PDA

View Full Version : help with Discus strains?

*Polka dots roc*
07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi guys these are all pics i found on the internet and would maybe like to get... but most of them had no names so can you guys help? I am getting four and can't decide whether to get all different or two of two strains any ideas oh.. and also tell me which would look good together PLEASE.
AND THANK YOU!
1-36591
2-36592
3-36593
4-36607
5-36600
P.s. april do you ever get these discus in?

*Polka dots roc*
07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Oh lol sorry number four is katt ja's new leopard:) I saved that pic so i could send it too april to see if she had any... i hope thats ok?

bs6749
07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Discus like to be in groups, so you will want at least 6 fish total. If this is your first time with discus I'd recommend getting 3" or larger fish as they require less frequent feedings, etc. Also, I'd recommend getting "common" or less expensive fish to start with rather than fancier patterned fish. Sure it'd be nice to have a large albino golden in your tank until it turns up dead, along with the rest of your fish from a "beginner's mistake". I'm not saying that you'll make one of those mistakes but I feel that less expensive fish are the way to go. I'd look into blue diamonds, white diamonds, pigeon blood strains, and other strains that cost about $20-40 per fish. Check out some of the pictures in the sponsors section here on the forums. Look at Kenny's Discus, Central Ohio Discus, and Gulf Coast Discus to see what is available and what prices generally run. This will let you know what to expect when it comes time to purchasing. I know that you are in Canada and I wasn't saying to buy from only those three sponsors. I just know that they have excellent pictures of great quality fish and they post the prices for each fish. I believe that April usually gets fish from the same supplier as Kenny but I don't think she does the volume that he does and so she doesn't update as often as Kenny.

seanyuki
07-21-2008, 01:51 AM
HI Nicole,

1.Bulldog Leopard
2.?
3.Albino Carnation
4.?
5.Golden Sunrise

Cheers
Francis:)

April
07-21-2008, 02:40 AM
well..i get most of the strains..that kenny offers each time..and i help clean him out ..fast..so i usually have pretty good stock. i would suggest..some leopards, maybe a yellow one, red turks are nice, maybe a santarem or red rose and a snakeskin or melons. nice colours ,good show and not over the top pricewise. so where do you live again miss polkadot rocks? are you coming to select or is shipping involved. if you can..coming to the shop is the best way..you can see some adults etc and hand pick and get a better idea who they look as they grow.

*Polka dots roc*
07-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanx bs6749 i have already talked to april about pricing in some of my many emails to her:) I have talked to people who say it is ok to get just 4 because i only have a 46g final tank and don't want to over fill it, now your telling me i need six and im getting all confused again:S

Thanks francis you're always there to answer my questions:)

Hmm.. April i'll send you a pm about maybe coming up there not quite sure i if am but ill pm you ok?

bs6749
07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
The smallest tank I'd go with as a community tank would be a 55 gallon tank. Others would say that a 45 is okay but I think a 55 would be much better. You might be able to get away with 5 in that tank if it's planted and you keep up on water changes. Discus feel more comfortable in a school of 6. Exceptions being pairs that you can isolate in a tank no smaller than a 20H.

*Polka dots roc*
07-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately other issues have come up and i had to use my hard earned tank money. I know they feel safer in a group of 6 but as you see i can not afford that size tank:( So 5 being the most i can fit that's probably the number i'll get, but others have had 4 before and found it to be no problem so i don't really know what to do. And it's not gonna be a community tank just 4 or 5 discus and 3 otos and 3 cories.

April do you ever get checkerboard red turqs in and if so how much do they cost?

*Polka dots roc*
07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
do white diamonds look good with red turqs or leopards or anything along those ligns?

bs6749
07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't look okay together. I guess it's all in the taste of the viewer. I like to have a variety in my tanks but others may want all of one strain. Whatever you like is what you should get.

April
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
yes i do get checkerboard turks . snowwhites ive found dont get as good growth and slower. i get the white buttterflies though . i usually have most colours. yellow, red, turks, blues, polkadotted..etc.

*Polka dots roc*
07-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys. April do you realize that you actually got me into discus? It was your website and that email that i wrote to you that stole my heart knowing that I could actually have them made me happier than i had been in along time. Then you told me about the forum and now i'm hooked... on here everyday :) So i wanted to say thanks for answering all my questions and just helping me out AND hopefully soon sending me my discus:):):)

And francis you too more help than i could ever ask for my friend:)