PDA

View Full Version : USA - Illinois

brewmaster15
06-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi all,
If you want to be found by other hobbyists in your area you can list yourself and contact info here....This section will be state by state for the USA. If you want to start a thread please check to see if its already started ... If you start a Location Thread.. please follow the standard of Country First, then state or province etc.

Thanks,

al

Tropical Haven
06-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi my name is Scott and have been in the discus hobby for 18 years, I live in Gilberts which is in the Western suburbs of Chicago. I also breed Angel fish as well.

William Palumbo
06-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi, my name is William...most call me Bill. I live on the NW side of Chicago...Been keeping discus for a bit over 20 years....Bill

CharlesRT
06-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi, my name is Bob (middle name is Charles, RT stands for Red Turk). I'm in a northwest suburb of Chicago. Been keeping Discus for about 5 years, no luck breeding yet.

Harriett
06-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi, I'm Harriett. I've been doing discus about 8 years. I live in Evanston, just north of the Chicago line.
We have done a few Chicago area discus hobbyist meetings at a LFS called Old Orchard Aquarium in Skokie, over the past few years--there are a good 12-15 people or more who have regularly attended. Perhaps we should put one together later in the summer, if there is an interest. THe fish shop is 2 minutes off of 94 at Old Orchard Road.
Best regards
Harriett

William Palumbo
06-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Sounds good!...would love to meet other dicus nuts in my area....Bill

ez1946
06-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi, from Shorewood, Il. just west of Joliet. My name is Ed and I just decided a year ago to get back with discus tanks. Very glad to know there are others in the area.

William Palumbo
06-24-2008, 11:50 PM
You would think with a big city such as Chicago...that there would be more discus hobbyist. Maybe everybody is too shy to come forward!...Bill

Porkchop
11-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey everyone! My name real name is Anthony and I'm from Carpentersville. Just getting into the Discus hobby. I've always had aquariums on and off as a kid up till now but I've never had Discus. I love everything about them and look forward to the new addiction. Right now I have 3 juveniles in a 25 gallon and am in the process of cycling a 55 gallon.

I look forward to soaking up as much information as I can about Discus and raising them. I'm not sure that I would ever want to breed them as I think I would not have the time or room but hopefully one day.

Porkchop

diadiscus
11-13-2009, 04:58 PM
My name is John and been keeping discus for about 2 yrs. I live on the uptown Chicago.

Thanks,

John

satt71
11-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi

My name is Sathish. I have been having discus for more than 15 years. I live Schaumburg in IL.

Nice to see guys from Chicago joining in...

TURBOFROG
11-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi,

My name is Brian Im in Bridgeport, and I have been into Discus for 2 years now. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Peter Chang
11-14-2009, 02:15 AM
Hello Everybody !

My name is Peter Chang. I live in Hanover Park, IL.I have been keeping
Discus for more than 2 years. Yes it would be fun to meet up with people with the same addiction.lol:D

Harriett
11-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Welcome and hello to you all! I don't know if you caught the thread 'DISCUS CHICAGO??????' but we are holding a get together this Saturday at 6PM at the Old Orchard Aquarium store in Skokie, on Skokie Blvd just north of Church St., right off 94. We would be very glad if you could join us--just search fo that thread and take a look--complete directions and info are listed in the posts.
We look forward to a relaxing and interesting meet up! PLZ come!!!!
Best regards,
Harriett

dqirsh
11-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Hello everyone!
my name is Irshad. just got back in to Discus.

Harriett
11-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Welcome, Irshad! How about coming to the meeting we are holding, this Saturday early evening? Plz see my post above.
Thanks!
Harriett

dqirsh
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks Harriett! I am working this sat:mad: but i hope to make it to next meeting. hope u all have a good time!

twocat
11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Mark. I am from Bloomington, IL and have been into angels for about 9 or 10 years. I have wanted to get into discus for a few years and recently purchased a few small ones.

If anyone is from central IL. send me a e mail and lets talk.

twocat

Father&SonReef
04-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Hello,

Do you have any Discus for sale. Please email me at petronej@hotmail

bon243
04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Dylan,
just got into discus

damachine
04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Ryan,
Have had a few discus tanks in the past, really getting back into it right now. From Schaumburg Illinois

Pardal
04-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi All, my name is Julian. I am from Jacksonville Fl, I' ve been into Discus for about 10 years, with angels, and salt water on the side. for the last three years I went in to Discus only. These days I'm living in Honolulu Hawaii. for at least next three years. Right now I'm working in reunite all the Discus lover's here in Oahu. We want to creat a loose Honolulu Discus Association.
If you are intersested please e-mail or PM

geodehunter
06-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Anyone in West Central Illinois? I am right on the Mississippi River. My name is Robbie and home town is Hamilton.

