PDA

View Full Version : USA - Texas

brewmaster15
06-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi all,
If you want to be found by other hobbyists in your area you can list yourself and contact info here....This section will be state by state for the USA. If you want to start a thread please check to see if its already started ... If you start a Location Thread.. please follow the standard of Country First, then state or province etc.

Thanks,

al

yim11
06-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Hello,

My name is Jim Hall, I am located in Arlington, TX (between Dallas and Fort Worth).

I am a discus keeper, no breeding (yet ;) ), and look forward to meeting others in this area. I can be contacted via PM or email at jimhall1@gmail.com.

Thanks,
-jim

FatFutures
06-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Morning all...

My name is Michelle. We live in Richardson, TX with our two Great Danes, 15 Discus (SS, turq, virgin reds, pigeon, millenuim gold, BD, and one mystery discus), assorted rainbows, albino BN, endlers, clown loaches, a few other assorted tropicals and a few shrimp.

I've just moved a snakeskin pair to a breeder tank but, I've not adjusted my water yet (added RO). AS soon as I moved them, one of our Danes developed serious heart problems and we are still involved with that.

I hope to be breeding by this fall. I also hope to acquire a breeding pair of Melons or Virgin Reds (or something similar).

endo213
06-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I am very dedicated to this hobby and will put in 100 efort to build a strong discus foundation in the DFW.i am makin space to make room for some quality discus.I am learning with the fish i have,goals are to breed high quality discus to get more people involved and be able to house nice discus with out having to break tha bank.i will look forward to meeting u guys soon as i can tell yall share the same love 4 this hobby as i.
STEVE..

CaroleVM
08-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Hi all, My name is Carole VanDerMeulen, I have just started having Discus again after 30 years without. I live in Clifton, Texas which is right next to Lake Whitney, 30 miles or so to the north of Waco. As of right now I have 15 Discus and a couple of Parrot fish in another tank of course. Would love to meet other Discus Lovers too.Please feel free to email me at grandma4kody@hotmail.com
Have a good day and will look forward to hearing from you.
Carole

Tonyintx
11-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi my name is Tony, I have been keeping Discus for close to 10 yrs and still learning. I live in San Antonio and I am always here at Simply.

wow_it_esploded
12-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey there, my name is John. I currently do not have discus but I am slowly scraping pennies together for them.

I live in North, San Antonio and love this city!

Tonyintx
12-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi John,
So do u keep any fish right now?

thekarens
02-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Hello, my name is Karen and we have 2 tanks, one a 7g nano planted with celestial danios and a betta and a 90g with cardinals and golden rams. Plan to get my first discus group from Dan at Gulf Coast Discus this weekend. Happy Valentines to me! ;)

Eddie
02-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Hello, my name is Karen and we have 2 tanks, one a 7g nano planted with celestial danios and a betta and a 90g with cardinals and golden rams. Plan to get my first discus group from Dan at Gulf Coast Discus this weekend. Happy Valentines to me! ;)

Wow, that is a fantastic Valentines gift....why didn't I think of that. :D

Can't wait to see pictures of the fish. Dan has some awesome quality discus.

Eddie

bavaria36
02-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi,

I live in Houston,Tx. I have 6 tanks at home - one community tank and five discus tanks right now. I'm lucky enough to live close to Daniel of Gulf Coast discus so I can easily get my hands on good fish. I have some wild greens , some Snakeskin pigeons that I grew out myself and my latest pride and joy - 11 4" Heckels.

The greens and the pigeons have spawned may times but I have yet to get to the wriggler stage.

Aaron

thekarens
02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Daniel was kind enough to let me have the first pick of the tiger turqs. I now have nine beautiful discus in my tank. Happy V-Day to me!!!! I'll post pics once they have settled in. They aren't too sure right now.

discusjoe27
05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
hi my name joe. "JO-"E"(joey) I have 13 discus in a 135,and a 55 I just start to set up today for discus. I'm in plano, and there are a few other on her from the dfw(dallas/fort worth) area. how long do discus live?

DLock3d
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm in Bedford but probably going back to Las Colinas in a few months. I have 12 Discus in two 55 Gallons.

discusjoe27
06-17-2009, 02:54 AM
any of you TEXAS people bring any discus to the houston fish auction Sunday june 21th(fathers day), everything will be there fish,tanks,equitment,food,
fish magazines,etc etc. I'm hopping to make it down there with my friends and are group fishconnection. we will have t-shirts on so come say hi to us.

discusjoe27
10-25-2009, 06:51 AM
bump, jim,jon,john,etc etc any of you DFW guys/ladies going to be bringing any driftwood/discus to the texas cichlid asst. auction today in irving 2001 irving 75061. it's the hotel/motel right next to water burger at 183 and valley view lane.

amunoz7
11-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Aram and I'm from Allen Texas and currently have 8 discus in my 55g tank. (6 juvies and 2 bigger ones) I am fairly new to the hobby but totally hooked!!

