PDA

View Full Version : Large leaf plants turning yellow then brown.

Xirxes
07-18-2008, 12:45 AM
I am wondering why my large crypts. and swords are turning yellow throughout whole leaf, then to brown before withering away, from the outside out. I noticed this progression in about a weeks time!

I have 4x39w AND 4X24w t5ho bulbs, 1/2 6700k, 1/2 pink.

I am dosing 150G worth of flourish original every other day, and Flourin K potassium 150G worth on off days. Eco Complete substrate and 2x25% water changes a week on 125 gallon display with 60G sump.

Also using CO2 with one distributor at 2 bubbles/sec.

PLEASE HELP! am i overfertilizing?

DiscusDude85
07-18-2008, 05:06 AM
Yellowing is a lack of iron.

Joe

Xirxes
07-18-2008, 09:28 PM
So after adding Flourish Excel and Iron to my dosing schedule, there isnt much more i can possibly do to make things better for the plants?

My new routine:

Day1: Flourish Reg, Iron
Day2: Flourish Excel, Potassium
Rinse repeat

2 x 30% WC weekly.

After WC: Discus buffer to 6.8 pH, Discus Amino acids, Discus trace, Small amount Equilibrium for GH.

Am i missing anything for planted discus tank? Thanks ahead of time

Wahter
07-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Post some photos and let us look. How long have you had these swords and crypts? Could be the plants are adapting to submersed life.

Walter

Darrell Ward
07-19-2008, 02:03 PM
It's easy to over do it with the liquid stuff and cause algae. Be careful. I learned this the hard way.

alan j t
07-20-2008, 02:19 AM
hey Xirxes
i had the same issues with my swords
i tried everything from more light to different substrates and ferts out the wazoo and flourish tabs
i was recommended to put plant jobes under or next to my swords
NPK sticks are used for house plants and works wonders for my swords and crypts
i thought my discus would die or get some serious algea in the tank but
my swords are HUGE and my fish are fine
walmart sells them for like a dollar and you get 50 sticks
break the sticks in half and put one on each side of the swords
13-4-5 are numbers you need to look for or something similar
make sure the middle number is low
come to find out liquid ferts dont help my swords or crypts
they are some serious root feeder and those sticks should fix your problem

pcsb23
07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
...I noticed this progression in about a weeks time!...if I read this right it starts to happen after the plants have been in a week?? if so then the probability is they are changing from being grown emmersed to immersed.

Patr1ck
12-14-2008, 02:30 AM
...i was recommended to put plant jobes under or next to my swords
NPK sticks are used for house plants and works wonders for my swords and crypts
i thought my discus would die or get some serious algea in the tank but
my swords are HUGE and my fish are fine
walmart sells them for like a dollar and you get 50 sticks
break the sticks in half and put one on each side of the swords
13-4-5 are numbers you need to look for or something similar
make sure the middle number is low...

I know this is an old thread but, how often do you put these sticks in your tank? How much light? and any co2 in your tank?

Thanks
P

Freon
12-20-2008, 02:59 AM
I am wondering why my large crypts. and swords are turning yellow throughout whole leaf, then to brown before withering away, from the outside out. I noticed this progression in about a weeks time!

I have 4x39w AND 4X24w t5ho bulbs, 1/2 6700k, 1/2 pink.

I am dosing 150G worth of flourish original every other day, and Flourin K potassium 150G worth on off days. Eco Complete substrate and 2x25% water changes a week on 125 gallon display with 60G sump.

Also using CO2 with one distributor at 2 bubbles/sec.

PLEASE HELP! am i overfertilizing?http://www.seachem.com/Library/Calculators.html

Blackwater Aquaria
12-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Start using Geovoni By Ocean Nutrition there are 3 products Ferti + & trace + also the iorn workes great for me just ask anyone that have seen my plants. Good Luck !!!! Mike D. BWA:bandana::bandana:

tacks
12-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi Mike I use master tropcal grow but would like to try something else but were can I buy it. thanks Ed