PDA

View Full Version : All good things come to an end!

two utes
08-28-2008, 11:35 AM
It didn't seem all that long ago that l read a post here about the first Annual Discus Challenge and thought "how cool would that be!"
Well you can imagine how excited l was to be chosen to be one of the challengers, and it sure put me on a quick learning curve to raising a batch of juvenile discus. With all you guys watching, and with plenty of encouragement l went through lots of highs....and a few lows. But learnt a whole lot along the way too.
I just want to thank Simply discus for this opportunity and also all of you for your replies to my post. You sure did give me plenty to strive for.
Just out of interest l put in 21 posts to which l received 12,506 views.
I really can't believe it has been 8 months since receiving the challenge discus, and thought you would enjoy this 6 minute clip of my journey.
Thanks again to all of you for your support.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG1cD4mgXFU

korbi_doc
08-28-2008, 01:17 PM
:D That is a verrry nice summary of your journey...good job!....& it sure doesn't seem like it's been 8 months....:drummer: enjoy your fish!!! Oh! & I love your signature, lol...

Dottie ;)

Autumn Wind
08-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Awesome job! LOVE the video.
I for one appreciate the great job of documenting the challange. Can you tell me what size they were when you got them in January and the size they are now?
Thank you! :)

two utes
08-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks for your comments Dottie and Autumn Wind.:):):)
Yes....life is to short to take it too seriously....'Nobody gets out Alive'
The average size of the discus fish was about 45mm (1 3/4") with the largest one l measured around 63mm ( 2 1/2")
I lost the largest one about half way through the challenge...sob...sob.
And the biggest one remaining currently stands at around 115mm (4 1/2")
Though that is only an approximation, as l do not wish to place them under unnecessary stress by trying to catch them again for a measurement.

Darren's Discus
08-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Joe,
you have done an exceptional job the whole way through with regular updates and video and you truly embraced what i believe the challenge was about. The discus you raised look fantastic !

cheers mate.

AADiscus
08-28-2008, 08:24 PM
That was really good! I enjoyed that. Great job and the fish have grown to such beauties. Hope you continue to enjoy them. It is so fun to watch them grow, see there coloring come in and watch them mature. Great job my friend!:)

Bobears
08-28-2008, 11:57 PM
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!

Very good very good! What an inspiration to beginners like me.

I'm not Australian, but cheers mate.

subcooler
08-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks for posting the video!
Looks like you have some very nice discus there.
Keep up the good work!
I'll have to show video to the wife-"See there is still a place we could set-up another tank":D
Rob

two utes
08-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Joe,
you have done an exceptional job the whole way through with regular updates and video and you truly embraced what i believe the challenge was about. The discus you raised look fantastic !

cheers mate.

Darren, Thanks mate!! That really really means alot to me!:):):)

Angela, I'm glad you enjoyed, not only the video but the overall challenge. And l will continue to enjoy my discus for sure! Next challenge for me is trying to successfully raise some fry.:)

Bobears, I am so happy to be an inspiration to a beginner! You have chosen the most beautiful and sometimes challenging fish to keep. But let me tell you that you will find all the help and support that you need here on Simply Discus. There are some really good people here. Just don't be afraid to ask! Cheers to you to Mate!

Subcooler, I am really happy with my discus, and glad that you like them too.
I hope that you find some spare room for another Discus Tank. I wish l could too!!

Thanks every one for the feed back!

April
08-29-2008, 11:56 PM
that was a very nice video. i enjoyed it. id say you were a success . they look great .
thanks for sharing..and the contest was all a success i think.

two utes
08-30-2008, 02:17 AM
Thanks April. It's nice of you to say that.:D

I think it gave lots of people opportunities to see and monitor different ways of raising juvinille discus.
I was successful in raising two out of my batch, and look forward to doing it again one day with a bit more experience behind me.

