PDA

View Full Version : a stupid newbie question please...

mikel
07-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I have had discus for almost exactly one year now. I acquired two nice red pigeons from Al last August, and I also have one very nice six inch red turq and my newly acquired 6 inch blue diamond. All are in a 49 breeder tank.

Just today, it looks like my two pigeons from Al have decided to becme a pair, and they relentlessly attack the very nice dispositioned turq and the new blue diamond. I went to the LFS and they sold me a "Lee's AQ aquarium divider system"...which is a long way of saying a mesh divider.

I have my 40 breeder divided in half...one side is the blue diamond and the red turq...they seem to at the very least tolerate each other/play nice. Maybe they can be a pair. The other side is the very aggressive pigeon pair.

My question is this....I have 4 fish in a 40 breeder, so the size is ok. But the divider is in the middle. Can I keep these two pairs like this long term in the same tank?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I dont have the room for another tank, so this is why I am doing this. If I could set up another 40 breeder 9or even a 29 gal), that would be the best solution. But that's not an option at this point. Thanks for your feedback in advance. mike

White Worm
07-15-2008, 06:34 PM
As long as both sides can stay peaceful, it shouldnt be a problem. With a good w/c program, you could add a couple more discus to disperse the aggression a little bit (nothing wrong with 6 in a 40g). The problems will occur when and if the pairs have fry.

mikel
07-15-2008, 06:41 PM
hahahaha!!!! I just gave up 4 5-inch sized red turq juvies yesterday in exchange for this beautiful blue diamond yesterday....partly because I love this blue diamond, and partly because I thought my tank was so overcrowded (I had 7). But you think if I went out and purchase another discus to make it a group f 5, or even 6, then they can live together again? This gives me permission to buy at least one new fish!!!!!!

Kindredspirit
07-15-2008, 11:21 PM
But you think if I went out and purchase another discus to make it a group f 5, or even 6, then they can live together again? This gives me permission to buy at least one new fish!!!!!!

Don't forget to quarantine ~ minimum 6 weeks....:D It would be awful to see such an excited person posting in the illness section....:(

And don't forget pictures!:)

White Worm
07-16-2008, 12:49 AM
As long as you keep up on good water changes every 2-3 days, you could keep 6-7 in that tank.

mikel
07-16-2008, 06:49 AM
so I gave away four red turq babies that I had raised since 2 inches for "nothing"? It's ok, they went to my favorite LFS that knows how to keep discus, and they liked my discus, which is a good sign that I did something right in the way I grew them out. Now I will look for an addition to my 4...maybe a "blue sapphire" from someone here. Yes, I will remember to quarantine!!!! Thanks, Kindredspirit! mike

mikel
07-16-2008, 06:50 AM
By the way, I change 50% of the water everyday from my 40 breeder tank. mike