PDA

View Full Version : safe rocks locally?

NTriece
09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Hello-I'm new here. I'm learning lots of good information just from reading! I read about using pool sand and made some phone calls to see how much it would cost etc. One gentlemen apparently had some knowledge in doing aquariums and was talking about slate rock that can be bought at local landscaping companies? How would I know for sure what would be safe to use? I only have one discus so far but am really wanting more and want to make sure I do everything right. Thanks for any all all advice!

brewmaster15
09-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi and Welcome to SimplyDiscus!:)

I guess the first thing is what do you want to do with the Rocks..Generally they aren't a part of the typical Discus tanks....Sand works....as does driftwood. Rocks can be used but be mindful of pH affects..check the rocks with vinegar or acid to see if they foam ( usually will if the rocks have calcium carbonate/limestone bases.) avoid these...also avoid rocks with sharp edges ...these can scrape a panicking/bolting discus.

One rock I have used is granite... doesn't have much of an affect on pH in my tanks....again just be careful of the edges.

hth,
al

NTriece
09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks Al. There is so much good information on this site-I'm really impressed with it!

I was tossing around the idea of building a ledge in the background for looks and to possibly hold some deeper sand for the amazon sword root systems. I've just recently been trying my hand at live plants too. Again this is a great source of information!

I definitely don't need anything that raises the ph as mine is more than high enough.

satt71
09-05-2008, 12:00 PM
you can pool sand and try out large rocks from landscaping companies as they will be selling at very cheap rate than any aquarium shops.

I bought my sand from Meijers(you can get it from homedepot, lowes or menards called gravel) and I picked up the rock from my apartment lake.

Fishworm
09-06-2008, 02:46 AM
I use local rocks in my cichlid tanks and I havent had a problem yet. just be sure to wash it really well just in case there might have been some pesticides or weed killer used nearby.

most of the rocks I used were from a local dry creekbed, and I drug some nice granite rocks home from Colorado one time that are now in my Tropheus tank.