PDA

View Full Version : Coralife 24" Lunar AquaLight Fixture - 2 x 65W

*Polka dots roc*
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
This is the light that used to be on my salt tank can i use it for discus or no?

description- A sleek, low profile, good looking strip light for all aquariums!

Designed to sit directly on the top of your covered aquarium it not only provides your tank with great light but looks good too!

Each Lunar AquaLight is made out of a modern black aluminum housing and boasts a highly polished aluminum reflector for maximum lighting efficiency.

Features:
- Two built in 3/4W LED Lunar Lights
- Built in Electronic Ballast
- Built in Cooling Fans
- Separate on/off controls for dawn/dusk effect
- Acrylic Lens Cover
- Coralife SP 65W 10000K Bulb
- Coralife SP 65W Actinic Bulb

Dimensions: 24"L x 7"W x 2.5"H.
Thank you

Autumn Wind
08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I have the same light only I changed the bulbs out to a 6700k and a 50/50 10,000k bulbs. In freshwater you don't really need the actinic bulb.

*Polka dots roc*
08-07-2008, 04:46 PM
do you have to change the bulbs or can i leave it?

Autumn Wind
08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
It will be fine as is. I changed mine mostly because I like how the the fish look. No worries go ahead and use it. :)

*Polka dots roc*
08-07-2008, 04:52 PM
thank you :D

subcooler
08-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Just wondering what size tank are you using this on?
I'm interested in attempting a planted tank & trying to sort through lighting requirements for getting good plant growth.

Maybe the question should be- What's largest tank this light could be used on & acheive decent plant growth?

Any help would be appreciated

Rob

plant.one
08-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Just wondering what size tank are you using this on?
I'm interested in attempting a planted tank & trying to sort through lighting requirements for getting good plant growth.

<snip>

Any help would be appreciated

Rob

If you're going to be using this fixture for plant growth you'll definatly want to swap out the bulbs for the 6700K bulbs. 10k/actinic/50-50 lamps do not provide much light int he photosynthetic spectrum range (rougly 4700K-8500K) so they dont promote growth the same way or nearly as efficently.

Maybe the question should be- What's largest tank this light could be used on & acheive decent plant growth?

thats a pretty open ended question - and will mostly depend on what kind of plants you're looking to grow.

Rougly speaking, a fixture like this (24" 65wx2) will support good growth with moderate demand plants in roughly a 50-65 gallon tank (30x18 or 36x18 footprint) (a little over 2wpg).

it would give great growth for moderate-high demands in a 29 gallon (30x12 footprint)

TO really give you a good answer as to waht kind of lighting will work best for you, we'll need to know a few things
a) a list of plants you want to be able to grow
b) size of your tank - both gallons and dimensions in inches (L x W x H)
c) what type of equipment you plan on using - canister vs HOB filter, co2, etc etc etc

I know setting up a planted system can be a bit daunting, but please do as much homework as you can first. Anything you can do to prevent a 'rebuy' of equipment is going to save you LOTS and LOTS of $$ and frustration down the road.

*Polka dots roc*
08-09-2008, 01:10 PM
thanks i've never used it on a planted tank before just sw

plant.one
08-09-2008, 01:28 PM
thanks i've never used it on a planted tank before just sw

they make a similar fixture for FW, that comes w/ the 6700k bulbs but w/o the moonlights.

Depending again as i noted above, the type of plants you want to grow & the size of your tank you may be better served going to something like a high output t5 setup (Tek light, etc) as they're more efficent lamps.

not trying to convince you to switch, just giong by what a lot of my customers are doing these days.