PDA

View Full Version : substrate lasts forever??

maddog1240
08-11-2008, 01:22 AM
I've always wondered how long substrate lasts and gives off its full amount of nutrients. You'd think it runs out after a while right?!
Some people told me it lasts forever, and I'm trying to believe them but I just cant.... can I get some reassurance please??:confused:

CARY_GLdiscus
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Only believe half of what You see! and None of what You hear!

hee.Hee.Heee..

pcsb23
08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
I've always wondered how long substrate lasts and gives off its full amount of nutrients. You'd think it runs out after a while right?!
Some people told me it lasts forever, and I'm trying to believe them but I just cant.... can I get some reassurance please??:confused:If the substrate is one that is "enhanced" ie containing extra nutrients then yes these can and should get used up. If it is plain gravel or sand then it will contain no really useful amount of nutrients to start with.

Only believe half of what You see! and None of what You hear!

hee.Hee.Heee..

:jester:

GrillMaster
08-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Substrate lasts as long as your fish are happy! :)

Wahter
08-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Just how long are you needing it to last? I'm using the same Seachem Flourite for the last 10 years or so.

http://seachem.com/products/product_pages/Flourite.html
http://seachem.com/support/FAQs/Flourite_faq.html

Walter

maddog1240
08-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Shoot, my bad.... I'm talking about the "ADA Amazonia Aquasoil", I guess that falls under the "enhanced" category.
And its only been about a year and a half, but with some MAJOR tank changes. (I reorganized and drained the tank at least 10 times from then!)

So do you think I should be fine, or just get another bag to coat the top??

maddog1240
08-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Hey, I was looking into the Flourish, Flourite, etc. stuff and got a few questions....

-First, do you know how it compares to my ADA soil?

-Can you dose ANY substrate with the fert. tabs/liquids for it to work at its full potential?

-And last, is there such thing as TOO MANY nutrients in the tank??
(because I was thinking of having the substrate, putting in some tabs, and dosing with Flourish.)
-Also, will it mess with my discus if I do that?

thanks.

Wahter
08-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey, I was looking into the Flourish, Flourite, etc. stuff and got a few questions....

-First, do you know how it compares to my ADA soil?

-Can you dose ANY substrate with the fert. tabs/liquids for it to work at its full potential?

-And last, is there such thing as TOO MANY nutrients in the tank??
(because I was thinking of having the substrate, putting in some tabs, and dosing with Flourish.)
-Also, will it mess with my discus if I do that?

thanks.

1.) I think the ADA soil is the highest priced, but I've only heard good things about the results. That's not to say Flourite won't work; I've used it and had good results. A lot of plant growth will be influenced by your water conditions, lighting, CO2, etc...

2.) Yes, you can mix and match; I generally use Tropica's liquid fertilizer (formerly known as Mastergrow now known as Plant Nutrition) with tanks having Seachem's Flourite. I also use some ADA tools to trim plants. :D:D:D

3.) Yes, it's called an algae outbreak. :) You'll need to observe how your plants grow and then fertilize as necessary. Depending on your water, you might not need to fertilize at all.

4.) I've tried these brands of fertilizers: Azoo, Two Little Fish, Seachem Flourish, and Tropica. Hadn't seen any negative effects on discus.

Walter

maddog1240
08-18-2008, 04:29 PM
thanks wahter!

-that pretty much ends this thread. now im going to go start my planted discus tank!:D