PDA

View Full Version : Finally - A New Home...

jeep
06-26-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm probably going to take some heat for this, but I finally moved these guys into a larger tank. It was un-used and VERY heavily over-grown with algae, to the point you couldn't hardly even see the fish. I wanted to do an experiment and see how long it would take a single ABN to clear things out. I wish I had taken a "before" photo. It's truly amazing how fast this little guy is cleaning this tank...

I assure you all, the water quality is just fine!

Anyway, the discus are still eating as much as they possibly can and practacly come out of the tank at feeding time trying to eat what's in my hand :D

There seems to be one larger dominant fish at around 5.5" and one distinctly smaller one at around 4 1/4". The rest are obviously somewhere in between :p.

jeep
06-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Here's my little helper. He seems very happy to be of fthe algae discs and into some real vegitation :D

oodi
06-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Brian... they look great! And it looks like the ABN is earning his keep!

Judi
:)

Darren's Discus
06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Brian,
Mate they look real good,as for the algae it only grows when conditions are good,sometimes we think a tank is not clean if there is algae on the glass,some of the best discus breeders i have seen you can't hardly even see the fish through the algae, I'm a big fan of Abn's.

cheers

alxjss
06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
nice job Brian. Its good th no u have a healthy tank. Good luck!!!

GrillMaster
06-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Well done Brian!! :thumbsup:

Looks like "Jeeps Secret Beefheart Super Growth Formula" really payed off! :D :D :D

jeep
06-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, crappy photo's and all, they really are doing quite nice. Maybe I'll take one out and measure it. I just always had issues with that. Kind of like sticking a weight on one of us and see how long we last underwater :alien:

One of the last times I posted pics, there was a 1 sq mm post of algae on a lift tube and I caught hell for my bad maintenance skills, lol!!!

I think we should all call it a draw and buy Brew a brew :D

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Brian,

Fab looking Discus mate they are comeing aroung nicely

Wish you the best with them

Algae is good in various situations especially in the fry stage. In home display aquariums it should be kept under control for obvious reasons.

Regards Armandi ;)

GrillMaster
06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I think we should all call it a draw and buy Brew a brew

I dunno bud...Ya got some pretty stiff competition at the moment. ;) :D :D :D

namasgt
06-30-2008, 07:02 PM
great looking discus. how big is their new home?
was the previous one a 29 gallon.

jeep
06-30-2008, 09:17 PM
The old tank was a 40g. This one is a 55. Not much larger but they needed all the space they could get...

April
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM
those are beautiful fish. all of them. you did great. algae doesnt hurt them. all good stuff.
heh jeep..it just dawned on me..the name jeep..after i saw your jeep pic. lol. i have a jeep. know the jeep jeep guy from popeye?

jeep
06-30-2008, 11:24 PM
lol... ya, Popeye's jeep was a good whatever he was.. Simply was the first forum I ever joined. All the user names I could think of were taken and I eventually just typed in my jeep and it worked. Been there ever since :p

I really do like these fish. All are healthy and very nicely shaped. I hope I can bring out the albino gene in some sort of a cross some day...

fishmama
07-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Hi Brian-

Nice job! I just put in 12 abn fry in a 29 gallon algae overgrown tank to see "what would happen" and wouldn't you know...within 48 hrs I'm having to supplement1 :p

You should come to a fish club meeting!!! Those look great!

jeep
07-02-2008, 09:04 AM
You should come to a fish club meeting!!!

This is true!!!:D One day for sure. I've made it to a couple of auctions though ;)

I'd like to see your fishroom some day as well :)

pcsb23
07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm probably going to take some heat for this, .
wellll if you insist ;)

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/787_flame_thrower_gun.gif (http://www.clipartof.com)

looking good Brian :D

jeep
07-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks buddybud... :)

Tad
07-05-2008, 05:47 PM
VERY heavily over-grown with algae, to the point you couldn't hardly even see the fish.
I assure you all, the water quality is just fine!

Key point "water quality" and stability ;)

You have done an excellent job my friend,

Tad :)