PDA

View Full Version : Easy Method for Auto Water Changes

scolley
07-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I recently set up an auto-water change system for my 29g that I'm using as a quarantine for some new fish.
But in this thread (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=64796) there seemed to be some interest in how I set up the auto water change in my 29g. It's not pretty. And it could fail. But for the few months I'll be using in, I think the risk is low. It works pretty easily... I don't touch it. It just does a 50% w/c for me once each morning, and once each evening. It would be easy to set it up to do more, or less, as needed.

The "system" is simple, having four main components:

Control Equipment
Drain equipment
Fill equipment
Aging "Tank"

THE CONTROL EQUIPMENT
Everything is controlled by three digital timers. One timer controls the drain process. One controls the fill process. And I even have one shut off my my main filter while I'm draining and filling, because the fish seem to be bothered by all the extra water movement, and that helps minimize it. In my particular setup the drain process is 10 minutes, the fill process is 12. I've got the timers synchronized to the same time. So at 9 AM (and 9 PM) one timer shuts off the main filter. A couple of minutes after that, another timer starts the drain, and lets that run for 10 minutes. Then a minute after that finishes, a third timer starts the fill process, and lets that fun for 12 minutes. And a minute or two after that finishes, the first timer turns the main filter back on.

It's worth noting that the drain and fill timers need to be plugged into either the same wall socket, or into the same power strip. You do not want to risk losing power to one and not the other. They either need to be both woking, or both not working.

I prefer the Intermatic DT27C (http://www.intermatic.com/Default.asp?action=prod&pid=9231&did=5&cid=43&sid=114) timers because the buttons are covered, so you don't have to worry about something getting changed accidentally. And it has a battery backup, if you lose power, if never forgets the time, or it's programming.

THE DRAIN EQUIPMENT
To get the water out of the tank, I've got a simple little Aquaclear PH301 (http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp19862/si1378644/cl0/aquaclearpowerhead301) powerhead stuck halfway up the side of the tank on the inside. It's got a 3/8" ID hose that connects to the outflow of the powerhead, up and out of the tank and over to a drain I have in the same room. So when the timer turns the drain powerhead on, it sucks water out of the tank, and pushes it to the drain. While the drain timer leaves the powerhead on for 10 minutes, it actually only takes water out of the tank for about 7 minutes. Once the water level gets low enough to start sucking up a little air with the water, it tries to push more water, but can't. I let it spend the last 3 minutes of the drain cycle trying, but actually doing nothing. And because it is sucking up some water, but not much, it does not burn out.

This extra time is deliberate. Because if I ever drain LESS water than the amount that is going to be pumped back in, the tank is going to overflow. And since I can depend on the fact that the same amount of water is going back each time, I want to make sure that AT LEAST that much is removed first. The extra time on the drain process is just a little bit of of caution, just to make double sure there is enough time to drain every thing that is supposed to drain.

THE FILL EQUIPMENT
This is simple. It's just a Eheim Universal 1048 Hobby pump (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~pumps_eheim_universal_ho bby_powerheads.html) sitting on the bottom of my aging tank that pumps water up a 3/8" ID tube into the tank. It's on a timer, and starts right after the drain is finished, so it always pumps up the same amount of water at just the right time.

It's possible that some powerheads may have been able to do this. But since the aging tank is several feet below the aquarium, I thought that extra head pressure might take a hefty little pump like this one.

And it's important to note... the fill process is always 12 minutes. But the amount of water that is pumped in 12 minutes could vary. I always start the process with the aging tank full. But if it were not full, there would not be as much head pressure, and less water would be pumped. Or if I raised my aging tank up higher (relative to the aquarium) the total head pressure would be less, and I'd pump MORE water. That would be bad. But as long as my fill process always starts with a full tank. And if I don't go moving the aging tank, it will always pump a nice predictable quantity of water.

