PDA

View Full Version : Paint success! This stuff STICKS!

FatFutures
06-10-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm sure some of you already know this but, I wanted to share. I just tried a new (to me) paint on several tanks. LOVIN it! Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint! This stuff rocks! It adheres to the glass nicely and, once its completely dry it is GOUGE resistant!

http://www.krylon.com/products/indooroutdoor_paint/

I know how frustrating it is to paint a tank only to put a huge gouge/scratch in the paint while moving it! No worries with this stuff.

I used the Blue Ocean Breeze (pictured in the link above) and am quite pleased with the color!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/2556350640_493cef993c.jpg

Greg Richardson
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Very nice!

dpt8
06-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Great job... Thanks for sharing Nice discus too !! David

Tropical Haven
06-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I use Krylon paint myself, you have to love the stuff for sure.

Darrell Ward
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Remember the old Krylon tv ads? No runs, no drips, no errors! Looks good.:D

kjmillerfw
06-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Great job... Thanks for sharing Nice discus too !! David

Thanks! She got those from me. :D Those were the last of the breeding program...it was fun while it lasted, but it's just too much work. However, I do still have a few pairs if I decide that I want to try again.

zinn29994
06-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Good paint job! I have found that the Krylon Fusion is an exceptional paint for backs. Try it next is works very well.

Life's too short eat dessert first!

FatFutures
06-13-2008, 08:56 AM
I looked at the Krylon Fusion first but, I don't believe that it specifically mentions glass as the Indoor/Outdoor does. At this point, I'm thrilled with the results and I like the color...

I'm just so tickled to have found a paint that doesn't fall off when you LOOK at it!

DiscusOnly
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
FatFutures:

Thanks for your suggestion on the Krylon paint. I purchased 10 cans (after running around town searching for them to find that they are available at Walmart). They look great! I love the color. It took about 2.5 cans for a 75 gallons tank.

I can't wait to see my discus in these tanks.

sophie68
07-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Hello there,

This is probably a stupid question but....:)
I assume you painted your tank while it was EMPTY, correct???? I would love to paint mine but there's no way I can relocate the discus so I am sort of stuck....:(:(:(:(:(

Sophie

Cakes
09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Hello there,

This is probably a stupid question but....:)
I assume you painted your tank while it was EMPTY, correct???? I would love to paint mine but there's no way I can relocate the discus so I am sort of stuck....:(:(:(:(:(

Sophie

BUMP can it be done while filled?

DiscusOnly
09-25-2009, 02:03 PM
BUMP can it be done while filled?

You can paint your tank while filled with water but I would not recommend the spray. There are lots of overspray when you spray can paint. Spray can should only be used in well ventilated area and if you don't want to get any overspray into the filters or tank.

hoangben
09-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Does it work for ornaments inside the tank?? Does anyone know of any spray paint that can be use for ornaments and decorative rocks that will be in water?

Ben

Eddie
10-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Does it work for ornaments inside the tank?? Does anyone know of any spray paint that can be use for ornaments and decorative rocks that will be in water?

Ben

I have read of people using Krylon fusion to paint things inside the tank but have not ever used it myself.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=21609

HTH
Eddie

CBZOO
10-24-2009, 04:41 AM
IMHO One of the best ways I have found to "paint" tanks is to take foam board insluation and paint it. then you cut it to fit for the bottom, two sides and the back. Then simply tape it in place. It works real well and as an added bounus you get the insualtion value of the foam arround your tank. This makes it easier on the utility bills when heating tanks of discus. You also get the benefit of self leveling of the stand when you use the foam underneath it. Also if you ever sell the tank and the person buying the tank does not want that color all you have to do is remove the tape and you are back to a non painted tank... NO more scraping paint off of tanks..:) This also alows you to re-do the tank without draining it as you can paint the foam board somewhere else and wait for it to dry. the only "Problem" I have had with this method is if you have to use a HOB filter you will have to make a cut out for the filter so that it will fit.

dpt8
10-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Great idea, Do you hve any pics of your tank so we can see the results ?? :9) David T