PDA

View Full Version : Canada - Ontario

2075turner
06-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Hello All,

I'll get this one started for those that live in Ontario.

My name is Evelyn, and I live in North Bay, Ont. I have been "into Discus" for about the last ten years, but took some time out to have my boys a couple of years ago, then decided to get back into it Nov/07. Anyways, I have somewhat gone overboard with the number of tanks (and fish) that I keep. I'm starting to feel like an ADDICT, but as I figure, there are worse things out there to be addicted to, so that little thought keeps me sane.:o

I have 8 - 20's, 4 - 29's, 6 - 35's, 4 - 40's, 6 - 55's, 8 - 75's, and a lonely 125. (This all started with the lonely 125, lol). I hope to start breeding some, as you might be able to tell,lol.:)

pinkjello
06-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Hi,
Are all these tanks filled with discus?? Do you have pics to show?? Would love to see if you do..
thx

2075turner
06-17-2008, 02:27 AM
I will have some up shortly(within the week) I am one of those photo challenged people:D So you will have to bear with me.

I have all discus, with exception of two of the tanks of which have some africans in them. My friend will be inheriting these once he gets a tank for his son. I keep 2 of the 20's for medicine tanks, and 3 of the 75's are being cycled for some future fishies:D

Moon
06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
My name is Joe and I'm from Burlington, Ontario, about 30 miles west of Toronto.
I have about 20 tanks now with various chiclids, catfish and discus. I've been a hobbiest for about 50 years now and keeping discus on and off since the 80's.
I've got some wilds and domestics. Most of my domestics came from Barb Newell and Bob Garside.
My current interest is to grow out some wild Heckels and breed them.

2075turner
06-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Joe,

I was wondering where you got your wilds from? I also have fish from Barb and Bob. Great people to deal with.:) It's too bad about Barb. I miss her daily emails asking about "her babies".:( I ended up with a few her breeders when she passed. I have a couple of batches from her melons, but I still haven't found the right mix of settings for the other pairs yet.

TTFN, Evelyn:)

pinkjello
06-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Cant wait to see them! thx!

Boomer
06-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I live in Mississauga, Ontario. This is my second time keeping Discus. Our first purchase was from Barb several years ago. We got out of FW for awhile and have recently just got back in (for Discus). My current group of Discus is from Bob.

The Discus tank is our only FW tank. We also have a 90g Reef, and my husband is currently cycling a nano tank that will be a fish only with live rock (FOWLR). Though we have three tanks right now, at one point we had a tank in almost every room available.

wizard
06-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Greetings all. I am Greg from Oshawa, Ontario. This is my first post as I just learned about this awesome site the other day.
I've been keeping Discus for about seven months now. I just love them. Currently I have 2 tanks, a 46 gallon bowfront and a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I have on order a 150 gallon as a replacement for the 46.
I have been reading posts all over the site and I must go see Bob Garside from Barrie. Could someone please give me his contact information. Thanks in advance.

2075turner
06-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Hi Wizard,

Welcome to Simply:) You can contact Bob through his website uppercanadadiscus. Great guy to deal with and he has some great quality discus!

Evelyn:)

Moon
06-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi Joe,

I was wondering where you got your wilds from? I also have fish from Barb and Bob. Great people to deal with.:) It's too bad about Barb. I miss her daily emails asking about "her babies".:( I ended up with a few her breeders when she passed. I have a couple of batches from her melons, but I still haven't found the right mix of settings for the other pairs yet.

TTFN, Evelyn:)

I got my Heckels from a guy in Ottawa about 18 months ago. He used to advertise in Pricenetwork. I understand he's no longer into discus. Oliver Lucanis at Belowwater also has some very nice wilds, but a bit on the pricey side.
I too miss Barb a lot. She lived about 10mins from my place. I picked up some of the fish and tanks at the garage sale the family had.
Joe

Moon
06-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Greetings all. I am Greg from Oshawa, Ontario. This is my first post as I just learned about this awesome site the other day.
I've been keeping Discus for about seven months now. I just love them. Currently I have 2 tanks, a 46 gallon bowfront and a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I have on order a 150 gallon as a replacement for the 46.
I have been reading posts all over the site and I must go see Bob Garside from Barrie. Could someone please give me his contact information. Thanks in advance.

Hi Wizard
welcome to Simply. This is a great place for discus lovers.
Anyone planning on going to Heiko's talk on July 26th? It's a good place to meet and get to know each other.
Joe

wizard
06-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I am planning on going to Heiko's talk on July 26th. Sounds like fun.

I have a question regarding the US flag under my name. How do I go about changing it to the Canadian flag? Thanks guys.

2075turner
06-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Hi Wizard,

You can change the info on you personal file by going to User CP located on the upper left corner and then to edit profile, then change the country. This should do it, I think:confused:. lol

Hi Moon,

How did you get a hold of Oliver? There's no contact link on the website and when I type in that email addy, it comes back that there's no such email address. Thanks, Evelyn

Moon
06-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Wizard,

You can change the info on you personal file by going to User CP located on the upper left corner and then to edit profile, then change the country. This should do it, I think:confused:. lol

Hi Moon,

How did you get a hold of Oliver? There's no contact link on the website and when I type in that email addy, it comes back that there's no such email address. Thanks, Evelyn

Hi Evelyn
I had that problem too when I tried to contact him recently. I know someone who's got his contact info. I'll try to get it for you. My wilds came from a guy called Loyed. He belongs to the Ottawa Aquarium Club. You might try that contact.
Joe

wizard
06-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Many thanks once again. As you can see it worked!

Moon
06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey welcome to Canada.

April
06-19-2008, 01:03 PM
you ontarians are rivalling our bc post. : )
i belong to the ottawa forum..and the kitchener forum. does that count? : )

2075turner
06-19-2008, 04:11 PM
sure does april!

welcome to the ontario thread!

Evelyn

April
06-23-2008, 12:36 AM
oh the greater toronto forum also. lol. check out our bcaquaria forum. even kenny is a member. and francis and many more. : ) lots of discus talk going on over there.

Northwestcoastdisc
08-01-2008, 03:07 PM
hello Ontarians,

I hope one of them who will have successful offspring the barb's ocean green. I would love to buy a dozen of them.

Keep try to breed them i know you can DO IT.

cheers
Duncan.

2075turner
10-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Well after being out of commission for a while, I'm ready to come back to the forum. How are things going fellow Ontarians?? And April (lol) Moon, I was wondering if you came accross that contact info for Oliver? Or anyone have the contact info for Oliver? That would be great, Thanks, Evelyn:)

MRQuad
10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
i am Marvin and i'm from London Ontario.. originally from Philippines and migrated here for more than 3 years now..

i've been into this hobby on and off back home, for more than 10 years.. with different kind of fish.. and this is my first time to be in a Discus world.. hopefully, become successful with this guys..

by the way, where can we get a good selection of Discus fry here in Ontario, that ships all over canada? as of now, my tank is getting ready for my Discus..

thanks..

2075turner
10-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi Marvin,

I would get a hold of Bob from Upper Canada Discus. He's a great guy to deal with that lives outside of Barrie, On. He sells great quality stock. He is one of the sponsors here on Simply. I would highly recommend him.

Good luck with Discus, they are well worth the effort if you take care of them right. Absolutely Beautiful!

Evelyn:)

Drewgahtz
12-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi,

My name is Andrew and I live in Binbrook (just outside Hamilton/Stoney Creek). I'm currently raising six discus fry that I got from Moon (Joe).

Moon
12-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Well after being out of commission for a while, I'm ready to come back to the forum. How are things going fellow Ontarians?? And April (lol) Moon, I was wondering if you came accross that contact info for Oliver? Or anyone have the contact info for Oliver? That would be great, Thanks, Evelyn:)

Evelyn
Oliver is a member here now. You can PM him.

Moon
12-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi,

My name is Andrew and I live in Binbrook (just outside Hamilton/Stoney Creek). I'm currently raising six discus fry that I got from Moon (Joe).

Welcome to SD Andrew. You will get lots of good advice here.

architect1
12-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm Branden the trouble maker lol. I have proven and broken some of the rules with having discus. lol. I'm from sherkston 20 mins from Niagara falls lake Erie side, but living in brampton for college. have had discus for 4 years now.