THE AGING "TANK"
To age my water I bought a 30 gallon trash can. The water coming into the trash can is from my tap water. I connected some RO/DI tubing to our home's cold water lines using a saddle-valve tap (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~RO1319~idCategor y~FIRORARP~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Reverse_Osmosis-Accessories-RO_Unit_Plumbing_Parts~vendor~.html). That tubing runs to two DI canisters - like these (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~RO1191~idCategor y~FIRORARC~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Reverse_Osmosis-Accessories-Replacment_Canister__Housings~vendor~.html). The water line goes into one canister, that canister connects to the next canister, and the final canister is connected to the 30 gallon trash can.

The first of the two canisters has a 5 micron carbon matrix filter (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~RO1133~idCategor y~FIRORPCB~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Reverse_Osmosis-Replacement_Filters-Carbon_Block_Cartridges~vendor~.html) in it. This caches big stuff in the water, and strips out the chlorine in it. The second canister is a 0.5 micron cartridge (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~RO1131~idCategor y~FIRORPCB~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Reverse_Osmosis-Replacement_Filters-Carbon_Block_Cartridges~vendor~.html), which really strips out any particulates, and further strips any traces of chlorine in the water. This works for me only because my water company uses chlorine. If they used chlorimines instead, I'd have to come up with another solution.

The second cartridge is connected to the trash can with more RO/DI tubing, and terminates with one of these float valves (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~KM1675~idCategor y~FIRORAFV~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Reverse_Osmosis-Accessories-Float_Valves~vendor~.html). I drilled a small hole about 2" from the top of the trash can, popped this through the hole, screwed it down tight, and plugged in the tubing. It's just like the float in your toilet. If the water is low, it lets more water in until it floats up, and then shuts off the water. Simple.

And in the trash cans I've tossed a couple of aquarium heaters to warm the water. I've also got a little air pump pushing air through an air stone in the trash can, to pre-aerate the water, and to assist in the removal of any last traces of chlorine, if any.

It's worth noting that if you want to get a bigger storage container, and really crank the air stone, in many cases you might not need teh carbon filters I'm using. But if you have chlorimine in your water, you are probaly stuck having to use a commercial de-chlor product (like Prime) to deal with it. Sorry.

WHAT IF I DO HAVE CHLORIMINE IN MY WATER?
Well, things get a little more expensive. I know some RI/DO units can remove it. But I don't know much about that really, so you'll have to find those details elsewhere.

Or you could buy a liquidoser (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=EH3585&productid=EH3585&channelid=FROOG)or a peristaltic pump (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~AQ4511~idCategor y~FIDPETPU~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off-Electric_Powered-Plug_in_Units~vendor~.html) to dose your aging tank with de-chlor periodically. (Though I that is not my favorite peristaltic pump. They get better for a little more money.)

Or I think you could use staged aging tanks, where instead of just one, you had two, or three.

Another pump on a timer could move water from the "new water" tank to an "old water" tank. And of course you would pump water for the aquarium from the "old water" tank. And you would need aeration in each tank, but only heat in the "old water" tank. I'm not positive about the aging of chlorimine treated water though. So do check that out before you take my word for it.

These solutions are a little more complicated, and a definitely more expensive. Bottom line, you are lucky if your water only has chlorine and not chlorimine.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Several things.

The little float valve in the trash can could get stuck, and there would be a disaster. But as long as I don't introduce snails or something into that trash can, I guess that's about as likely as it happening to my toilets, which it does not.
The dog could chew through tubing. That'd be awful. But unlikely with my dog.
The house could lose power during a drain process, but resume before, or during, the fill process. That could indeed cause water to overflow... if the drain process didn't finish, then the fill process could put back more than was removed. That could get wet. But because the entire drain time is only 10 minutes, and because I schedule the drain/fill cycle at low power usage times, for this to happen would take quit a coincidence. Possible - yes. Likely - no.
A timer could fail. I have no idea what the likelihood of that is. I am hoping it's very low, for the first 4 or 5 years of service for these timers.

So it's not perfect. Accidents could happen. But they are all pretty unlikely.
For the purposes of this tank, and for the huge benefit I get in not having to change my water... I'm willing to risk it.

