PDA

View Full Version : USA - Virginia

brewmaster15
06-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Hi all,
If you want to be found by other hobbyists in your area you can list yourself and contact info here....This section will be state by state for the USA. If you want to start a thread please check to see if its already started ... If you start a Location Thread.. please follow the standard of Country First, then state or province etc.

Thanks,

al

LostAcres
06-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi, I am new to the hobby, since March 08.
Have 15 discus/3 tanks.
Located in No. Virginia, Warren County in the mountains 75 miles west of Washington DC.

Iris
Lost Acres Jack Russells/BMT's

noshow discus
06-16-2008, 06:46 PM
been off and on with discus since 1991
i am the king of misfit discus
and i live in Glen Allen Virginia better known as Short Pump
jtflemmons@yahoo.com

jt30
12-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Hi All,

New to the hobby since April 2008, (found a yard-sale 55 gallon tank in Dale City and am hooked). I don't feel I have enough information yet to start a discus tank, but soon!! I've learned a lot form the forums, and want to thank everyone who took the time to share their knowledge and experience.

truc_tuyen
01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Live in Manassas
Currently have around 30 fish. Discus only
PM me if you need more info

Jules4me
01-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi, I live in Richmond..Midlothian area. I am somewhat new to keeping Discus but have been in love with this hobby forever. Currently, I have three tanks set up and I pond in the back yard that has been GREAT fun.

lemondiscus
05-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I met noshow discus before and like him I have many "misfit" discus... I do have a handful of nice ones too.... I have been keeping Discus for a few years myself.

I live in Richmond... Feel free to PM me if you wish!

DonMD
05-11-2009, 05:48 PM
I've had discus since 2001 after returning from an overseas posting. We live in Fairfax, VA. Am upgrading my 90 gallon to a 125, due to arrive next Wednesday, and am busy plumbing behind the wall in the dining room so that I can simplify my water changes.

You know you've gone over the edge (my family reminds me often) when you take a live fish down to Blacksburg, VA to the aquatic vet for a diagnosis! That was a great experience, saved the rest of my fish, but I lost that one, of course!

-Don

hboute
05-25-2009, 07:37 AM
I live in Falls Church, VA. Just upgraded from a 75 gallon to a 178 gallon with 6 discus, soon I will buy some new ones.

mountain_priest
02-27-2010, 05:17 AM
i live in Virginia Beach, started keeping discus as a hobby last year and now learning how to breed. i have 10 discus in a 120g planted tank.

Singin4Cnu
02-27-2010, 11:56 AM
I live in Newport News VA, about 45 mins from VA beach. Currently have a 75 with 7 discus, working on a second tank for a shot at some wilds. I keep many types of fish and also keep a few reptiles (4' Tegu, 5' Ball Python).

htruong
02-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I live in Annandale, VA. I have Discus for about 3 years. I have 40 Discus - 5 breeding pairs. And I have a KOI pond in the backyard as well.

-Hoang

boonseong
02-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Live out in Herndon. Kept these lovely guys 10 years ago. Just got back into the discus scene. Currently have only 4 of them, but looking to get more once I get a bigger tank!

htruong
02-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Hey guys,

It's time to trim my planted tank. I have lots of hornwort plants for FREE. PM me if interested. Pick up only please.

-Hoang

htruong
02-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Live out in Herndon. Kept these lovely guys 10 years ago. Just got back into the discus scene. Currently have only 4 of them, but looking to get more once I get a bigger tank!

Hey Boon,

It was nice meeting you and your wife yesterday.

-Hoang

mountain_priest
03-09-2010, 03:07 AM
I live in Newport News VA, about 45 mins from VA beach. Currently have a 75 with 7 discus, working on a second tank for a shot at some wilds. I keep many types of fish and also keep a few reptiles (4' Tegu, 5' Ball Python).

its great to know that theres a simply friend close by. i have 2 heckels in the group(2 cobalt blues, 2 pigeon blues and 2 snakeskins) and they are the dominant resident even tho they're the latest addition:D

Slipperhead
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm a newbie living in Midlothian, VA. In fact, I don't have any fish yet! I'm still learning and reading and trying to visit some others to check out their setup. I just stumbled on this section of Simply that lists some of the discus folks from VA! I hope to visit some of you soon!

Planning a nice setup will be important for us! Architect wife will demand that it "looks good". I don't mind putting in the the time and money but I want to make everything as easy as possible. I travel from time to time and I have learned (with orchids) that I shouldn't depend heavily on family and friends to tend the chores in my absence!

Water changes, feeding regimen and water chemistry intimidate me the most. I want to ensure I can dedicate adequate resources to the hobby before I can commit! I may have to lay off a couple of hobbys before I can take on this one!!! Maybe some of you know what I mean!

Thanks to all for your help so far. This is a great and helpful group. I have yet to PM or email anyone and not have them respond enthusiastically!

Garland in Midlothian, VA

coseal
10-26-2010, 10:33 AM
new guy in richmond! have kept aquaria on and off for awhile. did salt for about 4 years. then tried planted. now giving discus a shot!:D

DonMD
10-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm a newbie living in Midlothian, VA. In fact, I don't have any fish yet! I'm still learning and reading and trying to visit some others to check out their setup. I just stumbled on this section of Simply that lists some of the discus folks from VA! I hope to visit some of you soon!

Planning a nice setup will be important for us! Architect wife will demand that it "looks good". I don't mind putting in the the time and money but I want to make everything as easy as possible. I travel from time to time and I have learned (with orchids) that I shouldn't depend heavily on family and friends to tend the chores in my absence!

Water changes, feeding regimen and water chemistry intimidate me the most. I want to ensure I can dedicate adequate resources to the hobby before I can commit! I may have to lay off a couple of hobbys before I can take on this one!!! Maybe some of you know what I mean!

Thanks to all for your help so far. This is a great and helpful group. I have yet to PM or email anyone and not have them respond enthusiastically!

Garland in Midlothian, VA

If you plan on coming to northern VA, send me a pm if you want to visit.

coralreefer68
04-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi all, newbie starting discus for the first time. Don't actually live in VA, but the closest city to me is Danville, Va ( 10mins away ). So I am posting in both VA and NC. Cruising the forums and sponsors now looking for discus! Any suggestions or any comments would be welcome!

John

Latro
05-01-2011, 02:05 AM
I live near Manassas in northern VA. If you're interested in selling juvies locally feel free to PM me; I am intending to get 2-3 in the nearish future.

dnphillips08
07-03-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm a new member. I have a planted 75G with 6 discus and a few other fish. I live in Chesapeake and work in Newport News for now... Good to know there are people around who keep discus as well.

alleykat0498
11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Richmond here and I'm late to the party as always, I've been keeping fish as long as I can remember. Irene killed the power for 9 days and I lost all of my marine tanks and I went back to FW because its the last time I can remember enjoying the hobby. I picked up a mated pair of adult red turquoise a few days ago and I hate to admit it but I'm hooked!

Ill be rehoming the last 2 fish in my 180 and devoting it to discus within the next week, I just need to get rid of a 2' clown knife and a fat oscar

DelawareJim
11-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi, I'm Jim. While I live near the MD/DE/PA border (the wedge) Im a member of GWAPA and travel throughout morthern VA monthly. Had discus on and off for about 10 years starting back in the early Marc Weiss years (early '90's?) currently keep a heavily planted 110 and a couple of 30's.

Cheers.
Jim

DonMD
11-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Welcome, Jim! You'll have to stop by on one of your trips through NOVA LOL.!

jffoley
12-29-2011, 04:44 PM
John here from Fairfax, VA. Originally from NYC. New to the site and new to discus. But not new to fish keeping. Since I was 7 long, long ago I've kept just about everything at one time or another except Africans and discus. Currently, I'm running a 150gal reef, a 10gal tropical community (always loved neons and corys!) and a 90gal backyard pond, Recently, I decided to remedy the situation of never having kept discus before!