ChloroPhil
11-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey y'all,

My name's Phil. I'm currently living outside Atlanta, GA but am moving to McKinney in a few weeks to do some aquatic plant research at a local lab. I got involved in the discus hobby 7 years ago here at SD under the name Biotypical. I'm a big fan of wild-type fish and am very interested in keeping discus in planted aquariums. My focus in the hobby is how to best keep fish and plants together so they both show their best. It's been a few years since I actually kept discus but I recently got my hands on a nice big tank and am looking forward to growing out a little school of youngsters.

Regards,
Phil

John_Nicholson
11-29-2009, 09:50 PM
There are several discus nuts in these parts. The Texas Cichlid Assn. is the largest club around and most of us are active in it. Hope to see you around once you get settled in.

-john

ChloroPhil
12-01-2009, 04:20 PM
There are several discus nuts in these parts. The Texas Cichlid Assn. is the largest club around and most of us are active in it. Hope to see you around once you get settled in.

-john

Oh, I'm sure you'll see me more often than you'd like. :) I took up computer gaming to keep myself too busy for "too many" tanks. Now that I've got the big tank on the way and school/work ramping back up I've given up gaming and am back to daydreaming about all the stuff I want to do with aquariums.

Cheers,
Phil

discusjoe27
12-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Oh, I'm sure you'll see me more often than you'd like. :) I took up computer gaming to keep myself too busy for "too many" tanks. Now that I've got the big tank on the way and school/work ramping back up I've given up gaming and am back to daydreaming about all the stuff I want to do with aquariums. Cheers,Phil

did I hear big aquarium how big?:)

ChloroPhil
12-08-2009, 12:06 AM
225g, 72x30x24. :D

discusjoe27
12-09-2009, 11:26 AM
225g, 72x30x24. :D

that is big I had a 225 gallon aquarium, 72x24x30. the lady I sold it to turned it in to a saltwater aquarium.

ChloroPhil
12-11-2009, 01:36 PM
haha, this used to be a reef tank that's being turned into a discus tank...obviously. :)

Now, I'm looking at moving the tank on the afternoon of the 19th and could use as much help as possible to get The Beast from Ft. Worth to McKinney. If anyone reading this can help please PM me so I can make up a list. Food and "tasty beverages" will be provided.

Thank you!
Phil

gwrace
02-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi All

My name is David and I live in Round Rock, TX just north of Austin. I'm currently looking to purchase 5-6 small discus in various color varieties for a show tank. If you know of a quality breeder or supplier close to my area I'd appreciate a PM or follow-up post.

I did locate a retail store in Austin called River City Aquatics that sell Stendker Discus. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this store?

Thanks!

David

John_Nicholson
02-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Don't know anything about that store but Stendker discus are a good way to go. I would inquire with the store and get your fish as soon as they get them in. Bad things sometimes happen to discus once they are at the store for a while. If you every get up to the DFW area there are several on us that breed discus. Also hope to see you at the NADA show in June.

-john

namasgt
02-04-2010, 01:31 AM
David

Dan at "gulf coast discus" lives in Houston, his a sponsor here. I bought Discus from him before and had good experience. Sometimes he brings in an assortment of wilds.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Good Luck

John_Nicholson
02-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Not sure but I thought Dan sold out to some other guys.

-john

namasgt
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Really?
last time I talked on the phone about 5 months ago and it was him who picked up.

John_Nicholson
02-04-2010, 02:19 PM
I might be worng but Ithink it was posted on here somewhere that he sold out.

-john

Discusgeo2
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Dan has sold his store but you may catch him there once in a while. I think he his going back home (Philipines) to be an exporter

John_Nicholson
02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks George

-john

namasgt
02-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Dan has sold his store but you may catch him there once in a while. I think he his going back home (Philipines) to be an exporter

Thanks for the clarifying that. I remember he said he was going back and forth to Philippines, and was planning to move back. I met him in person back in May 2008, we talked for like 5 hours, very nice guy.

mcishaque
02-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Hi All

My name is David and I live in Round Rock, TX just north of Austin. I'm currently looking to purchase 5-6 small discus in various color varieties for a show tank. If you know of a quality breeder or supplier close to my area I'd appreciate a PM or follow-up post.

I did locate a retail store in Austin called River City Aquatics that sell Stendker Discus. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this store?

Thanks!

David

Austin, TX also here. May also try Aquatek off Burnet. They carry discus there as well. I go there because it is more conveniently located for me. I'm not affiliated w/ them in any way. I also thought that their fish looked better and healthier.

Good luck with your purchase. I'm pretty new to discus. Have you much experience with them ? Maybe we can meet up sometime locally and trade stories ... ?

http://www.aquatektropical.com/

John_Nicholson
02-07-2010, 03:09 PM
On the way from the deer lease I stopped there just to look around. They had a few discus but nothing that was better then C grade at best. Maybe it was just a bad day but I would suggest biting the bullet and just shipping in some discus from one of the sponsers.

-john

mcishaque
02-07-2010, 03:22 PM
On the way from the deer lease I stopped there just to look around. They had a few discus but nothing that was better then C grade at best. Maybe it was just a bad day but I would suggest biting the bullet and just shipping in some discus from one of the sponsers.

-john

John-

Where did you stop in at ?