And it's not cheap. I suppose the question is, how much is it worth to never change that water again? ;)

And as I mentioned initially, you can get a lot more sophisticated with something like this. I've got a far more robust auto water change system on my main tank. You can look at how that works here at www.wetplantlogic.com (http://wetplantlogic.com/). Look at the "Technical Tank Diagram" post. But this is about the lowest cost, easiest to set up way that I know for never changing your water, with near zero maintenance to keep it running... The filters do have to be changed every 6-12 months. But that's about it. Not so bad.

I hope this was helpful.

yim11
07-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow Steve, excellent information. I already have a significant amount of that setup so this could be a feasible project for me. Problem is I don't trust the dog (Jack Russell)... ;)

Only thing I could think to add would be a phone alert monitor for flooding. Only model I could find online with a quick search was one that did freeze alert too (which would be nice also).

http://waterdetectoralarms.com/catalog/i4.html

Thanks!
-jim

scolley
07-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Jim - I'd forget this whole topic if I had a Jack Russell. ;)

Seriously... you have to naturally adapt your pluming to the threats to it. So for you, it might take some tougher tubing. But if you are actually considering investing in that expensive "call me if it's wet" device, you can make this whole thing MUCH more reliable.

Just order one of these AC Jr's (w/DC8 *& serial port) (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~NS1165~idCategor y~FITEMOMI~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Testing_Equipment-Monitor_Equipment-Multi_Item_Monitors___Controllers~vendor~.html), and put one of these float switches (http://www.automatedaquariums.com/7197.htm) (or a cheaper one if you can find it) in your tank, and wire it to the AC Jr. The AC Jr will replace the Intermatic timers, and save that money. And by programming the AC Jr correctly, you can tell it to stop filling if EITHER the time is up OR if the float switch says the tank is full.

THAT is a real reliable way to do this. But just a tad more expensive.

And it is almost as slick as how I do it in my 180g.

There's a lot of ways to skin the "autofill without overflow" cat. And I've spent a lot of money and time experimenting on learning what does, and does not, work. And there's a lot of crap on the market.

What I've got on my 180g works like a charm, but what I've written up here should work very well if you follow the instructions here. :)

Moon
07-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Great information. The only thing I would add is to drill the tanks for overflow. This can avoid the drain cycle.

yim11
07-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Steve,

That AC Jr is great, I was just looking at temp and pH controllers/monitors on the other thread related to this but this one is much better - I really like the programming and X10 option. Pretty sure I'm one of the few left still using X10 controllers and coding my own home automation utilities. Really does make life easier. I like the Intermatic stuff, but until they can get it to talk to my computer it's only got limited use for me.

Moon,
In my case, I don't have tempered glass so don't have the drill option for overflow. Not sure if that's the case for Steve or not...

Sorry to stray off subject, and THANKS for the info - really appreciate this thread and your knowledge!

Thanks again,
-jim

iceterran
07-08-2008, 07:29 AM
How is the aging tank kept full? Manually? also what about PH and GH?

scolley
07-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Great information. The only thing I would add is to drill the tanks for overflow. This can avoid the drain cycle.Not quite. The solution I've posted here is one that is pretty easily doable by most hobbyists. I've found a lot of people are uncomfortable, or unwilling, to drill tanks. I've got 8 bulkhead holes in my 180, but for this little 29g, I was just looking for something quick and easy that I could apply to an off the store shelf tank. But if you are willing to drill bulkhead holes...

An overflow will work for drain and fill. For drain you have to set it up so that the drain top is 1/2 up the tank - or what ever level you want to drain to. And then you need a solenoid on the drain line to open/close on a timed basis. Easily done

And a 2nd overflow at the top of the tank will ensure that you never overfill the tank. And that requires no solenoid, just a drain line.

And technically an overflow box (or weir) can eliminate some of the drilling, but then you have to trust that you will never lose the siphon on the weir.

Good points. Thanks!

