PDA

View Full Version : A PAINTED TANK

wizard
06-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi all, I'm setting up a new 150 and was thinking of painting the back of the tank and would like to know what type of paint others have used. What kind of success etc. I have never done this before. Also, is there a general consensus to using pool filter sand as a substrate. One last thing, I found a supplier of driftwood on E-Bay and was wondering if any of you have dealt or heard anything about them. APetHouse Malaysian Driftwood They have some good looking pieces. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Greg

FatFutures
06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I just painted the backs of several tanks with Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint and that stuff ROCKS! LOL

Previously, I've used various types of paint on my tanks. Problem is the stuff doesnt' adhere to the glass very well. The Krylon does... once its dry that stuff is pretty tough.

I can tell you, nothing worse than spend quite a bit of time painting a tank (numerous coats to get decent coverage) and then putting a big gouge in the paint when you move it. Or, when you put in your filter lines etc...

Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint... great coverage and it sticks!

wizard
06-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Will look for it tomorrow. Did you go with a blue tone? Will a blue be the best choice or is color a personal preference?

FatFutures
06-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Really depends on what you want and where you are going with the tank. I like back for my semi-planted tanks. Really makes all the plants pop. For bb tanks, I used the Krylon Ocean Breeze Blue...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/2556350640_493cef993c.jpg

texasdiscusman
06-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Instead of painting get some blue insulation and wrap it save on heating bills.That way you will never have scapre the tank.But Fatfutures you tank does look awesome painted.Look at KC Discus thread he shows how to do it.

gotfish?
06-23-2008, 03:11 AM
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82537&highlight=texturized+paint

i did the same, im just a crappy photographer so i il just send you a link:D they sell it at home depot for like 8 bucks a can. good luck

benedict

Harriett
06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Fat Futures,
The blue background looks great in your bb. I would caution not to paint black backgrounds for planted tanks intended to house discus--been there, done that, as have several others here. A dark background, particularly black, has a big effect on the coloration of the discus. Blue discus and turqs get quite dark, and pigeons pepper up dramatically. I agree that a black background totally makes plant colors pop--just not helpful for discus.
Best regards
Harriett

phidelt85
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Fat Futures,
The blue background looks great in your bb. I would caution not to paint black backgrounds for planted tanks intended to house discus--been there, done that, as have several others here. A dark background, particularly black, has a big effect on the coloration of the discus. Blue discus and turqs get quite dark, and pigeons pepper up dramatically. I agree that a black background totally makes plant colors pop--just not helpful for discus.
Best regards
Harriett

I can totally attest to that. Particularly moreso with my pigeons, they looked bad in front of a black background with all the peppering. When I changed the background to a lighter color, the peppering pretty much disappeared!!

FatFutures
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh, I agree on the peppering... I should have said that I like black in my non-discus planted tank. I've got a 55 semi-planted, black background, stacked, black flagstone that's stocked with asst rainbows and a few other fish. Looks very striking.

It is kinda funny... the black background works very well for some fish but, really isnt' the best for Discus. Too bad I didn't know that BEFORE I painted and stocked my community Discus tank, eh? LOL

wizard
06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
WOW, you guys are great. Thanks so much for all the ideas. I really love your tank FatFutures, with the krylon ocean breeze. I'm thinking that color with the white pool filter sand and some plants as the tank will be in the living room. ALso like the textured paint, painted tank. I might try it on a smaller tank. Now to find just the right piece of driftwood.
Greg

metfan581
07-16-2008, 01:18 PM
WOW, you guys are great. Thanks so much for all the ideas. I really love your tank FatFutures, with the krylon ocean breeze. I'm thinking that color with the white pool filter sand and some plants as the tank will be in the living room. ALso like the textured paint, painted tank. I might try it on a smaller tank. Now to find just the right piece of driftwood.
Greg

make sure to post pics!!!!

Titan
07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Any one have a thought or experience with glueing stone to the inside back? I just purchased egg rock, light colocred going to try and silicone to the back (inside) just wondering about the extra weight?

steve.ryall
07-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey Fat, what a splendid pair you have there. I like them very much.

steve

Apistomaster
07-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Any one have a thought or experience with glueing stone to the inside back? I just purchased egg rock, light colocred going to try and silicone to the back (inside) just wondering about the extra weight?The lightest weight rocks are solidified volcanic glass froth, like Pumice. Pumice is often found in rounded form.
Some of best uses of rock I have seen used invlived sawing the rocks and bonding them to a glass sheet. These are still removable as they are not glued directly to the back glass panel. The material you are proposing sounds light fluorescent lighr diffuseing "egg Crate" but that is difficult to bond things too. Silicone doesn't bond well to the plastic and the actual surface area of the bond is insufficient.

I am a satisfied user of Krylon spray paints as backgrounds. Colors are a matter of personal preference, I use slate Blue. Here is some in use with wild Blue Discus.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/BlueWS035.jpg