Reason I ask is because, being a newb, I'm curious about which store's discus you are rating as C grade ...

I was at both RiverCity and Aqatek last weekend and it'd be good to have a frame of reference from an expert's point of view as to what a C grade might look like.

John_Nicholson
02-08-2010, 09:54 AM
The one in Burnet.

-john

mcishaque
02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks, John.

The other store's fish looked worse (to my very untrained eye).

gwrace
02-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Well it happened today. Snow in Central Texas at the Capital City and northern suburbs. I can count on one hand the number of times this has occurred in the 29 years I've lived here.

http://galleries.statesman.com/gallery/snow-central-texas/?srcTrk=RTR_95609#62379

gwrace
03-09-2010, 04:47 PM

-john

That's just what I did. Picked up 6 juvies from Hans....Very nice fish and great service.

John_Nicholson
03-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Glad it worked out. Hard to go wrong when dealing with Hans.

-john

dfwfishguy
03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Hi,

I am Puru, i have been in the hobby for several years. Including planted and cichlids. I am planning to get my first discus soon, any local breeders in Dallas let me know.

Thanks,

Puru

John_Nicholson
03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
There are several of us. Most of us are members of the Texas Cichlid Assn. so club meetings can be a good place to meet us. We arew also members/offices of NADA which is having a huge blowout show/workshop/auction this summer in Dallas. HOpe to see you there.

-john

wesleydnunder
03-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Howdy folks! I'm Mark and live down by the coast in LaMarque, Tx. One of the saddest days in my life was when Dan sold out and moved back home. I visited his store , Houston Aquarium Warehouse frequently. I currently keep wild RSGs which came from him before he moved. I've been keeping discus since 1989 and will always keep these wonderful fish. I've recently taken on a side job as a contract electrical inspector for a local city and I'm planning on a 300 gal or so discus tank...all wild RSGs if I can find a reliable local supplier.

gwrace
03-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Other than the local LFS suppliers does anyone know of hobbyist breeders in the Austin-Round Rock, TX area. I'm looking to stock up a newly cycled 75 gallon tank with 6 or so small discus.

Thanks!

david

John_Nicholson
03-26-2010, 09:32 AM
There are several of us around DFW but I do not know of any around Austin currently. There is a Hill Country Cichlid club. They are great people and might know of someone.

-john

jestep
03-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Other than the local LFS suppliers does anyone know of hobbyist breeders in the Austin-Round Rock, TX area. I'm looking to stock up a newly cycled 75 gallon tank with 6 or so small discus.

Thanks!

david

I live in Austin as well. I haven't seen any local breeders here. Best place to get discus here is river city aquatics. Personally, I think it's worth the drive to houston aquarium warehouse as their stock and prices are far better than anything here, actually the best quality fish I've ever seen. Their website shows pictures of the actual fish in the tank that they are in.

halo_demo
08-26-2010, 03:09 PM
My name is Michael and I live in good ol' Lubbock Tx.. No one really near here, and only one LFS that has ever had a discus. (note how I said A Discus)
I recently went to Austin and stopped by River City, and I can honestly say.. those were the saddest discus I have ever seen. I don't know if I caught them on an off day/week/month, but ther was a black discus, and several emaciated ones that made me wanna cry. I would never buy discus from that place.. I order mine from Kenny and they are BEAUTIFUL.. so much so, that I want to spend all my student loan money on a bigger tank, just to get some more :D. Like I said.. I don't know if it was just a bad time, but I was not pleased with river city, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Also, if there is anyone near Lubbock, It would be great to hear from ya

yim11
08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
My name is Michael and I live in good ol' Lubbock Tx.. No one really near here, and only one LFS that has ever had a discus. (note how I said A Discus)
I recently went to Austin and stopped by River City, and I can honestly say.. those were the saddest discus I have ever seen. I don't know if I caught them on an off day/week/month, but ther was a black discus, and several emaciated ones that made me wanna cry. I would never buy discus from that place.. I order mine from Kenny and they are BEAUTIFUL.. so much so, that I want to spend all my student loan money on a bigger tank, just to get some more :D. Like I said.. I don't know if it was just a bad time, but I was not pleased with river city, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Also, if there is anyone near Lubbock, It would be great to hear from ya

I do miss Tech, but not so much Lubbock, although you probably have it easier now that the town is wet. LOL

If you ever get down to the metroplex let us know, there a few nice fishrooms and houses to look at.

Take care,
-jim

Skip
08-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I am here in AUSTIN AMERICA!..

only a newbie to discus.. but i have the FEVER really bad!! i look forward to make a trip up to the METROPLEX in the next couple of weeks!!

Skip
09-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Hello Fellow CENTEX Discus people were are you.. !!

DGman
09-18-2010, 11:10 PM
I live here in Mesquite
My family lives in Lubbock so I am out there from time to time. May be we could meet up out there. I know the store you are speaking of in Lubbock. Theres just not much there.
Maybe I could even bring some fish out there from here in Dallas there are several of us here.
D'Wyatt

yim11
01-09-2011, 04:00 AM
"Please keep this section non-commercial...Commercial posts will be removed.The exception here is listings by Forum Sponsors"

H82LOS3
01-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Oooops ok sorry

macc44
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Hello,

I'm Mac from Frisco TX. I've got 10 Discus (2 browns, 1 blue turq, 2 red turqs, 2 snows, 2 Penang Eruptions (juvies) and 1 Leopard Eruption (juvie) in a 75 gallon tank. I just picked up the last 3 juvies which are excellent specimens. Thanks Jim!

