PDA

View Full Version : ideal gender figures

marchmaxima
09-08-2008, 06:55 AM
I am in the planning stages of a 4x2x2 discus tank. I'm not planning on breeding. Eventually, somewhere down the track, when my discus babies are grown, the tank will become planted.

Ideally is there a male to female ratio I should go? Is there a M/F ratio I should NOT go for? Does it matter?

DiscusOnly
09-08-2008, 08:42 AM
If you are getting juvie or baby discus, I doubt very much that you will be able to pick out the male/female ratio. Start out with a dozen and you should get a few pairs.

Valik
09-08-2008, 12:11 PM
If u aren't looking to breed don't worry about it.

Matt

marchmaxima
09-09-2008, 09:01 PM
No, I'm not planning on breeding. I know with some breeds its better to have 2 males to 1 female, and others are different. Glad to hear I don't have to worry about that with Discus.

A dozen you say??? I hadn't planned on that many! Hm.

Valik
09-10-2008, 03:29 AM
No, I'm not planning on breeding. I know with some breeds its better to have 2 males to 1 female, and others are different. Glad to hear I don't have to worry about that with Discus.

A dozen you say??? I hadn't planned on that many! Hm.

You most certainly don't have to have a dozen, but lets see a 48x24x24 tank would be what somewhere over 100 gallons so you certainly could have 12 no problem. My personal opinion is they do best in groups of 5 or more though.

Matt

DiscusOnly
09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I figured a dozen since your tank is probably a 120gal (based on the dimension). In my limited experience with growing out, they all don't grow the same. If you get six, there is a good chance that 1 or 2 of them may not grow as well as the others. You many end up with 4-5 that you really like. In my opinion, 4-5 on a 120gal is not enough. You are going to be doing frequent WC in the beginning, what's another six more discus? (except if you are on a limited budget). So start with a dozen and sell of a few that you don't want to keep once they get to 5+"

If you start with 6 and later decide you want more.. now you have to do the whole QT routine.

happygirl65
09-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Sharon! Welcome to SD! :)
Nice to see you finally following your discus dream. :) I think you will do great! I think you should get 10-12 in there. :)