PDA

View Full Version : duhhh, need a stand for a 22 cube

playaslk
06-24-2008, 03:12 PM
So I stupidly purchased a cube acrylic tank thats around 22x22x23 (ok not exactly a cube but close. Problem is it came w/ no stand. While craking myself over the head w/ a stick, i've been trying to come up w/ a way to use/make a stand.

My options are:

1. Custom built stand -- not sure what that would cost, or where to get it done.

2. TV stand adapted to be an aquarium stand

3. Nightstand/endtable - same as tv stand.

Here are some problems:

1. TV stand / night stands are usually pretty flimsy for a tank
2. Most of them arent deep enough so lets say 2-3 inches of the back of the tank would be suspended in the air (unless i can get a board cut to size to put on top of the stand (so the board is hanging off as well somewhat supporting the tank)
3. I cant just build a 2x4 type stand because it doesnt fit the decor of the room/house and my parents are going to throw me out together w/ the tank if the thing looks horribe. (i was going to put the tank on some construction brick stand :-)

Thanks for the help! feel free to either reply or pm ideas

alan j t
06-24-2008, 04:30 PM
i personally would either of the stands you have at home
i've done it with no problems i've used and endtable, dresser and tv stand
and it was holding a 20 gal tank

subcooler
06-24-2008, 05:11 PM
I would be very cautious about using furniture as a stand!
The tanks water wieght alone is over 176 pounds.
You probably will be alright with a small tank like a 22g.-but still risky idea!
If an ugly stand could get you tossed out-Imagine what would happen if tank & stand ever crashed to the ground:mad:
Maybe block with a nice table cloth covering would be cheap, strong & visually appealing to everyone?
Best of luck with your fish!
Rob