Chicago Discus
11-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone my name is Josie I have had discus for 5 years now and recently started getting into breeding. I'm from chicago IL, north side any questions or comments just PM me. I would love to get together with other discus nuts. please let me know if there is still meetings going on.

Sandy Clay
05-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi, my name is Sandy and I live in Streator IL. I have been raising fish for over 25 years, but, just started the Discus about 2 years ago. It is really hard to find any for sale around this area. Streator is about 60 miles north of Bloomington or 60 miles south west of Joliet. Anyone have any for sale around this area?

Trier20
01-20-2014, 02:59 AM
Hello Illinois crowd! We had a good turn out at our last meeting held in Janesville but would like to see a better group as we become more organized. This will happen as more people join in the happening. We have people from Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa. The potential is here to have a great group that sets the foundation to discus keeping and to teach that foundation and love for discus keeping to others in our area. You may contact me via pm if you're interested. Whether you're an experienced keeper or a novice you're welcome to join.

vendingman
03-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Hello, my name is Dave. Im new to Discus and have only been in the hobby since 10/2013. I have a 36bow as my original tank, now converted to a hospital tank where I have 4 occupants trying to nurse back to health that I purchased from a local well known imported that came down ill. Learned the hard way and didnt follow the golden rule because of sellers reputation and added to my other discus show tank, a 75 bow front with other fish already in it. Removed the 4 I purchased and removed and established a hospital tank back in the 36 with a med regimine of PP, Quick Cure and Metro at different intervals. Also have a 155 bow accupied by other cichlids. Will convert to a discus show tank once Ive gained more experiernce and healthier fish. I live west of chicago and new to this site as I stumbled on it while searching knowledge and info on my sich discus. Read many postings and enjoy all of the knowledge as well us the ups and downs you more experienced keepers have. I hope to learn as much and enjoy the hobby like the rest of you and lynk, buy or trade locally while connecting with nice people. In the meantime I will continue to reads the posts and answers to hopefully get my sick ones back in shape with your help and experiences. Thanks

Dave in Aurora Illinois

DiscusLoverJeff
03-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Welcome Dave. You have some good SD members right in your neck of the woods.

Hope you enjoy the forum. Lots of valuable information here.

vendingman
03-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks Jeff, looking forward to the forum and lynking to local members. Btw, what a beautiful Discus as your posting picture! What is that color called?

Bill63SG
03-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Hi Dave,welcome to Simply.I cant be to far from you,around 95th and 59 if you need some help.

vendingman
03-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Hi Bill. You may want to take that advice offer back as Im having a slew of problems. Lol. Im close to Eola and North Aurora Road north and west of the mall 10 minutes. Glad to have someone close by. At the moment I have raised ammonia and and nitrate levels in my 75 show tank and 4 beautiful (were) in my 36 hospital tank with quick cure and metro treatmant currently. Last week I did a PP treatment and will do another PP this weekend. Hope your fish are doing well.

Thanks

DiscusLoverJeff
03-18-2014, 07:04 PM
My avatar is a Blushing Red from Jeffrey Yang and courtesy of Mike Beals importer at Central Ohio Discus.

DiscusLoverJeff
03-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Bill might be the right person to talk to Dave. He is very knowledgeable (before the drinking, Lol).

Bill63SG
03-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi Bill. You may want to take that advice offer back as Im having a slew of problems. Lol. Im close to Eola and North Aurora Road north and west of the mall 10 minutes. Glad to have someone close by. At the moment I have raised ammonia and and nitrate levels in my 75 show tank and 4 beautiful (were) in my 36 hospital tank with quick cure and metro treatmant currently. Last week I did a PP treatment and will do another PP this weekend. Hope your fish are doing well.

Thanks

Well,you can post in the sick section if you like,or get over 10 post's,tell someone how nice thier fish look,thats how we do it,and then you could pm me if you want to.ill be home all day tommorrow,and home this weekend.

vendingman
03-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Great I will do that and get over the par to play the course. Thanks again Bill

n8rdms
04-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Hey all, names Nathan. I live right in central Illinois in Shelbyville. We have a large lake here which some of you may have heard of, Lake Shelbyville. Nearest fish store is 1.5 hours away for me.......I just bought a house a year ago and finally got a larger aquarium 90gal. I'm getting my first Discus from Kenny this month.

Bill63SG
04-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Welcome Nathan.Theres starting to be a decent group of us growing in these parts.Check out the club forum under MWDH and maybe we can see you at one of our meetings.

Allwin
04-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Welcome Nathan!!!

Wes
04-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Welcome to SD Nathan. Been down in your neck of the woods many times bass fishing. Beautiful area.

Allwin
04-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Welcome to SD Nathan. Been down in your neck of the woods many times bass fishing. Beautiful area.