Moon
12-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Branden
You are an old timer here no need to welcome you.lol
Thinking of forming a discus study group in the Toronto area. Let me know if interested.
You too Evelyn.
PM me if interested.
Joe

April
12-08-2008, 01:14 AM
www.belowwater.com . try that and contact us. for oliver.

architect1
12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
i guess your right moon lol I have more then enough posts to show that i'm not a newbie lol. maybe still nieave and brake some rules.

Moon
12-08-2008, 04:40 PM
www.belowwater.com . try that and contact us. for oliver.
The contact info on the website used to work. Not anymore. Best to PM Oliver directly.

2075turner
02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi Branden
You are an old timer here no need to welcome you.lol
Thinking of forming a discus study group in the Toronto area. Let me know if interested.
You too Evelyn.
PM me if interested.
Joe

Hey Joe,

Would love too but......I live in Ottawa, lol. Anytime you are in the area give me a shout, love to get together and talk about Discus.

TC, Evelyn

2075turner
02-05-2009, 06:57 PM
The contact info on the website used to work. Not anymore. Best to PM Oliver directly.

Thanks April and Joe,

I finally got a hold of him and am on his mailing list.

TC
Evelyn

Moon
02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey Joe,

Would love too but......I live in Ottawa, lol. Anytime you are in the area give me a shout, love to get together and talk about Discus.

TC, Evelyn

Evelyn
We are hoping to have our first meet sometime late Feb. or early March. The venue is Hamilton. Most likely on a Sunday. You could make a weekend road trip to Hamilton.
Joe

Stellar
03-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi all... I am located in Windsor Ontario.... Do not currently have any Discus... YET.

This will change... I am sure of it

Lukan
03-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Hi,

My name is Marte. Started keeping discus again after 15 year hiatus. I've been keeping Reeftank the past 15 years. I came across a post about SriAngel visiting a guy name Bob from Upper Canada Discus. I guess the rest is History...................

Moon
03-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi all... I am located in Windsor Ontario.... Do not currently have any Discus... YET.

This will change... I am sure of it

Welcome to SD.
When you are ready get in touch with some of the sponsors here for your stock.
There are a few breeders in Ontario I can recommend.

Moon
03-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi,

My name is Marte. Started keeping discus again after 15 year hiatus. I've been keeping Reeftank the past 15 years. I came across a post about SriAngel visiting a guy name Bob from Upper Canada Discus. I guess the rest is History...................

Hi Marte
Welcome to SD. I've come across your posts at PN and the GTA forum. What kind of discus do you have?
Joe

amolak
03-07-2010, 08:21 PM
hey guys i am from stoney creek ont got in to this hobby bout 2 yrs i am currently keeeping 2 classic leopard,2 eruption leopards and 1 highbody turq still lots of learning to do...with joining this forum i can learn a lot from all of you.

Altum Nut
05-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Hello All,

My name is Ralph....
I currently live in Toronto and have been in the hobby for about 12 years.
I currently have two groups of altum angel and various groups of Discus.
I am also into various types of plecos as well.
I have just joined simply and look forward to sharing my experiences with you all.
Ya Joe it's me.

Regards,
...Ralph

brian94
05-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi
Wecome to simply discus.
I live just north of Barrie and have been trying to get Altums for a long time.
Were did you get yours and do you know how I can get some.
Thanks Brian

Moon
05-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Hello All,

My name is Ralph....
I currently live in Toronto and have been in the hobby for about 12 years.
I currently have two groups of altum angel and various groups of Discus.
I am also into various types of plecos as well.
I have just joined simply and look forward to sharing my experiences with you all.
Ya Joe it's me.

Regards,
...Ralph

Hey Ralph
Welcome to SD. Hope you will post often about your experiences with Altums and Discus.
This is one of the best forums for discus.
Joe

Moon
05-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi
Wecome to simply discus.
I live just north of Barrie and have been trying to get Altums for a long time.
Were did you get yours and do you know how I can get some.
Thanks Brian

Brian
Welcome to SD. I got my Altums from Oliver at Belowater.com

Altum Nut
05-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi Brian,

Along with moon...I also got them from Oliver at www.belowwater.com.
The best of luck.

