PDA

View Full Version : CLEANING TANKS BEFORE USING

patrick richard
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I am buying a few 90 gallon tanks from someone, and he told me that he cleaned one of them with Tilex cleaner. I want to know if this tank can be cleaned out so that it can be used to raise more discus. If it can be cleaned, can you give me some ideas on what to use.

Thank you,
Patrick

RickMay1
06-04-2008, 05:29 PM
IMO, cleaning with tilex doesn’t ruin the tank, yes you might want to be a little more careful in the first use of the tank and make double sure the tilex is gone. Glass or acrylic won’t absorb anything that can be released later; the only thing I would worry about would be the silicon if it’s a glass tank. I don’t think silicon will absorb anything but I don’t have any proof of that. You could buy some canary fish to see if all is clear, a few cardinals will defiantly let you know if all is not well.

Graham
06-04-2008, 06:16 PM
On quick search around plain Tilex contains detergents and the Mold and mildew one contains bleach..

Just give these tanks a real good cleaning and a good rinse and they should be fine

G

patrick richard
06-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your great information. I will make sure that I clean these tanks out really well before placing anything in them.

Thanks, Patrick