PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast Discus

Terrybo
08-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I bought these discus from Dan a couple of weeks ago, and as you can tell I'm still having trouble getting the settings right on the camera, but here are some pictures. I have a heavily planted tank, so I couldn't get juveniles, so I got a group of young adults, mostly odds and ends from earlier shipments. This first is my favorite, one Dan had raised from a juvenile. It's also my avatar. (And yes, I know my glass needs a little cleaning).

For some reason, all the fish hate it when I get out the camera!

Terrybo
08-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Next is a turq.

Terrybo
08-17-2008, 03:20 PM
And finally, a blurry picture of my maze. This one is just so pretty, I had to post it despite the poor photography.

Terrybo
08-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Their is also a reddish brown discus with spotted fins and random red spots on its body, but the only picture I have of that is this group picture I posted earlier.

The 2 wild discus really HATE the camera and darken up and hide when they see it - someday I'll get their pictures.

Terry

Greg Richardson
08-17-2008, 05:42 PM
The 2 wild discus really HATE the camera and darken up and hide when they see it - someday I'll get their pictures.

If you have a tripod set it up in front of the tank. If not find something where you can let your camera right in plain view for a while. my bet is after a while their perception will change. Then take pictures with out a Flash.

If need be down the road use the flash.
All about conditioning these fish to do it your way.

Terrybo
08-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the tips Greg - I'll try the tripod trick. By the way, NONE of my fish pictures were taken with flash - I find it really distorts the fishes' colors.

Terry

Sandi
08-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Beautiful fish, I would love to see pix of your whole tank. they look very happy in there.
thanks for sharing :p

*Polka dots roc*
08-17-2008, 07:42 PM
What strain is the one in your avatar? He/she is beautiful:D

Terrybo
08-17-2008, 09:53 PM
What strain is the one in your avatar? He/she is beautiful:D

I'm guessing a Leopard of some sort. Hopefully Dan will have some time to log on to the forum and he can confirm.

Beautiful fish, I would love to see pix of your whole tank. they look very happy in there.
thanks for sharing :p

I'm really trying to get a good shot of the tank, but I keep getting the reflection of me at the camera, the wooden blinds in the background, etc. The location of the tank across from a window makes it hard to get a good shot.

Update: Okay - I got an okay picture of the tank - I'll post it in the Planted Tank forum, since it doesn't really belong here.

Terry

Terrybo
08-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Well, it turns out that the Maze discus that Dan picked out for me is a female, and she is laying eggs on the filter tube. She doesn't understand that it is a show tank, not a breeding tank!

Terry

Darren's Discus
08-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Very nice fish,thank's for sharing.

cheers

Terrybo
09-04-2008, 11:14 PM
The Maze and her Turq boyfriend are rather determined. They keep trying different sites.