...Ralph

Altum Nut
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks Joe for the greetings.
Hello Brian,

I too along with moon also got my two groups from Oliver.
Most would agree they are truely remarkable from young right until the adult stage. However, no signs of breeding.
If I could ever take a single shot of them I will post a few.

...Ralph

April
05-26-2010, 07:25 PM
welcome all you ontarians..ok ive never even been to ontario..but..i recognize some of my customers from there. : )
i may end up flying to toronto this sumnmer for overnight..to go to an art show. crossing my fingers..my other half is chosen..so i can go for another overnight trip. see something different.

h2osanity
09-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Jayne from Ontario. Near Guelph, liquid rock country. 45, had tanks since teens.

I am working my way up to discus from everything else. Currently 10 F3 Peruvian angels which are spawning up a storm...Electric Blue x Gold rams doing the same. 5+ tanks, working my way into a very small fishroom (just moved into a new house). 3 kids, 2 at home, youngest (13) has tanks as well with koi angels and rams, university kid getting into it with a 10g dresser tank.
Member of kwas.ca and mod at same forum. Hi Joe!

Moon
09-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi
It's good to see you here. Let me know when you get into discus. I'll try to help you along.
Joe

h2osanity
09-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks Joe. When I have raised up a tank full of these F3's I figure I'll be ready...You'll know when. :D

waj8
11-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Hi, I am Wayne from Windsor Ontario. My main interest is planted tanks and DIYing my own equipment. I have been doing that for about 15 years. Just one tank though. I have had Discus for about 2 years now, so I am still a newbie in that area. If anyone from Windsor wants plants I always have lots to spare.

2075turner
11-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the Ontario group:) I would take some of those extra plants off you hands if you want to slip them in the mail to me. I would pay for shipping of course;) I have a hard time growing plants. Just got me some books to read up on how to take care of them, so I am hoping this will help me.:)

If you are in the Ottawa area, drop on by.:)

2075turner
03-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Well, not sure if this is the place to post but I'll give it a whirl....

I will be having a discus meeting at my place this Saturday March 19th starting at 2pm. So for my fellow discus nuts that are in Ontario or Quebec or any of my American friends that are up to a drive you would be more than welcome to come for a visit. Just pm me for the contact information and address.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario

with about 30 tanks to view....all full of discus:)

Moon
04-20-2011, 01:50 PM
How did your discus meet go Evelyn? I am hoping to have one in the summer.

Moon
05-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Interest in having a Southern Ontario Discus Meeting?
Those NE meetings sound so good. It's a 11 hour drive. Too long for me.
So how about us Ontarians arrange a meeting this summer.

Lukan
05-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Interest in having a Southern Ontario Discus Meeting?
Those NE meetings sound so good. It's a 11 hour drive. Too long for me.
So how about us Ontarians arrange a meeting this summer.

Hi Joe,

I would love to attend. Set up the date and let me know what i should bring.

Moon
05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Marte
Let's see how much interest there is. Most likely in July when we finally have some warm weather.
I'll let you know what to bring. Hey how about that Super erruption (lol)

Lukan
05-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Marte

Hey how about that Super erruption (lol)

Moon,

When i was typing my earlier response I felt that you were going to say that.....ha ha ha....Hey do you have any female candidate....

Moon
05-18-2011, 04:08 PM
YES. I just happen to have a Penang E female.

Lukan
05-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Moon, Let me find out first if one of them is at least fertile......I have 2 males that are Hot to Trot......

Ciddian
08-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Hi All, I just wanted to say a quick hello :)

I am from Toronto ontario myself and I am -just- getting into Discus. I am afraid to say I have always been very interested in them but petrified to keep them. I am so delighted with the ones I have atm I wish I had been braver to start sooner! I used to look at barbs stock off and on.. Still so sad she is gone.

I was lucky enough to get some from a friend for my birthday. My knowledge is very very basic but I am hoping to improve very quickly to keep my fish in the best shape possible.
I would share a link and photos but I am too new on the forum as of yet :/

Thanks and hope to learn much from you all :D

-Jess

Altum Nut
08-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Hey Jess,

Welcome to SD. I know you as being very active on GTA Forum.
Discus could be very challenging....but depends on how far you plan to take it.
We are all here to help one another when in need.
WARNING....Discus keeping is very addictive.