John_Nicholson
02-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Welcome. Always nice to see another person from Texas.

-john

yim11
02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Hello,

I'm Mac from Frisco TX. I've got 10 Discus (2 browns, 1 blue turq, 2 red turqs, 2 snows, 2 Penang Eruptions (juvies) and 1 Leopard Eruption (juvie) in a 75 gallon tank. I just picked up the last 3 juvies which are excellent specimens. Thanks Jim!

Thanks Mac! Welcome to Simply!

CajunAg
04-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Dang I don't know how I missed this part of the forum. Anyway,

My name is Luke, live in Houston, and I am currently cycling a 65gal drilled and hooked up to a 20gal sump (just got my first nitrite reading last night, woo-hoo!). I'm planning on getting 6 adult discus from either Kenny or Hans, along with some sterbai corys and rummynose. After spending literally months reading up on this forum, as well as others, and planning the tank's every detail... I'm already starting to get impatient with a fishless tank (week 2 of cycling). The cycle is moving along, I'm just ready to get some fish!

Glad to meet every one!

Skip
04-01-2011, 11:01 AM
After spending literally months reading up on this forum, as well as others, and planning the tank's every detail... I'm already starting to get impatient with a fishless tank (week 2 of cycling). The cycle is moving along, I'm just ready to get some fish!

come to austin! i have seeded HYDROSPONGES!! bring me a fish from Houston Aquar. Ware. for trade ;)

CajunAg
04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the offer Skip! I used SeaChem Stability to get things going, looks like it is working. Hopefully I'll be done in a couple weeks, fingers crossed :)

You know Dustin no longer works at HAW? It's run by a guy named John now, he's got some nice wilds in stock

Skip
04-01-2011, 11:19 AM
i noticed that.. John is good people... but they are not updating their website! :(

do they have domestics also?

CajunAg
04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
They did last time I was there. A lot of blues, solid and striated, juvies and adults, & a few PBs. I know, I wish John would update this forum at least... but I know he is really busy.

John_Nicholson
04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Hey CajunAg what year were you? I was class of '88

-john

CajunAg
04-01-2011, 12:39 PM
John,

Class of '08, BS in Ocean Engineering. What about you?

-Luke

Skip
04-01-2011, 12:59 PM
John,

-Luke

Ag.. they are having a Get together at yim11 place.. i am going. you and JNic can do some of them fancy Aggie songs! can you say!! ROAD TRIP!!!

John_Nicholson
04-01-2011, 02:24 PM
John,

-Luke

Ag Econ. I have no clue how I ended up being a programmer.

-john

CajunAg
04-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Skip: I saw that on the other thread, don't think I'll be able to make it up. If you'll host the next one I'll be there!

John: Haha nice, that is a stretch. I'm pretty much where I expected to be, but who knows down the road.

Cambik
04-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Hey all, I am in Round Rock and am brand new to the Forum. Would be nice if we had some local breeders around that didn't require a hour or more trip. I noticed the get together in Dallas this weekend but unfortunately I won't be able since this is my reserve weekend and will be at Camp Mabry. Maybe next time.

Stephen (AKA Cambik)

Skip
04-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Welvome to sd!

Cambik
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Any new Breeders show up in the Austin area other than driving to Dallas or Houston? The Two lfs really don't have good selections for Discus. At least from what I have seen.

nwehrman
08-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Ok - never posted here. Lol how did I miss this page?

Anyways- Nicole Wehrman here just south of Austin and I have had fish since I was 15. Discus 5-10 years ago and then a discusless time (had ornamental goldfish and Africans) now back into discus. Recently got six breeder pairs from John Nicholson (they are doing great!) I have a group of pet quality discus (you know the sick learner ones that brought me to Simply in the first place) in my planted 150 gallon. Also have a juvenile group of red covers and blue Turq's from Txredneck.

Setting up a fish room in the next few months (hoping before Christmas) but for now fish have taken over the dining room!

Cambik
08-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Welcome....I am sure skip has met you. Oh which pairs did you get from John...me and skip were up there in June. So we may have seen them and they were all excellent looking fish. There are about 8 or so of us in the Austin area... I am in Round Rock myself. Maybe we can do another get together when skip and I get back from our trips.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

nwehrman
08-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Met Skip and have been to his place! Picked up the Juvenile group from him - he held them for the day for me. Would love to get together --

I got the red marlboro pair, a flachen/flachen snake, the blue pb pair, pb snake pair, blue diamond pair, Turk/SS pair. All are wonderful and settling in good. Giving them few weeks to rest before giving them cones again.(heat was horrible!) then I'm sure I will be overrun with fry!

