...They are a pain to clean when you have as many as I do....They work well enough without them for me.

-al

ps... Alan... Jehmco.com sells spongefilter assemblies that work with a powerhead.

HS-FP300
http://www.jehmco.com/assets/images/Hydro-Flo_100p.jpg

Hydro-Flo Sponge Filter, single sponge
w/ Quiet One 1200, 296 gph powerhead

$28.95

HS-FP300D
http://www.jehmco.com/assets/images/Hydro-Flo-D_100p.jpg

Hydro-Flo Sponge Filter
DOUBLE HEIGHT SPONGE
w/ Quiet One 1200, 296 gph powerhead

$33.95

alpine
05-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Hydro sponge has a new material that goes better with a Maxi power head . Like Al said contact John at Jehmco , he has the whole selection of hydro sponges for sale. http://www.jehmco.com/html/hydro-sponge_filters.html

I just cleaned all my lift tubes yesterday and like everyone says it is a pain, so after thinking about it for a while I am going to take them off.

Roberto.

brewmaster15
05-31-2008, 11:40 AM
One note on this ... I also extent a piece of airline tubing into the cage of the sponge...In a way I guess this creates a lift tube inside the sponge.

hth,
al

ShinShin
05-31-2008, 03:34 PM
I always leave the uplift tubes on, myself, whether they be the Hydro's or the 4" square type (I can't see how the square types can not have one and work,actually). My reasoning is that a company will cut costs anyway they can and still have a properly functioning product. Although the tube isn't that costly looking at a single product, totaling the number of filters made annually, it would be a cost effective elimination to not provide them if they weren't really needed. Right? Wrong? Doesn't matter to me, 'cause that is the way I think. ;)

Mat

MostlyDiscus
06-01-2008, 10:02 AM
I leave the tubes off but do put a bit of tubing inside the unit. Less items in the tank for less protein buildup thus less problems. Not having to clean them is nice too:D

alpine
06-01-2008, 05:40 PM
A while back I found out that by adding some tubing and a difuser to the lower side of my hydros made my fishroom was a lot more quiet !

Roberto.

Sam Chicklets
06-02-2008, 09:09 PM
hi all
since were on the sponge filter subject
could i connect a power head on the sponge filter
and would it still be efficient

A lot of people connect ta power head to sponge filters. Filteration is dramaticaly increased in accordance with the flowrate of the power head. I prersonaly find that if you are using air power the filter works poorly if at all with out the riser tube

sophie68
06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I also think that the filters work better with the tubes on, even though I am the first to say that they are a real pain to keep clean. But surely they are there for a purpose....So I try to keep them on and my plecos LOVE to go and play hide and seek inside....

Sophie