Wes, remember your taking me to fishing this season :-) :-) :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sandy Clay
04-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Welcome Nathan! I took some classes at SSI (Software Solutions) in Shellbyville. I work for a fertilizer plant and they had just installed Agvance on their computer. Nice little town.

n8rdms
04-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the welcomes. I figured there would be someone here that's been fishing on our lake. We get a lot of people from up north come down here. It's nice because all the ground around it is Corps ground so nobody can build on it. Nothing but woods and water out there. I'll make sure to check out the MWDH. Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for keeping fish haha.

n8rdms
07-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Well my life is going to change a lot. We are having a baby. I'm not going to be able to dedicate the time or money to the aquarium like I should, so I need to get rid of everything. The problem is my LFS won't take my fish. I have 5- 5.5 to 6" Discus from Kenny that I need to get rid of. The Raf. and Classic Leopard appear to be a breeding pair with the Raff. being a female. I need some advise about what to do with these fish!

n8rdms
07-01-2014, 08:23 PM
1- 5.5"mosaic turq. = $125
1 - 5" leopard with ring gene(select) = $128
1 - 5.5" classic leopard, the fish in the last picture you posted if possible = $115
1 - 4-4.5" blue diamond with deep blue gene = $68
1 - 5-5.5" rafflesia the fish in the second pic you posted if possible = $155
This is the invoice from Kenny I got but is by no means what I need for them.
The classic leopard and the Raff have paired off and the Raff has laid eggs 4 times in a month but no fry.

MKD
07-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Sorry you have to sell them and congrats on new baby.

I think you should post in buy/sell section for better chance.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»

DiscusLoverJeff
07-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Nathan, did you try posting on Craigslist?

I love Shelbyville, I have fished your lake many, many times. Too bad the Walmart shut down all the mom & pop stores there.

forevaufo
08-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Hello, I am Allan.
Just got into Discus :D
I am also from Chicago

Wes
08-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Hello, I am Allan.
I am also from Chicago

Welcome to SD Allan, The addiction starts with one discus.

Mapet
08-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Hello, I am Tom.
I am from north Chicago.
I have discus 1,5 year now.
Rght now I got Wild. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNDmHwptSdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLG6R5igdhY

DiscusLoverJeff
08-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Welcome Tom.

DiscusLoverJeff
08-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Hello, I am Allan.
I am also from Chicago

Welcome Allan.

Chicago Discus
08-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Hello, I am Tom.
I am from north Chicago.
I have discus 1,5 year now.
Rght now I got Wild. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNDmHwptSdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLG6R5igdhY

Very nice fish Mr.

SUPERDUTY DISCUS
11-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Hello My name is Matt and been keeping discus for about 2-3 years now. Thanks again guys. Form joliet Il

Bill63SG
11-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Hey Matt,glad to see you made it.

juneebear
03-20-2015, 06:00 AM
Hi. my name is Edwin and I live right here in Skokie, Illinois.I am new to discus fish.

Brettwhite72
01-31-2016, 09:05 PM
Hello Everyone, My name is Brett. I'm from Quincy, Illinois (west/central). I currently have a 210 gallon aquarium for discus (and a few angels). 93910

Wes
01-31-2016, 09:08 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus Brett.

rickztahone
02-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Hello Everyone, My name is Brett. I'm from Quincy, Illinois (west/central). I currently have a 210 gallon aquarium for discus (and a few angels). 93910

Welcome to SimplyDicus Brett. Not sure if you are aware that the NADA organization is hosting a discus meet this year in July? If you would be interested in joining, check out this link:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120339-2016-NADA-Discus-Show-Chicago

Cosmo
02-01-2016, 05:06 PM
My name is Jim, I live in the Old Irving Park area of Chicago - been keeping Discus on/of for almost 40 years

14Discus
11-20-2018, 11:49 PM
Hello people,

I'm living in Peru, IL abt 90 miles SW of the big city. I'm a retired biology teacher and have been into fish for many decades....tropical and Koi. About a year ago I got into discus and love it. My Discus are upstairs in the 75g tank while the Koi are in the basement pond 400g for the winter from the 6,000g outside pond. Also upstairs is my 55g tank w gouramis, cardinal tets, angel, and platies. Between the two tanks is my recliner for viewing......or maybe more accurately described as my nap spot.

abijitr
07-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Hi there, Abi from Naperville, IL about 40 miles west of Chicago (P.S. not always right with directions:P) ... have been in the aquarium hobby for over 15 years, everything from bettas, cichlids, angels, sharks... & into discus for the past 8 years. Currently have a 150G discus community tank with 10 stendkers about 4” & growing... looking to add 2 more Asian reds... Rafflesia in the coming weeks to complete the tank!