Cambik
08-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Oh be careful.....Skip wanted the Marlboro Pair. So he might try and sneak them away. I remember all the others and they were beautiful at Johns place. If I remember correctly the turquoise/SS pair had fry attached when we were there as well. (Think maybe 6 days old) Anyway we both get back The weekend of Sept 10th. So am up for a get together after that. Oh I have the other two fire reds from Hans. We got our at the same time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

nwehrman
08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I am sure he wanted them- they are gorgeous! They had laid eggs the day we picked them up. They are starting some courtship behaviors now.... Really all of them are. But I'm refraining from giving them cones!

I was leaning towards ordering fire reds and some others from Hans before John decided to sell because of this horrid drought. Then that was too good of an opportunity to not pass up.

A get together sounds good to me. You and Skip be safe on your trips.

yim11
08-28-2011, 10:40 PM
All that great info and no pics!?!?!? :)

I am sure he wanted them- they are gorgeous! They had laid eggs the day we picked them up. They are starting some courtship behaviors now.... Really all of them are. But I'm refraining from giving them cones!

I was leaning towards ordering fire reds and some others from Hans before John decided to sell because of this horrid drought. Then that was too good of an opportunity to not pass up.

A get together sounds good to me. You and Skip be safe on your trips.

nwehrman
08-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Can't find the charger for my camera - and crappy Iphone pics just do not do them justice! Still looking for charger - only 20-30 boxes left! We moved several months ago and unpacking these last few boxes is just lower on the to do list!

AmayaxSin
02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Austin Tx. :]

Names Amaya. Graduated at o'10. I'm a graphic designer/animator so if any of you need a logo or design I'll be happy to for a very small prize considering what people prize, lol.

Anyways. I own 5 discus, one dog, a gourami and a black molly, a double yellow headed amazon parrot, and a sun conure parrot which I think of as my baby!!

Anyways, that's a little of me. :]

Cambik
02-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Welcome....I am in Round Rock....Skip is close to central Austin. There are a few of us around here. We try and get together every so often.

AmayaxSin
02-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Welcome....I am in Round Rock....Skip is close to central Austin. There are a few of us around here. We try and get together every so often.

I reside in the south region of Austin. Every now and then I go up north to my college at the Art Institute. And I wouldn't mind having a nice meeting about discus! Need all the help I can get as I am a noob with questions! Haha.

Skip
02-22-2012, 09:48 AM
I reside in the south region of Austin. Every now and then I go up north to my college at the Art Institute. And I wouldn't mind having a nice meeting about discus! Need all the help I can get as I am a noob with questions! Haha.

even people in the hobby for 30 yrs still learn new things..

nwehrman
02-22-2012, 11:47 PM
even people in the hobby for 30 yrs still learn new things..

Only if you want to continue to learn...which I do too! I'm in San Marcos, we really should have a get together again!

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psionic
06-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm late to the party. But I'm Val and I live in San Antonio. In currently growing out 6 ring leopards. Now they're hitting their sub adult sizes :)

-Val

Skip
06-20-2012, 12:57 PM
VAL.. good to see you ventured from TPT to be here with US :)

farebox
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi all, farebox on the forums. Roland living in San Antonio, keeping discus two years now. Was into planted tanks before the discus(now all BB tanks). I have an 125G, 55G, 40G Breeder, and 20H for my breeding pair of red turqs. I want to meet people keeping discus to share info & experiences. Also I have 18 red turquoise juvies- 1.5" that I would like to sell to people whom will care properly for the fish...can pm or email me: rolewilson63@gmail.com
farebox

trusty
06-21-2012, 01:32 AM
I love roundrock getting them huge donuts.......:()

trusty
06-21-2012, 01:34 AM
I am in EP, texas I was in Waco tx for training for 5 months I plan on moving to Austin or Waco maybe even San Antonio in the future but for now I love west texas............... Discus I have alot..........

trusty
06-21-2012, 01:35 AM
But I am always visiting waco and austin due to my job.

Tonyintx
06-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Hey Roland, Tony here I also live in SA and also love RT Where did u get your Discus from?

John_Nicholson
06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Howdy new folks. Always nice to see new Texas folks.

-john

nwehrman
06-26-2012, 04:58 PM
As John said Howdy everyone... we are working on a get together for Austin/Central Texas Discus folks... was just looking for a few more names...

magewynd
06-26-2012, 05:08 PM
My son is in Liberty Hill. He doesn't know it yet but when you guys have a meeting I'm crashing at his place. If you guys host NADA 2014 I'm moving in.

nwehrman
06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Skip got the group up...pm him for an invite. Lone Star Discus.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97419-Lone-Star-Discus-Group..

trusty
06-27-2012, 12:16 AM
I want in I will be in waco in September.. Sweet cant wait....

gwrace
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM

I'm also in Round Rock. I'd appreciate a heads up on the next meeting.

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 02:05 PM
gwrace be sure to join the Lone Star group. That will keep you in the loop.

-john

Skip
06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
gwrace ..

your in :)

farebox
01-13-2014, 11:02 PM
It sure would be nice to meet some people in this great city of ours who are into discus.... I'm farebox(SD), have an125 gallon tank with 13 discus. Anybody else out here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

nwehrman
01-14-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm Nicole - I'm just north of San Antonio in San Marcos. I have a few breeding pairs and some grow outs of discus.