Steve,

That AC Jr is great, I was just looking at temp and pH controllers/monitors on the other thread related to this but this one is much better - I really like the programming and X10 option. Pretty sure I'm one of the few left still using X10 controllers and coding my own home automation utilities. Really does make life easier. I like the Intermatic stuff, but until they can get it to talk to my computer it's only got limited use for me.

Moon,
In my case, I don't have tempered glass so don't have the drill option for overflow. Not sure if that's the case for Steve or not...

Sorry to stray off subject, and THANKS for the info - really appreciate this thread and your knowledge!

Thanks again,
-jim
Jim, if you trust X10 (and have overriden all your "local control" circuits) then the x10 control unit for the AC Jr is about $40, and you can skip buying the mucho expensivo DC8 and use your x10 modules instead... saving lots of money potentially. But the AC Jr. doesn't talk to your computer very well. It CAN be done, and you'll find people discussing how on www.reefcentral.com, on the Neptune Systems vendor forum. But it's HARD. I upgraded to an AC III a year or two ago and LOVE it's web interface.

But they are wonderful little pieces of hardware. Due to the cost, the decision to use these was one of my toughest aquarium decisions - it seems so frivolous. But BOY does it make life easier. These are indeed the bee's knees.

And BTW - to be clear, it's the tempered glass that you cannot drill. Most commercial tanks have tempered bottoms and untempered side. Meaning, you can drill most tank sides if you wish, but not the bottoms. Either way you'll want to check with the manufacturor before proceeding. And personally, while www.jehmco.com will sell you glass bits, I'd take my tank to a glass shop and let professionals do it. It's easy to screw up drilling glass, and getting it done for you will cost about what buying a glass drill bit will.

How is the aging tank kept full? Manually? also what about PH and GH?The aging tank is kept full by the float valve I linked to. That little float valve has your water line plugged into it. So when the valves float is not floating, it opens the water valve and starts filling. But as soon as the water level floats the valve high enough, it closes the water valve and stops filling.

My apologies about PH and GH! A major oversight on my part! :o

I was assuming that you were fortunate enough to have water that, once declorinated, pre-aerated, and heated, that it would be sufficient for your fish. So just as in the "What if I do have chlorimine in my water?" section, you may find that you need to consider using a liquidoser or a peristaltic pump to introduce liquid agents to manage your PH and GH.

discussmith
07-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I found this to be a very interesting thread but was a little surprised at this solution when seeing how it has almost no safety features like your neptune system and you would not be around to deal with the issues you raised plus some you didn't. This is not at all a criticism as I love the DYI part of the hobby. Just some observations and experiences. I don't know what the ambient temp is in the room of the storage water tank but if you have heat failure you will dump colder water into the aquarium. If a pump fails due to locked rotor or slowed due to debris (which tends to accumulate on rotors not in constant motion) you will either overflow or underfill depending on the pump. Depending on the speed with which the storage tank refills you are refilling at the same time you are pumping out to refill the aquarium sending unheated co2 laden water into the mix. Which may or may not be of concern depending on how stable PH is with your tap water and how much enters before the timer times out. You mention a particular digital timer which is good as they are much more reliable than the mechanical timers one might be tempted to use that are much more prone to failure. The system is designed around one aquarium and of a particular size range.

I can understand very few would want to or can invest the $ required to purchase and install a neptune type system so there is a definite need here. I am curious as to how many are there out there though like you and I that would be interested in a plug and play type of system that would require the push of a button to start and monitoring to assure yourself all went according to design.

scolley
07-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback discussmith. I'd like begin my response by saying, I hope that I did not position this as a fool proof solution. Far from it. And I believe that my initial comments bear that out. This is an imperfect solution. But for many, like myself in my quarantine tank, it may be "good enough".

That said, you've made good points that bear response...

I don't know what the ambient temp is in the room of the storage water tank but if you have heat failure you will dump colder water into the aquarium.Actually I have two heaters in the aging "tank" (trash can!) and I should have mentioned that as a part of the solution. Sorry. And if we were to carry that concern further, we would state that - like tanks - a perfect solution requires multiple heaters - each one so small that the failure of any single heater in the "on" position does not cook fish.