Kindredspirit
08-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Great Video, Joe!:) I think all contestants should make one ~ I love that one shot of the "inside out"!

alxjss
08-30-2008, 07:43 AM
JOE, Joe, joe..... u never seice to amaze me w/ ur talents. That was the best video i have seen yet. W/ ur dedication, always posting, sharing all the ups and downs w/ us. U r THE BEST imo!!!!
Good luck my virtual friend, I just wish i could meet u in person and personally share all the experiences these 8 months. Who knows, maybe someday:)

two utes
08-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey Marie...l think that 'viewing from the inside out' clip gave me that 'Crazy Nut' title....l nearly called that summary clip 'Crazy nut's discus challenge':D:D:D

Hi Eileen...you are so sweet to say that. I feel like l got to know you a little over these last 8 months as well, and l sure did feel some of your pain. But, you being the trooper that you are pulled through nicely. I always look forward to your report and updates as well!
I am sure that when we meet, we will have plenty of stories to share.

Thanks for the comments ladies.:D:D:D

Armandi_Fishcarer
09-06-2008, 04:06 AM
Hi Joe :)

Unbelievably Fantasticly put together!

Incredible, I really am lost for words.

The fish turned out great. I really dig your work.

Wish you all the best in the future.

Regards
Armandi ;)

two utes
09-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi Joe :)

Unbelievably Fantasticly put together!

Incredible, I really am lost for words.

The fish turned out great. I really dig your work.

Wish you all the best in the future.

Regards
Armandi ;)

Why THANK YOU so much Armandi. And, l really appreciated your support through out the whole challenge.:D

Wahter
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Nice video clip! Always interesting to see how the youngsters turn out. :)

Walter

happygirl65
09-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Excellent documentation and what an appropriate song too....bittersweet symphony....so true. :)

Nice work! :)

two utes
09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Nice video clip! Always interesting to see how the youngsters turn out. :)

Walter

It sure was interesting Walter. Learnt a whole lot along the way too.

Why thank you Happygirl65. Glad you liked the clip and the song l chose. I thought it was bittersweet too.:D

Cheers. Joe

brewmaster15
09-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Joe,
I really love the Video mate....nice work on the documentation and on the contest fish..:) watching it all unfold and then seeing this recap...makes me feel like I was there.

Stellar job here!:)

-al

two utes
09-09-2008, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the thumbs up Al.:thumbsup:
And thanks for coming up with this brilliant idea.
looking forward to watching other people take part in future challenges!

BSW
09-09-2008, 07:44 AM
WOW !
That was very, very nice !
Great video !
You did such a wonderful job with those fish, and they turned out just beautiful.
Do you still have all of them ? Have any paired up ?
What are your plans for their futures ?
B

two utes
09-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Hi B thank you very much for your response.
As l mentioned earlier, l had plenty of highs and a few lows through out the challenge.
My biggest low was when l decided to split the group, and put half of them in my planted community tank. This was because l felt the challenge tank was getting over crowded with their rapid growth.
I don't really know what went wrong from there, but the remaining fish became very timid and started thrashing around. After a few of them died, l put a couple of them back there to balance things out, and lost more fish.
The only two challenge fish l have left are the two that remained in the planted tank after that move.
Till this day they are happy there and are starting to show signs of pairing up.
The future?....well they are in the planted tank in our living room, and l am just happy watching them.
If they do pair up a lay eggs there, l will think about setting up the challenge tank once again, and attempt to hatch and raise some fry....that will be my next challenge!

phidelt85
09-10-2008, 01:55 AM
Wow, Joe!!! Super sweet video summary of the entire journey!! I really need to get mine done. Can ya believe this is my first post in the last two months....Geez time flies

Congratulations, mate!! Job well done!!

two utes
09-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Hi there Jose!!! Thanks for your comments mate. Yes it has been l while since we've crossed paths.Sure am looking forward to see how your little gems are doing.
Is been a long time since this journey started, and l am sure that it will lead us along many different paths, Take care mate!

GrillMaster
09-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi Ya Joe....I haven't been able to get on the forum much. Work and other things. I just saw this thread. That was an amazing video bud!! A great tribute to the generosity of Darren and Al, and reflecting on what a great community this really is!

Kudos to you!! :thumbsup:

two utes
09-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi Ya Mark... That's cool mate.
My hobbies keep me sane and are a good diversion from other things...mainly work.
If l remember correctly, you also took delivery of some of the challenge fish from form Al? It would be great to see how they have come along too.

Darren and Al are a good example of giving, generous, people. Not just because they gave away some discus, but always willing to give a helping hand. And together with many other good people here on 'Simply Discus' is why this forum is Grand!

Mark, thanks for your support along to way to mate.:thumbsup: