I am thinking about purchansing a new 150US tank for 6 Discus

what would you go for 60x24x24 or 72x24x20

jagwire
08-23-2008, 10:04 PM
72 longer is better

Ed13
08-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Let's see, this is a tough one for me as I like both dimensions:inquisitive:
I guess I would base the decision on a comparison between cost and purpose. Planted or not(what style?) schooling fish or not, just discus?, Will it be rimless? How will it fit in the room?(this one is actually important for me) etc.

The 6' one is way easier to light and get nice fixtures. Easy to do maintanence on. But, it'll be harder to keep the aquascaped, easier to hardscape. It'll give the illusion of endlessness, making it look bigger.

The 5' will be most likely be lighted by MH pendants or a DIY system, it'll be harder to work on but easier to aquascape, harder to hardscape. It'll make more of an impression on volume.

Since both are 24" deep and for discus and assuming they'll cost relatively the same(doubtful:D)... get quotes first? lol Depending on glass, bracing and other choices the difference between them might be a whole lot.

Just flip a coin:D or let the significant other choose, get both.

I have a feeling deep down you already have an answer.
But the question is which one would I go for, the 6' for a reef and the 5' for planted. But hey, I say this today and viceversa tomorrow. lol

bs6749
08-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Not that it matters but the tanks are 6' and 5'. Go with the 6'. Your fish will have more swimming area as the tank is a larger footprint. Also, you should be able to keep more fish in the tank due to more surface area. I think you could have over 15 adult discus in that tank. Probably 18 if well filtered.

Sometimes less is more though and I'd think about 7-8 of them instead and do a planted tank with vals, anubias, swords which would be "easier" to do since the tank is not as tall/deep and the light would penetrate more easily meaning you won't have to buy more expensive lighting. 30 Cardinal tetras, 6angelfish, 10 corys, 18 hatchetfish, and 4 BN plecos/2 larger species should round out the tank nicely.

corrosionjerry
08-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Not that it matters but the tanks are 6' and 5'. Go with the 6'. Your fish will have more swimming area as the tank is a larger footprint. Also, you should be able to keep more fish in the tank due to more surface area. I think you could have over 15 adult discus in that tank. Probably 18 if well filtered.

Sometimes less is more though and I'd think about 7-8 of them instead and do a planted tank with vals, anubias, swords which would be "easier" to do since the tank is not as tall/deep and the light would penetrate more easily meaning you won't have to buy more expensive lighting. 30 Cardinal tetras, 6angelfish, 10 corys, 18 hatchetfish, and 4 BN plecos/2 larger species should round out the tank nicely.

Thanks for the advice....