PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Co2 Generators

Samgaz
07-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi all,
I have a 90g planted tank and I do not use Co2. (yet) I've heard of people using home made Co2 generators. The kind made out of pop bottles and a yeast formula.

Just wondering if anybody has tried this or if anyone knows weather it works.

Thanks in advance
Sam

Big Tuck
07-25-2008, 04:50 PM
:DI have built 4 of these co2 gadgets and they really seem to work.I kind of played around with the sugar,yeast mix and am now getting 12 to 14 days per fill up.My plants have really exploded but so has the algi so i havent got something right,im still playing with it.

Wahter
07-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi all,
I have a 90g planted tank and I do not use Co2. (yet) I've heard of people using home made Co2 generators. The kind made out of pop bottles and a yeast formula.

Just wondering if anybody has tried this or if anyone knows weather it works.

Thanks in advance
Sam

The yeast in a 2 liter bottle will work, but usually they are best for aquariums of 50 gallons or smaller. (unless you want to run several bottles at the same time).

After doing that for a couple of years, I got tired of the "2 week replenish the CO2" routine and went to the pressurized CO2 cylinders. The cost might be higher initially for the pressurized route, but it's pretty much a 'set it and forget it' for at least a year (or more), unless you use those tiny CO2 cylinders.

Hope that helps,

Walter