I prepared a 37gal as my starter tank and found Truc from Manassas on CL raising some that I've put in. They have acclimated nicely and so far, so good! I will be adding a 75 or 90 for them as their main display tank in the near future.

MostlyDiscus
12-30-2011, 09:51 AM
John here from Fairfax, VA. Originally from NYC. New to the site and new to discus. But not new to fish keeping. Since I was 7 long, long ago I've kept just about everything at one time or another except Africans and discus. Currently, I'm running a 150gal reef, a 10gal tropical community (always loved neons and corys!) and a 90gal backyard pond, Recently, I decided to remedy the situation of never having kept discus before!

I prepared a 37gal as my starter tank and found Truc from Manassas on CL raising some that I've put in. They have acclimated nicely and so far, so good! I will be adding a 75 or 90 for them as their main display tank in the near future.
Welcome to VA jffoley
Good luck with your disucs...

Ed

wildwiley
02-13-2012, 10:06 PM
hi I'm Caleb from Norfolk VA I have a 55 salt tank and am on here to gather as much discus info as I an so i can start a tank

williemcd
03-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Bill in Richmond, Va. here.. Currently I'm keeping 6 Scorpions that I've had for almost a year. They were spawned Feb 11 of 2011 I think.. I picked them up at about 2 months. I also have a Pigeon Blood a bit older!. Looking to meet other local Discus keepers and possibly pick up a dozen fry!.. Bill

Larry Grenier
08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm a former Discus keeper but who knows, I'm lurking here :-) I'm in Manassas, VA.

drob85
04-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Hello
My name is Dustin I am from Va Beach I have been keeping a Discus tank for only a couple of months i have a 75 gal. tank with 9 discus 1 bushy nose pleco 20+ Black Neon Tretras

BillyTRichVa
09-04-2013, 01:01 PM
My name is Billy. I live in Chesterfield, Va and keep a 125 gallon with 11 discus and too many plecos. I have been working with Discus this time around for about 8 years now.

DonMD
09-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the forum, Billy. Sounds like you've got a lot of experience with discus.

Kimberline
09-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Hi I'm Kim Reese,

I live in Patrick Springs, Virginia. I have about 30 discus, 2 which are breeding pairs. And a gazillion aquariums. Would love to find other people in my area with discus. I also have a discus group on Facebook if anyone is interested. https://www.facebook.com/groups/allaboutdiscus/

Tankster
01-13-2014, 01:51 AM
Greg from Warrenton. 16 gallon in my sons room a 40b and a 55 hiding in the closet in the basement waiting for the 240 to arrive on the 18th. I have a lot of construction to do. Need to build the stand and canopy for the 240. I need to build to tank racks in the fish room and have some plumbing that needs to be done. I hope to by cycling tanks in the next 3-4 weeks and hope to have fish in my grow out within the next 2-3 months.

DonMD
01-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Welcome to Simply, Greg, and we look forward to reading about your progress!

Tankster
01-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Welcome to Simply, Greg, and we look forward to reading about your progress!

Thanks Don - I am looking forward to moving from the planning stage to the build stage. I have my moments where I question my sanity but they pass quickly when I picture the finished product.

I only wish I was ready back when you had fry! How did that batch do? If I recall you kept some?

Varma
03-07-2014, 04:12 AM
I am from richmond, va.(Glen Allen) lost my discus during move and long vacation. only 1 Red Turq (20 months age)Around 5.5 inches in my 90 gal tank. Lost lot of plants too. It is a female and had a laid eggs earlier with Dark Angel Male which I dont have anymore. I am planning to exchange/sell this Red Turq female and start fresh with new strains. Any local guys are interested ping me.

DonMD
03-07-2014, 08:04 AM
I am from richmond, va.(Glen Allen) lost my discus during move and long vacation. only 1 Red Turq (20 months age)Around 5.5 inches in my 90 gal tank. Lost lot of plants too. It is a female and had a laid eggs earlier with Dark Angel Male which I dont have anymore. I am planning to exchange/sell this Red Turq female and start fresh with new strains. Any local guys are interested ping me.
Welcome, Varma, to Simply. When you're ready to buy new fish, you might consider a drive up to Baltimore to visit Hans, it's worth a visit. Probably a three hour drive for you, or more, depending on traffic.