But I've noticed that LOTS of hobbyist only keep one heater. So I've left that level of caution up to the individual hobbyist. Me, I've got two heaters in the aging tank.

If a pump fails due to locked rotor or slowed due to debris (which tends to accumulate on rotors not in constant motion) you will either overflow or underfill depending on the pump.On the fill side I don't believe that is an issue. I did neglect to mention keeping the lid on the garbage can - that's important because it keeps the light out. And light is important because with a 0.5 micro filter on your water inflow, the ONLY thing that is going to introduce "debris" is that which grows from sunlight. So for the fill side, please keep that lid on.

On the drain side, I think I made if pretty clear that I provided EXCESS time on the drain process. Will that excess always be enough, so that equiptment cleaning is never required? I'm sure not. But again, this is not God's-gift to a perfect solution. But in many cases will be good enough.

Depending on the speed with which the storage tank refills you are refilling at the same time you are pumping out to refill the aquarium sending unheated co2 laden water into the mix. Which may or may not be of concern depending on how stable PH is with your tap water and how much enters before the timer times out.You will find, I believe, with the equipment that I specifically referenced that that will be a quite neglible issue. Granted, I do a few things to moderate temperature concerns that I should have mentioned...

1) I make sure both of my heaters are in the bottom of the "aging" tank. That way water leaving it (down at the bottom where the pump is) are most likely to be well heated.
2) I've got a heater in the tank that is over-sized for the tank. That was an omission on my part. Sorry. It is oversized because the risk of it cooking my fish - to me - is exceeded by the benefit of it helping insure that no inflow of water creates a real temperature differential problem.

As to the PH, I think I mentioned in my previous post... if your tap water is not suitable for your fish, it's a whole different ballgame - potentially requiring pumping additives into your water before it his the tank.

And as for CO2 laden... I have to admit being clueless on that one. I'm not familiar with CO2 laden tap water. You got me on that one.

The system is designed around one aquarium and of a particular size range.Absolutely. I indictated that this is for my 29g. So I did not point out what I thought to be obvious... If your tank is of a different size, EVERYTHING about your own personal solution will have be be re-sized appropriately to accommodate the difference.

Anyone that does not intrinsically know that is - IMO - not long for this hobby.

I am curious as to how many are there out there though like you and I that would be interested in a plug and play type of system that would require the push of a button to start and monitoring to assure yourself all went according to design.Monitoring is the tough part. And this takes us down a long road of "KISS" and high-tech angst. But the reality is - as I can confirm from personal experience - a well thought out and constructed system can work pretty reliably. It takes periodic checking to make sure all things are still working as planned (are my rotors clogged? is the tap water too cold for this now? have my carbon filters worn out?). But setting it up right, followed for short term confirmation that it is working right, and reinforced by periodic checking that things are STILL working right can indeed be good enough.

Your comments reflect clearly your having looked closely and critically at the "solution" discussmith. Thank you. Only by surfacing such thought and concern will people understand all the issues and be able to decide for themselves - from an informed stand point - if this is something that is "worth the risk" for them, or something that needs to be improved upon based on the issues raised.

Thanks.

discussmith
07-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Again no criticism is at all intended. I felt my post was already getting cumbersome so I didn't go into exact detail on some of the issues I raised. For lazy types like myself I change more water more often if its automated, and am encouraging those who are interested in discus but are scared off by the amounts and frequency of water changes to consider this and other methods that would allow one to be a more successful water changer. The concerns in constant and numerous water changes are not for perfect discus water but for stability, as I have found todays domestic breeds can tolerate most water chemistry if it is indeed stable. Hence the concern about PH. Not what it is but that it doesn't change radically from tap to tank as is the experience of some here. However I must disagree about debris. You probably have softer water. I have hard water and deposits will precipitate out of it in my storage tanks and over time collect on the side walls, bottom, pumps (inside and out), heaters etc. and cause pump and heater problems. From an experience I had with my storage pump locking up because of lime deposits on the impellar and warping the housing because it got too hot. This was after I had started my process so the aquarium was empty expecting to get refilled when nothing happened. I had a backup so wasn't completely screwed, but boy did I have to scramble.

