PDA

View Full Version : Sand in a discus tank?

lilim10
08-10-2008, 02:10 AM
I'm new to discus, but i know that they require clean water and that gravel accumulates too much ammonia, but is sand ok for discus? the tank will have driftwood with java fern and java moss on it.

tank: 90 gallon
fish: 5 adult discus + 8 neon tetras

oh, and how do you clean sand with a gravel vacuum or python?

gotfish?
08-10-2008, 03:53 AM
python is a kind of gravel vac, i remove the huge tube and just use the hose of the python to try and siphon the debris from the sand. sand is cheap and just get play sand from home depot and refill whenever your going low:)

Don Trinko
08-10-2008, 06:58 AM
I have sand in 2 tanks and gravel in the others. Gravel does not neccisarily promote ammonia. Only if you don't keep it clean. I vacumn the gravel at every WC. (water change)
Sand can promote anerobic bacteria if waste gets trapped below the surface. For this reason you should stir the sand occasionaly. This is recognizable as black patches and the anerobic bacteria produce poisonous gasses. ( hydrogen sulfide I think)
BB ( bare bottom ) is the easiest to clean but more difficult to make look good. It to can be done but requires a little imagination. Don T.

Darrell Ward
08-10-2008, 09:12 AM
If you want the benefits of bare bottom without the bare look, a layer of clear acrylic casting resin can be poured in the bottom of your tank. Next, pour a thin layer of sand over the resin, then pour a another layer of resin over the sand. This will totally encapsulate the sand, making a smooth surface that is bare bottom without being bare bottom. This is an old reef tank keepers trick that also works well for discus tanks. :)

korbi_doc
08-10-2008, 11:16 AM
If you want the benefits of bare bottom without the bare look, a layer of clear acrylic casting resin can be poured in the bottom of your tank. Next, pour a thin layer of sand over the resin, then pour a another layer of resin over the sand. This will totally encapsulate the sand, making a smooth surface that is bare bottom without being bare bottom. This is an old reef tank keepers trick that also works well for discus tanks. :)

Yeah Darrell....glad to read 'bout your plan....I think this one is a very workable adjunct to BB tanks & good looks, have seen references before but no takers....In NJ, I tried it on an old 29g & it worked well & looked good, but the tank then leaked & I've not repaired it, lol.....think I'll try it again...

Dottie ;)

Darrell Ward
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
EnviroTex Lite epoxy is an easy to use product as well, and can be purchased in gal. kits for a reasonable price.

Fishdude461
08-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Another idea for a bare bottom tank with out the look is to paint it. of course you have probly heard of this but the trick is to use good paint. I use a outdoor patio furniture paint that is speckled and has particles in the paint to give it a sandy look. Looks great! Looks just like sand, but you have a bare bottom. I have no gravel or sand in any of my tanks anymore.

neonmkr
08-10-2008, 08:45 PM
I have play sand in my tank. I picked it up at Home Depot, 50 lbs for $2.60. So far no problems, I've only had it set up for a month though. You'll find that the waste will sit on top of the sand and so when you syphon off the waste, you can hover over the top of the sand & you'll pick up the waste & leave the sand. I've also heard that some will attache the hose to a dowel & use that to stir up the sand and since the sand is heavier, it falls back down & allows you to get the waste.

architect1
08-12-2008, 10:57 PM
I to have play sand worst thing I ever did for me that is. always sucking out sand, it shows the dirt, and then there black lines in it. but I got half of it sucked out and its not so bad now. i am going to go with a bigger grade of material and then have some potting soil in the bottom.