TropicalCreations
03-08-2014, 10:22 AM
My name is Chris Teem and I'm back in Alexandria now. I currently have three breeding pairs and lots of offspring on the way since I have to clutches of eggs. Is there a group that meets here in the DC area?

livinginLOCO
03-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Hi,

My name is Matthew and I live in Ashburn. I am just getting back into discus and look forward to interacting with you all!

Larry Grenier
03-08-2014, 11:33 AM
My name is Chris Teem and I'm back in Alexandria now. I currently have three breeding pairs and lots of offspring on the way since I have to clutches of eggs. Is there a group that meets here in the DC area?
Hey Chris, There is the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society in our area. They have monthly meeting and the guest speaker in June is Discus Hans. Several members keep discus.
I'm a former discus keeper thinking about setting-up a 90-100gal this spring so LMK when your fry are ready :-)
I'm kicking myself for not jumping on Don's Stendker's Tefe fry he was selling a little while back.
So Chris, what strains do you have?

DonMD
03-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Hi, Chris,

I discussed the possibility of organizing a group with Ed Most a while back, but with one thing and another, it sort of got lost. Ed came up with a good name, tho, MADA, for Mid Atlantic Discus Association. At one point I sent out a feeler here on Simply, and there was a good amount of interest, but due to lack of initiative (mine LOL), it sort of floated off into the ether . . .

DonMD
03-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Hey Chris, There is the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society in our area. They have monthly meeting and the guest speaker in June is Discus Hans. Several members keep discus.
I'm a former discus keeper thinking about setting-up a 90-100gal this spring so LMK when your fry are ready :-)
I'm kicking myself for not jumping on Don's Stendker's Tefe fry he was selling a little while back.
Hi, Larry,
I didn't know Hans was scheduled for PVA, that's great news. I've got a pair of Red Turqs going now if you're interested, no Tefes tho. Maybe in a few months.

Larry Grenier
03-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Hi, Larry,
I didn't know Hans was scheduled for PVA, that's great news. I've got a pair of Red Turqs going now if you're interested, no Tefes tho. Maybe in a few months.
Thanks Don, really interested in Tefe's or wilds or wild/domestic crosses

Attachment just for fun

TropicalCreations
03-08-2014, 10:49 PM

Very familiar with them and actually had a table at their last aquafest and some of my fry in the auction. I wanted to make to days meeting but still moving stuff :(.
I keep the following pairs:
Blue Diamond/ Royal Blue Turq
Pigeonblood Pair
Leopard/Red turq Pair

disc-va-757
03-09-2014, 11:23 PM
I've been gone learning " salt " and having fun with my 125g !! But I came across a deal on a 150g long and have enough stuff to put it together laying around to set up another Discus display - anyone around have any WILDS for sale I left the discus with being able to own a paired wild brown from Hans ! I would really like some 3 bar heckles again if they are around.. Sorry I been outta the circle

TropicalCreations
03-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Hello, I would like to let everyone know that there is a new discus group in the US. MADA is a group that has been discussed a lot and now moving forward with it. We are based in the Mid- Atlantic region of the US and just a bunch of discus keepers who wish to get together and talk/ share our experiences with other discus keepers over food/ drinks. By no means am I trying to take away from other local fish clubs but think it would be cool to have a group of people who are into Discus. We would work beside ALL clubs to help both of our clubs grow together and spread our passion for fish/ plants across the Mid Atlantic. This group would meet at different peoples houses across the area for our socials and meetings. If you are interested in joining or wish to know more please feel free to email us at midatlanticdiscus@gmail.com

Larry Grenier
03-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Hey Chris, Mid-Atlantic is a big area. Where/when is the 1st meeting?

Larry Grenier
03-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Hey Chris, Mid-Atlantic is a big area. Where/when is the 1st meeting?

