PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

marchmaxima
08-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi all,

Sorry in advance if any question I ask has been answered. I've been spending a bit of time reading and researching, and I may have things muddled a bit.

having never owned discus and always wanted to, I'm now preparing a 4x2x2. It was to be built around discus, for discus. So everything I am doing, I am doing based on the fact that the discus' needs come first.

I had also planned to go medium light planted. Having now read the planted vs bb discussions, I can see that in the short term, I will have to go bb. I was planning on buying juvies purely because the cost of buying 6 or 8 adults is a bit heavy. Q1: can anyone recommend a site/page that gives info specifically on how ensure your discus go from juvies to adults happily and healthy? I know about extra feeds, but I had no idea about bb tanks and if that's the case, I wonder what else I am missing.

That's not so bad, because this is costing a wad of cash, so to delay some of the cost in creating a planted scape is fine with me. I thought I'd set up the tak, get it established, etc and then after a while then add discus. Q2: please confirm it would be better to convert the tank to a planted tank later once the discus have grown up.

I want to use 2 x 150w metal halide lights over the tank (obviously for the plants). Q3: Will this be okay to implement on a bb tank given the juvie discus won't have plants to shelter under from the bright light? If not, what is best?

Q4: My tap water has a kH of 0 and a gH of 3. Should I use crushed coral or other buffer to minimise potential pH swings.

Thanks in advance

Don Trinko
08-25-2008, 09:14 AM
This site will answer your questions. Search for WC (water change) Clean water is 1/2 the battle. Next Temp. Most keep the fish at 84 to 86, Then food , Most feed young fish 4 to 6 times a day with a variety of food, Finaly plants, graver,sand or BB... BB is the easiest to keep clean. It can be done with plants, gravel or sand but it is more work and you have to syphon around the plants because crud tends to accumulate there.
Don T.

marchmaxima
08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
What about the metal halide lights? Say I go bare bottom until the juvie discus grow to adult size. Say I put a coupke of potted plants in there instead for hiding spots, etc. Would be metal halide lights be an issue?

alan j t
08-25-2008, 07:03 PM
What about the metal halide lights? Say I go bare bottom until the juvie discus grow to adult size. Say I put a coupke of potted plants in there instead for hiding spots, etc. Would be metal halide lights be an issue?

sounds like alot of light for a couple of potted plants
you might get a alot of algea with 300 watts
id say 100watts for a couple of potted plants

marchmaxima
08-25-2008, 11:46 PM
sounds like alot of light for a couple of potted plants
you might get a alot of algea with 300 watts
id say 100watts for a couple of potted plants

Yeah, I know... but I don't want to buy two seperate lots of lighting fixtures.

The MH lighting was based around having a planted setup. I guess a cheap n nasty fluro light fixture would do just while they are babies.