John_Nicholson
01-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Not sure where we are having out next Lone Star Discus Club meeting but you are more than welcome to attend.

-john

nwehrman
01-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Discussing locations now on here and Facebook - look for us there also - Lone Star Discus Club - looks like a go for the 1st - location to be determined yet

Tonyintx
02-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Hi Guys,

I have kept Discus for close to 20 years, but currently don't have any because i have gone back to school to finish getting my degree, but as usual the discus bug keeps biting and I'm toying with the thought of getting some again. Oops i forgot to say that i live in San Antonio as well.

farebox
02-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Hello in San Antonio, kept discus the last three yrs. Can pm me.

John_Nicholson
02-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Tont show up to NADA and I bet that discus bug will get real bad...LOL.

-john

Tonyintx
02-12-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm sure i would John, but i already mentioned to my wife that I'm feeling the bug and she gave me that look. So ill be treading lightly.

John_Nicholson
02-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Bring her to the show and she will change her mind....LOL.

-john

misael_0
04-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Hi all, Misa here from San Antonio. New to the forum. I recently renewed my interest in the hobby. Don't have any fish or equipment yet. Doing a lot of research. Used to keep fish years ago in a 29 gal tank. So some experience. But from what I'm gathering now, I know there's a lot I didn't know. What I do know is that I'm falling in fishlove for Discus... LOL I'm sure I'll stop by for all my Discus questions. Thanks in advance. :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

John_Nicholson
04-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Just posted to your other thread. Once again Welcome. Always nice to see the discus hobby growing in Texas.

-john

farebox
04-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Hello, I live in San Antonio and very much into discus. I can give you advise from what I've learned in the last few years since starting keeping discus fish. I currently have three tanks, 125, 55, and 40 breeder. Right now the 55G tank set up for sale with two starter discus. You will need to provide filter for the tank. Well welcome to SD.
-Roland

misael_0
04-09-2014, 01:00 AM
Hello again, thanks for the welcoming John and Roland! Really excited about getting into the hobby again. And loving all the info on Discus in the forum. My goal was to have a custom tank between 90 - 120g and keep anywhere from 9-12 Discus respectively. A 55 might be a good place to start though. Where are you selling from Roland?
-misa
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

farebox
04-09-2014, 04:04 AM
I live in San Antonio 78250

vickie52
06-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Hello, Vickie here. I live about an hour SE of Dallas. I've been trying to keep discus for some time and lost many. But the addiction is still with me. I have two blues about 3-4 inches right now that survived in a Rubbermaid tub while their aquarium leak was repaired. I figured they wouldn't make it and I was destined to accept angelfish as an easier alternative. My tank is a 55 gallon. I have never been to a show and hoped to go to the one in Austin. Is there a fee just to enter and see the fish on display? If I hoped to buy 3 inch fish must I bring my own ice chest and bags etc. for the 4 hour drive back? Or is it wiser just to order them and pay airfreight? I am retiring from teaching, and figure I might be better able to keep up with the water changes. I've noticed one post from a man in Arlington. I'd love to hear from others nearby. Any ladies out there who want to share a room? what with the gas and $109 a night fee, I'd never be able to buy fish.

nwehrman
06-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Hello, Vickie here. I live about an hour SE of Dallas. I've been trying to keep discus for some time and lost many. But the addiction is still with me. I have two blues about 3-4 inches right now that survived in a Rubbermaid tub while their aquarium leak was repaired. I figured they wouldn't make it and I was destined to accept angelfish as an easier alternative. My tank is a 55 gallon. I have never been to a show and hoped to go to the one in Austin. Is there a fee just to enter and see the fish on display? If I hoped to buy 3 inch fish must I bring my own ice chest and bags etc. for the 4 hour drive back? Or is it wiser just to order them and pay airfreight? I am retiring from teaching, and figure I might be better able to keep up with the water changes. I've noticed one post from a man in Arlington. I'd love to hear from others nearby. Any ladies out there who want to share a room? what with the gas and $109 a night fee, I'd never be able to buy fish.

Hello and welcome!

The show is worth every penny!

I travel with fish in 5 gallon food safe buckets all the time between dallas and San Marcos (just south of Austin) but most of the suppliers will have bags for your fish also probably - just ask.

Lots of the Dallas/Arlington crew will be at the show. We occasionally have get togethers up there also -

There is no charge to visit the showroom and the vendors but to hear the awesome speakers who will change your thinking on Discus Keeping flown in from around the world you need to pay the registration fee of 50.00 - this is a bargain.

Post on one of the Show countdowns and see if you can find a roommate that way... Maybe? Hopefully I get to meet you soon!

Nicole Wehrman

John_Nicholson
06-05-2014, 07:14 PM
I am in Caddo Mills, we own some land in Van Zandt county, and my middle daughter is going to school in Tyler so we are all over east Texas. Where are you from?

