PDA

View Full Version : Discus Hans

Moanalua
08-03-2008, 06:50 PM
I recently won an auction from Discus Hans. $401 for 30 2-inch Stendker discus. Sweet!

First I have to compliment Hans again on his generosity. Rather than just 10% of the winning bid going to this forum, Hans had us donate the full amount to Simply. Too cool. He also gave the winners the option to donate whatever they wanted rather than the full amount of our bids!! Could have been an outrageous bargain but I think we all let our consciences be our guides and sent all our money to Simply - still a great deal. He even covered shipping for our orders, refusing my offer to subusidize the extra cost of shipping to Hawaii. The auction alone gave me a positive feeling about doing business with him.

Throughout the process Hans was helpful and supportive even before I bid, finding out I needed an import permit and linking me with the site to get it and checking with FedEX to make sure the transit time was reasonable for the fish. He also honored my request for specific strains, tailoring the list to just what I wanted. Through numerous e-mails he kept in touch even as he prepped for the ACA in Atlanta.

I finally had him ship my fish this week. Traveling from Baltimore, MD to Honolulu, HI all 30 arrived safe and sound. Nicely packed with plenty of room in the bags and some zeolite in mesh in each bag to help with ammonia for their 24-hour plus transit time.

The fish are lovely, lively and doing great. I see growth already and they are eager and unafraid eaters. No hiding or scattering after the first few hours. They are obviously used to people and well cared for. It's pretty amazing that they are so people friendly when you consider the size of Hans' operation. Kudos to him for that too.

Generous, thorough, good communication, excellent packing, beautiful healthy fish - Hans has it all covered..

Aloha,

Alan:D

Darren's Discus
08-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Great news,how about some pics !

cheers

Discus-Hans
08-03-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm glad everything worked out so well Alan. It's always scary to ship to places like yours :angel: Now grow them BIG,

Hans

ShinShin
08-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Some of the strongest, healthiest discus I ever have had came from Hans. But then, Jim Quarels taught Hans everything he knows about discus so why shouldn't they be great fish. ;) ;)

Mat

Discus-Hans
08-05-2008, 12:13 AM
HA ha ha ha ha Mat, you are funny.

Only thing I can say I wished he was still around, those were the days on the forums.

Jim, RIP, one day we will pick up our discussions again,

Hans

ShinShin
08-05-2008, 01:28 AM
They sure were, Hans. JQ wasn't the bad guy he presented himself as, although he was a bit crude at times. A person had to be tough back in the early days of the discus forums to stay around.

Mat

Discus-Hans
08-05-2008, 01:57 AM
They sure were, Hans. JQ wasn't the bad guy he presented himself as, although he was a bit crude at times. A person had to be tough back in the early days of the discus forums to stay around.

Mat

Mat,

he wasn't the guy at all he presented to be at the forums.......but I think most are different in person as behind the key board.

Except me of course I'm always a nice guy :angel::angel:

Hans

Discus-Hans
08-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Sorry Alan,

your post went complete in an other way, but still fun.

Mat, how many of the old days are still around???

You
Me
?

Hans

AADiscus
08-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Very generous on the donation and glad you got some awesome fish. Hans has always gone beyond to help anyone. Great Job Hans and can't wait to see pictures of your fish Alan.

greyhoundfan
08-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Moanalua!!

Hey, I used to live in Salt Lake!! Good luck with the Stendkers and maybe you can start your own breeding program. I know it's tough to find any discus in HI.

ShinShin
08-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Hans,

Not many. Of course back then we all used our real names. It's hard to tell who may have been on DIP, DPH, Bufo's and JQ"s forums that are on Simply with all the "handles" being used here. I remember when Al come along. Jerry Baer (Yogi) was there.

Mat

DavidH
08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
I can remember when Jim was complaining that he couldn't stop his pairs from laying eggs!
We all could use such a problem. Plus when he went away he would always complain about that darn alge when he came back

Cheers Dave

rowedder
10-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Hello All,
My partner and I ordered 48 discus from hans about a month or so ago, they are all doing very well!! At least the ones we have left, they are awesome Hans!!! Great shipping and no DOA's. You are the man!!

John & Andy
Backyard Discus LLC

John_Nicholson
10-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Not to hijack this thread again but I have to second shin shin's comment that JQ taught Hans a lot back in the day...LOL.

-john