PDA

View Full Version : starting up

Sandy W
09-09-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm starting my first discus experience. 75gal tank. We put in a R/O system when the copper in our well water killed my fresh water ray.
So, I started with 5 serapae tetras and a couple of swords left from the last experience to age the new water. What is the best place to purchase discus? And what size is best to start?
Our local aquarium, Tropic Isle, sells wild and imported from Sri Lonka. Is this safe, or should we do mail order from a USA breeder?
S.

dpt8
09-09-2008, 03:16 PM
There is a Tropic Isle in Framingham, Ma. Do you live in Massachusetts ?? I would go to the aquarium in Millis,Ma. that carries Discus Hans discus or buy from another sponsor here. PM me if you are in Massachusetts. David T

Sandy W
09-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I am in Stow MA. What is the aquarium in Millis?
Sandy

dpt8
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Sandy, I pmed you, David T

Sandy W
09-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks David,
I can't PM anyone but sponsors until I've posted 5x. So here's my answer.
My problem with Uncle Neds is that the place is filthy! I bought a goldfish from him for my pond just to rescue it from the slimy conditions a few years ago. Has it gotten better?
I think we are going to try to start with Red Turquoise or something equally bright. How do I find Al Sabetta to arrange for a purchase? (I can find Kenny lists his fish in his sponsor posts.)
Sandy
PS Stow is midway between Worcester and Boston, kind of around Sudbury, Bolton, and Marlboro.

above design
09-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm starting my first discus experience. 75gal tank. We put in a R/O system when the copper in our well water killed my fresh water ray.
So, I started with 5 serapae tetras and a couple of swords left from the last experience to age the new water. What is the best place to purchase discus? And what size is best to start?
Our local aquarium, Tropic Isle, sells wild and imported from Sri Lonka. Is this safe, or should we do mail order from a USA breeder?
S.

Hi Sandy,

Contact Kenny's Discus. He is a sponsor on this website. He will answer all your questions and he has very high quality Discus.

Good Luck!

-Mark

mikel
09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi Sandy; Welcome, and it's always great to have people from our great state on this site. Dave is a great guy, and he has a most impressive private collection of beatiful discus at home...and i was fortunate to have seen them first hand. I agree with you that Ned's place is kinda dirty, at least on the surface. But they do know what they are talking about when it comes to discus. I am not sure how high the quality of the discus at Trpics Isle is...but their supplies are reasonable priced, especially the water conditioners and the frozen foods like Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimps. But if you are just starting out, I would second the advice from here that you get a group of 6 young fish from the sponsors here and start them as one group and let them grow up together...and hopefully you should get a few pairs out of that batch. You can look up both Kenny and Al on the sponsor section and email them directly. I can attest that both Al and Kenny are among the best people to deal with, and they love their discus!!!!

You can get a group of fish from several strains, or all from one favorite strain. It's really up to you and what you envision doing a year from now. I live just outside Boston in the town of Milton.

Hay, Dave!!!! hope you are doing well! and say hi to my five favorite amigos. ;))) mike

dpt8
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words Mike !! Sandy, I hope you do join us when we have a meeting. Great to have you aboard.. Check in with us anytime if you need help or want to bounce ideas around.. Please remember what I told you about T.I. discus :9)

subcooler
09-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Welcome to Simply !
IMO, Your starting off right by asking about contacting AL! :D
I was able to attend NE Discus meeting in June@ AL's house.
He has very impressive collection of discus(Wilds/domestics/pairs/grow out tanks etc...)It seems Al always has some discus he's growing out that he's willing to part with.He's just an all around great guy,who's always willing to listen to problems/concerns of new discus keepers!
If you live anywhere near Al-he's your best bet to find discus or just to get some hints!
Best of luck with your discus!
Hope to see you@ future NE Discus meetings,
Rob

I think we are going to try to start with Red Turquoise or something equally bright. How do I find Al Sabetta to arrange for a purchase? (I can find Kenny lists his fish in his sponsor posts.)
Sandy
PS Stow is midway between Worcester and Boston, kind of around Sudbury, Bolton, and Marlboro.

Sandy W
09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys. My Serapaes all died so we're back to square one. My water (R/O used in the tank) checks out fine by 5 parameter test tape, but I'm going to tropic isle with a water sample to see what is going on.
I work full time and I am also an AKC dog show judge (and breeder and Kennel Club member), so I doubt I'll get to many meetings, but thanks for the invite. Please keep me informed and I'll see if I can make it to one.
I PM'd Al but haven't heard back yet. Just as well as we are obviously not ready to consider discus until we get the tank problems sorted out.
Sandy