-john

vickie52
06-05-2014, 11:06 PM
I live in a small town called Kemp. It is one of the many towns surrounding Cedar Creek Lake. About an hour and a half from Tyler. Half an hour from Athens or 45 min. from Canton.

musicmarn1
06-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Anyone in CO? im not finding anything in search can we start a CO thread or how do i find the nearest hobbyists to me in colorado? cheers ! it may be that Tx is nearest active place in which case ill brush off my best drawl and i do have cowgirl boots and my own horse :)

John_Nicholson
06-06-2014, 07:44 PM
I live in a small town called Kemp. It is one of the many towns surrounding Cedar Creek Lake. About an hour and a half from Tyler. Half an hour from Athens or 45 min. from Canton.

I know exactly where you are at....When I was younger I caught many a cow in that area.

-john

vickie52
06-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Do discus folks in the DFW area get together on occasion? I don't think I can manage the Austin show. I want to learn more about the fish, but have limited funds to spend. With only a 55 gal. tank and 2 discus, I need advice how to proceed. The only place I've found that sells them locally is in Garland. I figure I may go there and buy 2 or 3 more the same size and just try the get used to the water changes. My tank has a back filter and two air stones for air bubbles. I read somewhere that the tiny bubbles were bad for the fish. Guess no one told my two guys. I keep seeing photos of some type of sponge filters setting on the bottom of the tank. I don't see how these two have made it so long when I know so little. I try to check the PH and it reads very high around 8 or 9. Bright orange anyway. All the advice is that discus need to be in groups of 5 or 6. I hate to spend and add more only to have problems. Needless to say I don't have a tank to quarantine them in. I used to have large rocks and thick gravel and as my fish developed diseases, I read about bare bottom tanks for cleanliness. But that look seemed too bare for me. So now I have just a bare thin covering of gravel and two small rocks. I would be thrilled to keep 4 or 5 healthy but if it means daily water changes or larger tanks etc. it may not be possible for me. Even finding this thread again isn't easy! But I will check to see if you offer advice. Thanks from a definite "wanna be."

rdiscus
06-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Welcome .... if you come to Garland for Discus, stop my place to see if you like something if they're same size with yours. I'm in N.Garland, very close to the LFS you're going to ...

vickie52
06-09-2014, 11:22 PM
I would enjoy seeing your fish. I am retired now and plan an outing sometime for the fun of seeing tanks of discus. The place I read about is Dallas Discus. They ask you to make an appt. If you can tell me where you are and when a good time would be, I will love to see two places. Be prepared for questions. :) Thanks for the response.

schmotto
06-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Before you buy, try Ryan (rdiscus). Definitely worth the trip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

John_Nicholson
06-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Some of the fish clubs will have get together at my fish house from time to time. Ryan is a great guy. Which fish store? There is one that I would avoid like a plague.

-john

rdiscus
06-10-2014, 09:41 AM
When you get 10 post or more, PM me for time and location ... I'm close to Dallas Discus

John, not fish store ... Dallas Discus in Garland

John_Nicholson
06-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Been there several times. He is a nice guy.

-john

vickie52
06-10-2014, 11:57 PM
Will do. I may still try to come at least walk through the show. It seems ridiculous not to go, when so many are flying from all over for the opportunity to be there.
I joined a local Koi club last year, and learned the hard way that spending money at stores instead of paying dues to a club and learning about the hobby, is a waste of time and money. So I hope to reverse the process this time. In case I really decide to go for it and have a larger tank, there's a better chance of buying from a club member who wants to replace a "tiny" 75-100 gallon with a larger set up as opposed to going to a store with little knowledge. I don't plan to raise Discus or create a "fish room" with barrels of aged water. I just hope to keep a group of 5-6 alive and even have them in a planted aquarium someday. I have watched the Wet Pets utube video several times with its show tank of discus using some kind of "reflugium?" filter to reduce those beloved daily water changes. All I have is a filter that hangs on the back and two airstones for bubbles. Left overs from when it was a basic tank for angel fish. My two survivors have beat all the odds, temperature fluctuations, PH so orange on the test strip that I'm not sure what it is, inconsistent water changes...maybe they don't know they're Discus. I'll keep reading the beginner section and try to figure out how to make it to Austin somehow.

John_Nicholson
06-11-2014, 08:22 AM
I hope you make it to the show. You will not regret it.

-john

vickie52
06-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Tried sending emergency private message. Not sure it went through. Please call if it did or text here. I bought the show tank in Austin and can't get the ammonia to reduce from .50 even with 75% water changes.

nwehrman
06-23-2014, 09:55 PM
What water conditioner are you using? If it's Safe or Prime or even the Fritz stuff that was at the show - it says on the bottle most test kits will show ammonia ...

nwehrman
06-23-2014, 09:57 PM
How are the fish doing is a better question?

John_Nicholson
06-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Doing fine....

-john

nwehrman
06-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks John!

Jstaabs
06-24-2014, 02:36 AM
You guys did a great job with putting on the show.

John_Nicholson
06-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Thanks. It took a lot of effort from a lot of folks but I would not trade it for anything.

-john

navarro1950
05-18-2015, 05:19 AM
Is Gulf Coast Discus now called Aquarium Warehouse on Murphy ?