Discus-VA-757 - An alternative to actual wilds would Stendker Tefe, Alenquer, & Santarems that Hans sells near Baltimore. Wilds are almost always found on Aquabid by a seller named Snookn21.

Fisher126
03-29-2014, 10:48 PM
New to the forum and Discus in general. Live in Yorktown, Virginia.
Shane

smudge
03-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Hi Don,
I also live in Fairfax VA. Might be nice to talk to someone local about Discus. Have you ever attended a Potomac Valley Aquarium Society meeting. We meet in Fairfax at the Green Acres school near George Mason. We have a huge auction this Saturday April 5th. We have several Discus lovers and will have Hans Discus speaking at one of our meetings (May or June). Would love to meet you in person.
Susan (Smudge)

DonMD
04-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi Don,
I also live in Fairfax VA. Might be nice to talk to someone local about Discus. Have you ever attended a Potomac Valley Aquarium Society meeting. We meet in Fairfax at the Green Acres school near George Mason. We have a huge auction this Saturday April 5th. We have several Discus lovers and will have Hans Discus speaking at one of our meetings (May or June). Would love to meet you in person.
Susan (Smudge)
Hi, Susan,

I haven't attended any PVAS meetings, but I've heard of them. How long have you been a member? Are discus your main thing, or just a passing interest?
Some of us are thinking about opening a Mid-Atlantic Discus Association in the near future, and we'll probably start with a meeting at someone's house in the area. George Mason is only about 2 miles from my house, but this Saturday is not possible for me, otherwise I would have come. We'll be in touch. -Don

TropicalCreations
04-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Ill see you there Susan and can tell you more about MADA

disc-va-757
04-19-2014, 01:01 AM
I was able to sell off all my 125g salt set up and got this 220 drilled with wet/set sump everything is from AGA I'm very happy to become a Discus keeper and. I have 240 pounds of rock I will scape out this weekend and *** water to cycle for about 2 months with tank mates before adding Discus !!

Def going with Hans Tefe , I miss have wild browns and heckles

bhound2
04-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Hi all. In Chesapeake. Have 6 of Hans discus and am looking to add 2 more to the tank. If anyone has a couple discus they want to find a good home for, I will be glad to provide the home. I am not a breeder. I have a very nice planted acrylic show tank. Send me a pm if local and maybe we can get together and figure out something.

MIke D
05-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Hello All,

I'm here in Charlottesville, VA. Would love to talk Discus with any of you who might be nearby. I raised these fellas in the early 1970's to help offset college expenses. I haven't had a tank in the house since the late 70's. I've been looking around and I'm absolutely shocked to find the spectacular intensity and variation of the hybrids today. I was particularly impressed with Kenny's Discus. I doubt we have anyone like him on the East coast? I showed some youtube videos to my wife last night and she was also impressed. I'll be deciding on a place to put the new tank and scouring Craigslist for a good size one.

I'm retired so feel free to email me at DrD (at) 2020 (dot) com. I hope it's okay to post my email address? I'm a newbie on the forum.

Mike

Tankster
05-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Hello All,
I doubt we have anyone like him on the East coast?
Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to the Forum. You have found what will be your BEST resource for discus. As far as great fish houses on the East coast, look up Discus Hans -http://www.discus-hans-usa.com/ . He is in Baltimore and is one of THE best to do business with. There are a few other sponsors you can find in the Sponsor section, however I think Hans is going to be the closest.

Welcome back to the Hobby!

Greg

DonMD
05-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Ha! I see Greg beat me to the punch pointing you in the direction of Discus Hans!

Tankster
05-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Ha! I see Greg beat me to the punch pointing you in the direction of Discus Hans!

Slow day at the office :) surfing Simply is my favorite guilty pleasure at the office.

DonMD
05-28-2014, 05:10 PM
LOL!

