PDA

View Full Version : Greater Seattle Aquarium Society

Autumn Wind
07-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Does anyone here belong to GSAS? I was thinking of attending a meeting and checking it out.

kaceyo
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm not personaly, but a good friend who has bought a number of my fish has alot of good things to say about them. Go for it and let us know what you think.

Kacey

mpfishe1
07-22-2008, 02:57 AM
I am new to discus and would like to meet others in Seattle land area to discuss how to raise them happily. I find these forums to be overwhelming. Please let me know when and where the GSAS meetings are.

Thanks,
Matt

kaceyo
07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Matt,
You can find a schedule for all their meetings and events on the GSAS website. While I'm sure there is a wealth of information available through the club, you won't come close to the discus specific info you'll find here on Simply.
Just start reading in the areas you have questions about. You don't need to get any more involved than that if you don't want to.

Kacey

rowedder
10-11-2008, 05:11 PM
I agree with Kaceyo, this site will tell you pretty much anything you'd wanna know.

April
10-12-2008, 02:09 AM
clubs are great..ive heard alot of good things about the seattle club. our club here in vancouver canada and their club go back and forth for their auctions . you meet alot of fish hobbyists which is good..and alot of nice people and alot of laughs. good to relate to others in your area who are fishnuts . but..on the whole not alot of serious discus hobbyists at them. more general fish. i keep and sell regular fish also so i enjoy going to the club . but simply..has breeders, importers, international , and you learn alot here . and alot of personal experiences etc also.

ShinShin
10-20-2008, 12:36 AM
I've been to several meetings and know a few people from this club. They are active and hold 2 major auctons yearly. In February they have a plant auction and later in the spring they have a large fish and supply auction. Then, and I believe its their final yearly meeting in June they have a nationally noted speaker's meeting and then take the following two months off. Dick Au was a speaker one year and Wayne Leibel,PhD and noted cichlid expert published monthly in TFH was another.

There are a number of very knowledgable members. The Krib web site is run by a member as well.

At least that's the way it used to be. I am considering joining since our club dismantled several years ago.

Clubs are more than an info source. They are fun and a fellowship is formed by local hobbyists.

Mat

Autumn Wind
04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Well I went to the annual GSAS auction yesterday and I joined the club. It was a lot of fun. The auction was a lot bigger than I expected, tons of plants, fish and supplies and the prices where really low some people got some really great deals. I bought a few plants that I had been wanting for awhile that I could only find online so I saved huge on shipping costs. They even had the biggest Clown Loach I have ever seen named Bob and Bob loves to be petted, if I hadn't seen it i wouldn't believe it. They guy would stick his hand in the bucket and the fish would jump into his hand and wait to be lifted up and would lay in his hand to be petted and the fish LOVED it. Every time he would go back in the bucket it would practically beg to be picked up again. Very entertaining.
Unfortunately it went on for longer than I expected and I had to leave before the raffle which I am bummed about because they had some nice stuff for the raffle like couple canister filters. (note to self: don't bring an easily bored mate with you)
There were a couple of people who said they raised discus but it was difficult to talk so hopefully I can meet them again during the meetings which is usually the second Tuesday of the month.
Would love to meet any Simply people there :D