Knick
05-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Discus Newb here, from Fort Worth TX. Still in a huge learning curve, currently have 2 tanks with Discus a 180 with 6, and a 150 with 4. Hoping to be able to get more stock for both tanks over the coming months.

John_Nicholson
05-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Your in luck there are a few of us in the area that raise them.

Good luck.

-john

RussSD
06-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Hello DFW Area,

I just moved to Grand Prairie a few of months ago from San Diego (Grandkids). I get asked why a lot... So far I like it here, more rain then I expected to see, anyways... I have my tank set up and is ready for fish. I have always wanted to have Discus. Hopefully with this message I can reach out to some breeders in the area selling some of their fish. The ones is see in pet stores are just sort of bland, the picture's on this site really show the vibrant and many colors that are out there. The tank is 55 gallons so I should be able to get maybe a half dozen in there without any issues. I have no plans what so ever to breed them, just to enjoy the beautiful fish when I'm working in the den. Thank you. Russ

John_Nicholson
06-09-2015, 03:09 PM
I always have some for sale. All bred right here in North Texas. I am in Caddo Mills which is about 35 miles north east of Dallas.

-john

KeithBNimble
06-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Good afternoon.

My name is Keith and I live in San Marcos, TX. I have actually been a member of Simplydiscus.com for several years but have not been active. I currently have a 165 gallon, non planted, primarily angel fish, tank. My wife says she misses the old 90 gallon bow front which was a planted discus tank. So now I am doing some reading. To be honest I never did get the whole water quality thing down. We have hard water here with a p.h around 8.3. I would love to convert my 165 gallon back to Discus but not use real plants so I don't have to worry about fertilizing, lights, substrate, temp, etc.

If there is anyone or any clubs near San Marcos I would love to know about it and meet up with folks that wouldn't mind doing some show and tell on their set up.

Keith

John_Nicholson
06-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Good luck with your tank. I don't really know of too many discus folks down in your area.

-john

KeithBNimble
06-17-2016, 08:12 AM
Thanks John

Considering I am smack between Austin and San Antonio I was hoping I would have better luck.

Keith

jacobm3
07-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Anyone in the Houston or Katy area?

I recently bought a house and I'm looking at buying my first decent sized tank (~75g) and setting it up as a BB discus tank with an MBF. Everyone in the house is onboard.

I remember meeting a successful discus guy many years ago while buying something random off Craigslist and I was surprised to learn some things from him:

- he used basic tap water without any adjustments other than dechlorinator and his tap water ph was over 7.0
- he had an impressive (to me at the time) semi-automated water change system involving a large aging barrel connected to home plumbing system

He never had to carry a bucket! I decided in that moment that if I ever got back into aquariums I'd have discus and an easy wc system like that!

Rapture
07-29-2016, 12:16 AM
I'm in Houston using water straight from the tap, and prime. Aging your water would be best, especially if you are doing large water changes. I've had good results with 30% or a little more (however much it takes for me to siphon out the fish waste), every couple of days, in an understocked 75 gallon with sump. I'll likely start aging water in the future, as I'd probably get better growth from my fish with larger, more frequent water changes. My fish's size are pretty on par compared to the published Stendker growth rate, so I'm not too concerned at the moment. This is my first time having a large tank or discus, or seriously keeping fish at all, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Just make sure your tank is completely cycled before getting the fish.... I may have had problems with that in the beginning.

farebox
07-29-2016, 07:09 AM
I reside in San Antonio, water also very hard. I have an 125G and 40G breeder tank running now. Use a mixture of 70% straight from the tap w/ safe and 30% RODI water, doing 50% WC daily (after feeding my beefheart mix). Been doing this well over two years with great success with my discus.

tvo
03-17-2017, 11:42 AM
do we have any club events and such for north Texas community? i love a chance to join and participate.

LaFaun
01-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Hi Tony, I'm LaFaun in North San Antonio. I have a discus tank set up and am looking for fish. Do you have any suggestions?

LaFaun
01-09-2021, 02:37 PM
Hi Farebox, this is LaFaun in San Antonio. What is the hardness after the mix? Do you have any discus for sale?

farebox
01-10-2021, 10:00 AM
Currently, I'm doing 50% weekly water change straight from the tap with Seachem Safe added. No fish for sale. Check my latest video: https://youtu.be/29J-z8Vopq4

famtsberg
01-19-2021, 12:19 PM
Hello fellow San Antonioians. I live in Marion. Love to compare notes sometime.

Prickly Pete
04-14-2021, 10:45 AM
Hello All!

Just wondering if anyone has some leads on sellers/breeders in the Dallas, Fort Worth area. My LFS has had a tough time getting them and all of the message/emails I've sent have not responded. Perhaps its just tough to get stuff stock in general, but thought I would try!

famtsberg
04-15-2021, 11:15 AM
You can check on aquabid.com. It took me awhile but I found a great breeder in Austin. I live in NE San Antonio so is only an hour drive away. If you check the discus section and look at the seller information most are breeders. Some are from Texas. Send me a PM if you would like the breeder info from Austin.

Fritz