View Full Version : snails eating the Aponogetons Ulvaceus

BSW
06-27-2008, 09:46 AM
They are eating this stuff like candy !
What to do ?
BSW

Autumn Wind
06-27-2008, 01:03 PM
If you have an over population of snails it may be that there is not enough algae for them so then they attack the plants.
If that is the case the the way I thin down the herd is I thread a piece of cucumber with a needle and thread leaving a long string then before the lights go out at night I toss the cucumber piece leaving the string out and then in the morning the cucumber piece is covered with snails and you simply pull the snail covered cucumber piece out with the thread and toss 'em out.
Easy and no harm to fish or plants.
Hope that helps,
vanessa

Ed13
06-27-2008, 01:12 PM
I agree with Vanessa, bait them and takem out. Anything works, I've even used whole mangos on ponds:p. Loaches will predate on the adults and beleive or not fish like corydoras and BN plecos will help you out as the cory may predate on the young ones and the BN will find the eggs, not to mention they'll eat the excess food and algae the snails eat. I preffer to take them out manually as I'm a bit paranoid of adding new fish.

BSW
06-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Nope no algae -
I'm on my way to get cucumbers !!!!
I give that a try, I have Clown Loaches, Corrys, & Skunk Loaches, all of which prefer Brine Shrimp now. I think they help some, but, they've all gotten lazy !
Thanks -
BSW