PDA

View Full Version : Pepperd Discus

Jace94
06-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Hello guys i currently own a discus. it has peppering on it.... i asume theres no way to get it off am i currect if so please tell me

Elite Aquaria
06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Peppering is a genetic trait that all Pigeon Blood based fish carry. Some fish show more when they are stressed or in dark environments...If your fish are in a tank with a dark back ground move them to a lighter blue based back ground and it will reduce the amount off pepper that your fish will display. Good luck...

Jace94
06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
ahh okay i kinda have a green...... grassy/rocky backround..??? should i change that and change my gravel my gravel is black.. and red..

White Worm
06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
It may help because discus will immitate their surroundings (color dark/light). Its instinct from predators. A lighter background and substrate could make a difference but its not a guarantee and it may not help or remove it completely.

Elite Aquaria
06-03-2008, 07:47 AM
As Mike said it may help remove some but it will not remove all...

Surferdave
06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Just an interesting thing I found out last night. I have 2 pigeon bloods in a heavily planted tank with black background and black substrate. Of course, the ideal situation for peppering to occur. Both are peppered pretty bad, but last night when I came home, the lights were off and they had been sleeping for a few hours, I turned the lights on to try to do a feeding and they were both void of peppering. Also, during the day when their tails are usually blackish, they were absolutely clear last night. Sure enough, this morning when I came to feed, the peppering was exhisting again. So it seems in this case, the peppering is not permanent, but controlled by the fish and it's environment.

aquagal
06-04-2008, 12:20 PM
I have the opposite thing happening in my tank, which has a light colored sand substrate. I have two silver pigeons that, when the lights are on during the day, display hardly any peppering. When the lights go out, they pepper up some?