...Ralph

Ciddian
08-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks Ralph! Yea I am usually on Gta or ultimatebettas but I am hoping to settle here too :3 I don't usually stay on too many forums, I wish I had the time however. O_O

I've already been looking at bobs site and I feel a bit overwhelmed but in a good way! lol. I am in this for the long run I hope... If discus lifespans are anything like angels I know I have to be. hehe.

Lukan
08-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I've already been looking at bobs site and I feel a bit overwhelmed but in a good way! lol. I am in this for the long run I hope... If discus lifespans are anything like angels I know I have to be. hehe.

Hi Jess,

Welcome to SD my fellow Torontonian.

Bad idea to look at Bob's site. Once you see those Discus in person they even look better. We are very lucky to have Bob at a driving distance. Once you visit and see those discus at his place no turning back at all.

Sponsors here at SD have been good to me as well.

Moon
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Jess
Welcome to SD. I know you from the GTA forum. Although haven't been there for a while.
This is the best place for discus. As my buddy Ralph mentioned discus is very addictive.
You might try Vern Archer (Archersdiscus). He is a local breeder and has good quality discus.
Do we have enough discus nuts to form a local GTA discus group!!!!!!!

Dieselfool
08-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi Jess,

Welcome to SD my fellow Torontonian.

Bad idea to look at Bob's site. Once you see those Discus in person they even look better. We are very lucky to have Bob at a driving distance. Once you visit and see those discus at his place no turning back at all.

Sponsors here at SD have been good to me as well.

+1. lol. Had the pleasure of getting the grand tour from Bob a couple of months ago. Amazing set-up he has, and it's only 10 min. away from me.

2075turner
08-03-2011, 09:00 PM
How did your discus meet go Evelyn? I am hoping to have one in the summer.

Sorry for the late reply Joe, I must have missed this post. Anyhoo, the get together was great. I had over 40 people in attendance. Bodies everywhere and the great thing was we had people that were just thinking about getting into discus, people that had just started and people that had some experience under their belts all sharing information. I had quite a few people email me to thank me for the positive experience they had and would like to come to another one.

2075turner
08-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi Jess,

Welcome to SD. Dive in and learn as much as you can and want to. It`s a great community of people here to learn from.

Cheers,

2075turner
08-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi Jess,

Welcome to SD. Dive in and learn as much as you can and want to. It`s a great community of people here to learn from.

Cheers,

Ciddian
08-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks very much for the warm welcome :D

Thank you moon, i'll have to check that breeder out.

Moon
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
I forgot to mention that Evelyn is a sponsor here. You might check her out. She has some nice blue diamonds.

Ciddian
08-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Thank you for mentioning her, she has a fantastic website :)

Altum Nut
08-04-2011, 10:57 PM
You got that right Jess.
Evelyn would have had less Discus but could not make it by her place on my way back from Montreal this past weekend.
All I heard from my back seat driver kids is "Are we home yet Dad".
Sorry Evelyn...the extra hour off course would have killed my nerves.
Hopefully next trip.

...Ralph

2075turner
08-05-2011, 10:43 PM
You got that right Jess.
Evelyn would have had less Discus but could not make it by her place on my way back from Montreal this past weekend.
All I heard from my back seat driver kids is "Are we home yet Dad".
Sorry Evelyn...the extra hour off course would have killed my nerves.
Hopefully next trip.

...Ralph

LOL Ralph,

I know this feeling. I have 2 four year old boys that at the best of times are patient for 1 hour total in a car....lol.

Perhaps you Torontians can make my next discus meeting in September/October. Plans are in the works to get the NEDA group up for a visit of which will include our fearless leader for Simply Discus....Al. Hope it pans out.

Anyhoo, hope to meet you guys in person some day.

Cheers,

sirmanndog
09-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Hello....I'm in Hamilton.

I haven't been on the board for quite some time.I joined the board to educate myself about discus and still haven't set up my tank.

Thanks for maintaining such a great forum.When I set up I hope people from my area will be willing to help me purchase stock.Truthfully,I am feeling that my fish keeping skills might be sub par for discus.I am still working up my nerve.

