PDA

View Full Version : QT tank.

hissyphus
08-28-2008, 03:25 PM
I have a question for the experts. How long should I keep new Discus in a quarantine tank before they are safe to move in with my other Discus?

thanks,

Hissy

Graham
08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi, The longer the better but at least 3 weeks

DiscusDude85
08-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Most deffinately agree with Graham, but 6 weeks would be optimal!.

Joe

Discus-n00b
08-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Or do what i do, use a new/empty tank for QT then call it a showtank after QT. Everytime you need to QT get a new tank. ;) Well, its one way to fuel my MTS.

Apistomaster
08-30-2008, 11:47 PM
If you are getting a large group of discus at one time and they are the first non-expendable fish you purchase then your display tank may be both a QT at the beginning then display tank when the discus have settled in.

After this stage, if your tank is so large you expect to buy more Discus, then having a 20 Long is a handy size tank. It is large enough to hold 4 discus of 4 inches, long enough to satisfy your quarantine period. A few weeks minimum but how long really depends on what the condition is of any new discus are in when you get them. Most domestic Discus from a good source won't need more than a minimal quarantine period but most wild discus can easily use 2 or 3 months in a quarantine tank to fully recover from all they have endured since the time of their capture.

hissyphus
09-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll start with three weeks and then play it by the general condition of the Discus at that point.

thanks,

Hissy