More to my point was if designed right unattended automation with some safety checks can be accomplished without breaking the bank and provide some extra peace of mind about potential failures. Just simple things like a remote thermostat that allow you to know your storage tank temp without going to it and placing the sensor bulb high near the top so if it reads the correct temp you would then also know it is full of water etc. Systems designed to be bound only by storage tank capacity and not the size or number of aquariums can be built with off the shelf components for those so inclined.

scolley
07-10-2008, 06:44 PM
However I must disagree about debris. You probably have softer water. I have hard water and deposits will precipitate out of it in my storage tanks and over time collect on the side walls, bottom, pumps (inside and out), heaters etc. and cause pump and heater problems. From an experience I had with my storage pump locking up because of lime deposits on the impellar and warping the housing because it got too hot. This was after I had started my process so the aquarium was empty expecting to get refilled when nothing happened. I had a backup so wasn't completely screwed, but boy did I have to scramble.
Wow! Does that point ever demonstrate the value of forums!

You are right, I do have wicked soft water, and deposits are almost unheard of. So naturally it never crossed my mind. But your point is well taken.

So I suppose this just kind of underlies the fact that with any real aquarium plumbing task of any complexity, that there are SO many variables that the most you can really say is "It worked for me. But your mileage may vary."

Thanks for the post! People please take note, this may be an issue for you if you try any of this...

Darrell Ward
07-14-2008, 01:58 AM
That's an interesting setup. I've been using a simple but effective drip system on my tanks with sumps for a long time. Automation sure makes multiple tanks easier to manage. :)

Xenomorph
07-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Great info Steve.

DiscussDiscus
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Steve,

This looks awesome. I think the DIY aspect of this hobby is going to be the part that really keeps me in the for the long haul. My roomates and I had already been combining our marine boating experience to deal with the water mechanics. you raise some very good points about the issues with moving the priming tank /drain point and how you would need to reset your timers, i hadn't thought of that yet. thanks for this!

Lee

scolley
08-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Another problem to be wary of...

There another thing that I neglected to mention, that could be an issue for some people - water loss from a siphon effect, due to a "partial" drain.

When my powerhead begins pumping water out of the tank, if completely fills the discharge line with water. So initially I've got a hose full of water discharging. As the water level lowers, and hits the air intake on my powehead, it begins to suck in air mixed with the water, which is in turn, discharged through the discharge hose. So now the hose that was completely filled with water is a mixture of air and water bubbles.

Eventually the powerhead lowers the water level to the point that it can no longer suck up anything but air. When this happens, there's nothing in the hose but air. That's GOOD. That's what you want.

Because when the drain process stops, and the fill process begins, that hose is empty. And it remains that way all the way through the fill cycle, except of course, that the water level in the discharge hose rises to stay the same level as the water in the tank.

But if you happen to accidentally turn that power head on again - even for a moment - you're gonna lose a LOT of water. This is the problem you have to be careful of...

When you turn the powerhead on momentarily, the discharge hose fills with water. And if you picture it - this discharge hose is connected to a powerhead located about midway down the tank mounted on a tank wall. The hose comes up, out of the tank, and eventually down into a drain. Turning that powerhead on - even for a moment - can push all the air out of that hose, replacing it with water, and "Presto Chango!" You've got a siphon! And that siphon is going to keep emptying water out of your tank until the water level is down to your powerhead. Even if you've turned your power head off.

So really, you can't use this setup to drain your tank a little bit. Once you turn that powerhead on, one way or the other - powered or by the siphon - you are going to drain your tank down to the level of the powerhead.

This will not happen - naturally - if your discharge line drains to a point higher than the top of your tank. But if it is lower - as in mine - it's still not the end of the world. The next time you have a drain cycle, it'll just run dry for the duration of the drain cycle. If your powerhead can take that, then no problem.

So - it's not a terrible risk. The downside is low. But it is a little "gotcha" with a setup like this that you need to be aware of.