Slow day at the office :) surfing Simply is my favorite guilty pleasure at the office.

khoinguyen
06-01-2014, 12:49 AM
live in ashburn, virginia. i am keeping discus for 2 years.
I have 16 discus now in 90 gallon tank with wet/dry filter.

disc-va-757
08-29-2014, 08:50 PM
I have 4 wild brown 5" plus. (4 sale) to retank
757 362 8659 I can email or text photos and videos. 3 red eye 1 gold. They seem to be in 2 pairs and eating lots of live black worms

Via snookz21. <-- I think I spelled it correct

haile161
01-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone, im new diacus keeper and have l no experience about discus. I currently have 9 fish in my 60 gallons tank. I live in Burke virginia. Email me haile_161@yahoo.com if you wanna share your experiences with me. Thanks!:o

Tony13
10-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Hi,
I live in Oakton VA, just getting started hoping to be ready for fish soon.
Tony

mcknightdr
10-25-2015, 12:21 PM
I'm behind this timeline, but I'm about to enter the discus side of the hobby and I am a fellow Virginian. I live in south west VA. Small town called Richlands in Tazewell County. I've been in the hobby now for 4 years. I have a 125g and a 55g with various rainbows, coryadoris, blue Rams, and lots of plants. I am about to put my first order in for about 6 or 7 discus to put into the 55g until I have space in the larger tank. I'm going to order through Hans. I am having trouble settling in on a strain or a couple/few. Also having issues on what size to order. 3" or 4". My 55g is barebottom with some jungle Val in pots and is definitely ft over filtered with the large eheim 3e and an aquaclear 30 and 70 to keep some boomed is rolling, as well as a couple sponge filters. My issue for the younger discus is I can typically only do one large water change a week )about 75%) rather than 25% every other day. I am looking at the Tefe and possibly the santerem, brilliant turq, ecetera.

mcknightdr
10-25-2015, 12:23 PM
I'm behind this timeline, but I'm about to enter the discus side of the hobby and I am a fellow Virginian. I live in south west VA. Small town called Richlands in Tazewell County. I've been in the hobby now for 4 years. I have a 125g and a 55g with various rainbows, coryadoris, blue Rams, and lots of plants. I am about to put my first order in for about 6 or 7 discus to put into the 55g until I have space in the larger tank. I'm going to order through Hans. I am having trouble settling in on a strain or a couple/few. Also having issues on what size to order. 3" or 4". My 55g is barebottom with some jungle Val in pots and is definitely ft over filtered with the large eheim 3e and an aquaclear 30 and 70 to keep some boomed is rolling, as well as a couple sponge filters. My issue for the younger discus is I can typically only do one large water change a week )about 75%) rather than 25% every other day. I am looking at the Tefe and possibly the santerem, brilliant turq, ecetera.

mcknightdr@gmail.com

Tony13
12-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Help,
looking for a couple of water storage tanks, I am looking for tall skinny about 65 to 100 gallons each , is there a place locally NOVA that I can buy these? found what I want online but shipping is more than the tank.
Thanks,Tony

DonMD
12-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Help,
looking for a couple of water storage tanks, I am looking for tall skinny about 65 to 100 gallons each , is there a place locally NOVA that I can buy these? found what I want online but shipping is more than the tank.
Thanks,Tony

Check out some tractor supply stores in the area: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/water%20tank

DiscusScott
01-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Hello all. I live in Stafford, VA. Don't let the nickname fool you; I'm completely new to discus (lots of experience with other species...). I just needed something easy to remember. My tank (110g high) is cycling and I'll be looking for discus in a few weeks, I hope. I plan on driving up to Discus Hans unless someone else has a better idea. I'm looking for LED lighting as well. I'm really frustrated with that, because the tank is 30" deep and it's not like I can go to a store and see what each fixture looks like. Advice with that would be really appreciated. At any rate, I've learned a lot already on this forum; seems like a great community. I'm looking forward to posting pics when it's completely up and running--"fishing" for compliments.

Scott

DonMD
01-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Try buildmyled.com, I bought my fixtures there. You can choose between all kinds of looks and colors. Welcome to the forum.

DiscusScott
01-15-2016, 08:11 PM
Thanks. I just don't know enough about to know what to ask for. But I'll figure it our eventually. I give the LED site a try. Thanks again.