PDA

View Full Version : Filter sponge or dry-wet for multiple tanks to grow???

riu
07-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I see that you use filters sponge in aquariums to grow discus.

To you be better filters sponge or dry-wet filters?

Greetings

Tropical Haven
07-06-2008, 04:50 PM
This is personal preference because both methods are very good filtration.

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I prefer wet/dry filters to sponge filters. Sponge filters, while cheap and easy to use, they have a few critical drawbacks IMO. First and foremost is that they are air driven. Just because you see air going up the tube doesnt mean water is going with it. You will hear the air bubbling in the tank and you think all is well, but the sponge itself could be clogged, meaning no flow through the filter. The second drawback is that the media (sponge) is easily clogged. As water is drawn through the sponge, debris collects on the outer edges (outer half lets say) of the sponge. As the filter ages and collects (filters out) more debris, less and less water is able to flow through it which can and will lead to anaerobic conditions. Unless the filter is cleaned ATLEAST once a week, I dont recommend them for any tank other than a breeding tank as they are generally kept very clean.

With a wet/dry system, you can hear the water moving over the media and you know it is working, unlike a sponge filter. The mechanical and biological filtration aspects in a wet/dry are totally separate processes which means you can clean/replace the filter pad as frequently as needed. This helps keep the biological media in an aerobic state, and working properly. Granted, even the common wet/dry system isnt perfect, it is far better IMO than the standard sponge filter.

-Ryan

number1sixerfan
07-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I prefer wet/dry filters to sponge filters. Sponge filters, while cheap and easy to use, they have a few critical drawbacks IMO. First and foremost is that they are air driven. Just because you see air going up the tube doesnt mean water is going with it. You will hear the air bubbling in the tank and you think all is well, but the sponge itself could be clogged, meaning no flow through the filter. The second drawback is that the media (sponge) is easily clogged. As water is drawn through the sponge, debris collects on the outer edges (outer half lets say) of the sponge. As the filter ages and collects (filters out) more debris, less and less water is able to flow through it which can and will lead to anaerobic conditions. Unless the filter is cleaned ATLEAST once a week, I dont recommend them for any tank other than a breeding tank as they are generally kept very clean.

With a wet/dry system, you can hear the water moving over the media and you know it is working, unlike a sponge filter. The mechanical and biological filtration aspects in a wet/dry are totally separate processes which means you can clean/replace the filter pad as frequently as needed. This helps keep the biological media in an aerobic state, and working properly. Granted, even the common wet/dry system isnt perfect, it is far better IMO than the standard sponge filter.

-Ryan

Interesting info. Can anyone else comment on this? I have just started using sponge filters, as I have always like canister filters for their versatility. I am thinking of adding two sponges because I have a lot of fish in my tank.

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Sponge filters work fine for most hobbyists that only stock at light to moderate levels. Keeping them clean is the key. Just dont grossly overstock your tank and clean them often and they will work fine. When you start heavily stocking a tank, or are trying to growout a large spawn of fry, that is when you will see the difference between a sponge filter and a wet/dry.

-Ryan

riu
07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Hello, in Spain, we use dry-wet or huge biological filters for aquariums to grow discus, but I see that in the U.S. much use filters sponge for this.

You believe that these filters, have enough bacteria to rapidly convert nitrites in nitrates? Faster than a dry-wet?

Raul

Moon
07-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I use both in my fish room. Wet/dry for the larger tanks and sponge for smaller multiple tank systems. Rayan is right, sponge filters do need an occational squeeze out and rinse to remove debris. It is very economical when you have a central air system. I've been using sponge filters in my tanks for the past 20 years and never had one go bad.
Wet/dry is good for larger tanks with high stocking levels and require very little maintenence.

hudson of sleat
09-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi,
I have been reading all your comments on sponge filters. There seams a lot is to be learnt. But can anybody pleased advise how fast or how much air should be put through a spong filter for it to work properly. I was under the impression that Discus like calm waters. Am I also right in asuming if the filter is not fully working then the nitrite levels will go up.
Any help would be most welcome and I'm hoping I am in the right forum for these qustions.
Kindest of regards
Phil

Moon
09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Phil
It is difficult to estimate how much air should be passed through a sponge filter. Mine have a steady stream of bubbles just enough to break the surface water. It is true discus do not like high volume water movement. A sponge filter will not greate a high volume water flow. The air volume through the lift tube should move enough water to turn over the total tank volume a few times an hour.
HTH
Joe

hudson of sleat
09-24-2008, 04:47 AM
Hi Joe, many thanks for that swift reply, it was very helpful and it is giving me a better picture of things now.