I have a hundred gal tank.I would like to do bare bottom and work into a planted tank.I am not feeling confident about growing out small fish.This might be the wrong place thread for advise,but I am interested in making the acquaintance of locals.If there are some group meets planned,I would be interested in attending.

Thanks everyone.Cheers.

Moon
09-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Hello....I'm in Hamilton.

I haven't been on the board for quite some time.I joined the board to educate myself about discus and still haven't set up my tank.

Thanks for maintaining such a great forum.When I set up I hope people from my area will be willing to help me purchase stock.Truthfully,I am feeling that my fish keeping skills might be sub par for discus.I am still working up my nerve.

I have a hundred gal tank.I would like to do bare bottom and work into a planted tank.I am not feeling confident about growing out small fish.This might be the wrong place thread for advise,but I am interested in making the acquaintance of locals.If there are some group meets planned,I would be interested in attending.

Thanks everyone.Cheers.

Welcome to SD. I am in Burlington. PM me if you need help.
A group meet is being planned by Evelyn in Ottawa. You might be interested in going. The date is Oct 22.

2075turner
09-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Yes, welcome to our Ontario group. As Joe mentioned I am having a meeting in Ottawa, you would be more than welcome to attend. Here is the link for the general invite....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?90739-October-22-Ottawa-Ontario&p=799856#post799856

Cheers, Evelyn

Poco
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi All, is there any active Ontario/GTA group?

Thanks.

Moon
06-25-2012, 09:22 PM
I tried to organize one a few years back. Exactly 3 turned up. I don't think there is enough interest here. Evelyn had a meet last year in Ottawa. It was well attended.

Ciddian
06-25-2012, 10:16 PM
we have some very informal fun meetings from time to time one the Gta aquaria site. There is a big shrimp planted tank group starting up and a well established saltwater group of people if you are ever interested.

1oscar
10-12-2012, 09:49 PM
my name is chester i'm from woodbridge 20min north of toronto
i have a 135g tank i will be setting up for discus.i have been keeping cichlids for the past 12 years.its time i took the discus plunge lol

Poco
10-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Welcome to SD!

There are lots of good info here, I will recommend to read the stickies.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners

Altum Nut
10-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Wecome to SD chester.
The Discus addiction has begun....enjoy the ride my friend.

...Ralph

dragon1974
02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Better late than never..
My name is Dexter, originally from Trinidad and Tobago, went to school in the States and now living in Stouffville/Snowville Ontario.
Been into fish for the better part of my life, but I’ve gotten the Discus bite lately and I also suffer from MTS (multiple tank syndrome).

I’m hoping to start a small breading setup to fund my fish room project. I have 7 Discus to this point, had a lot more but I learned an invaluable lesson always clean your tanks on time LOL.

Anyway, hit me a pm if you have stock to trade or want to STS about discus

vandiscus
09-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Vansu from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

Udeservit
01-17-2014, 03:18 PM
I am 5 days new to the discus keeping world. I have a 75 Gal planted tank and I have my fingers crossed my 3 new babes survive my environment. Im from Sault Ste Marie.

ct3737
01-20-2014, 09:50 AM
I am 5 days new to the discus keeping world. I have a 75 Gal planted tank and I have my fingers crossed my 3 new babes survive my environment. Im from Sault Ste Marie.

Congrats and welcome! Be sure to be pouring over the beginners forums. Lots of good information there. Always have the mindset they will survive. If you give them what they need they will thrive.

Since your new do not get into changing your PH. I used to think I had to but they will get used to yours. Give them lots of clean water and they'll love you! If they are small the more changes the Better!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Udeservit
01-20-2014, 03:03 PM
Congrats and welcome! Be sure to be pouring over the beginners forums. Lots of good information there. Always have the mindset they will survive. If you give them what they need they will thrive.

Since your new do not get into changing your PH. I used to think I had to but they will get used to yours. Give them lots of clean water and they'll love you! If they are small the more changes the Better!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Thank you for the welcome. This is really a great site with some great advice. So far so good!!

pinoy2
11-17-2014, 09:31 AM
hi ONTARIAN just new here from TORONTO....

monching
12-19-2014, 12:20 PM
from Etobicoke:)

eat078
12-19-2014, 11:32 PM
I am from Waterloo. One year with discus. I have not posted many here but read a lot. Definitely a good place for discus lovers.

Eddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildJon
05-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Hey Everyone , I'm Jon. I'm From Toronto. I've had the pleasure of meeting a few of the members here and what a great group that we have !

Moon
05-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Just got back to Toronto after being away for 4 months (I'm a snow bird). What happened to the Canadian discus forum? When I tried to log on it is directed back to SD.
Ralph, Poco do you guys know what happened?

dragon1974
05-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Hey Moon,

Think it died. Not too much traffic at all.

Altum Nut
05-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Just got back to Toronto after being away for 4 months (I'm a snow bird). What happened to the Canadian discus forum? When I tried to log on it is directed back to SD.
Ralph, Poco do you guys know what happened?

Welcome back Joe.
CDA and Darcy are taking a break for now. I know Darcy had some medical issues but not major and just wanted to close shop until he is at full strength.
As for Babar...have not heard from him for some time.

Cheers,
...Ralph

vandiscus
09-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Hope CDA will be back soon. Get well soon Darcy.

jawfish
09-23-2015, 08:20 AM
I thought CDA was a great idea. The truth is only a handfull were really animating that forum. It will not come back unless canadian discus fanatics make it happen.

Cheers
Fred

pete123
09-24-2015, 09:01 AM
I am now living in GTA. Been a member of SD for a while. Just set up a tank....partial planted. 3/4 bare. RO water + tap (50:50). Been cycling for a week now. So now I am ready to get some 5" discus. So where can I buy them in GTA?

Altum Nut
09-24-2015, 10:44 AM
I am now living in GTA. Been a member of SD for a while. Just set up a tank....partial planted. 3/4 bare. RO water + tap (50:50). Been cycling for a week now. So now I am ready to get some 5" discus. So where can I buy them in GTA?

Good to have you back Pete. My only recommendation is to stay clear from any LFS.
Besides some local breeder / hobbyist that maybe floating around the GTA...you may want to look into Rick Grange http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120800-Fall-2015-Forrest-Discus-Canada-Shipment-Preview-Photo-Heavy!!!

...Ralph

pete123
09-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Why stay clear of LFS?
Heard of Lucky Aqua at Pacific Mall? Any good.

dragon1974
09-24-2015, 11:54 PM
No...I would stay clear of that place. But that's just me. You have Vern and Bob and you can order from King fish imports.

Altum Nut
09-25-2015, 12:04 AM
The only advice I can offer to back-up my statement is you will not get a clear answer from LFS as to what source they are from. Just like puppy-mills, they are only in business to make a quick turn-around and in most cases are on a central system which transfer illnesses from other tanks.
Buying directly from a breeder or breeder distributer will ensure you get healthy and quality but also come at a slightly higher price tag.
And YES I have gone to Pacific Mall, Big Al's...etc just to look but will never buy.

...Ralph

dragon1974
09-25-2015, 08:16 AM
To back up Altum, I've gotten discus from both locations in the past and yes they were nice and everything, but I was dealing with sick fish more often than not.

Take my stupid advice and buy from breeders and hobby breeders and you can verify the source. All I have to say is, it's night and day when it comes to LFS and true breeders. Look at my thread(s) and you'll see the difference, I have 3 batches going and (knock on wood) I've not had a single issue with them since I got them starting in Feb. All I do is change water, feed and watch them grow.

I doubt that I'll ever go to a LFS for any discus again knowing that I can pop by Vern or some other members here and get great looking fish that are not sick or have some issue.

Anyway my 2 cents

pete123
09-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all your helpful advice.

I use to source my discus directly from the discus farms when I was working in Asia. They do discus only so they don't mix the water from other tanks.

So I think I will source from Vern, Bob, King fish imports, hobbyists. How do I get in touch with them?

dragon1974
09-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Vern Archer and Bob ( upper canada discus) you can Google search them and you'll find the websites. King fish is on facebook.

vandiscus
10-29-2015, 04:38 PM
My first discus were from local breeders