PDA

View Full Version : HELPppp - 135 gal Aquarium LEAK!!!!

nostrodamus
09-15-2008, 09:29 AM
My discus aquarium just sprung a leak yesterday (6' long aquarium) on the left side toward the bottom edge. I've emptied the water, and the bottom substrate.
I can see where the water is coming out in a very slow stream.

1) can I reseal the aquarium (that part), and if so, how?

2) or do I have to cut out the whole glass panel, and put back the aquarium again?

PS: Yes, I've transferred a dozen discus in a 55gal aquarium for the time being, but I think they would be happy to get back to their original tank.

Darrell Ward
09-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Silicone won't stick to silicone, so patching a leak won't work. To reseal a tank, you'll have to scrape away the entire joint, and make a new one. It will also take a couple of days to cure before you can safely refill the tank. It's not that bad. I've done it a couple of times on leaky tanks that I got for free.

nostrodamus
09-15-2008, 11:16 AM
thanks, but what kind of silicone can I use on the scraped out edge, and can I get at at Home depot, Lowes, or Walmart?

Darrell Ward
09-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I used GE Silicone I 100% Silicone Rubber Sealant Window & Door. I got it at Lowes. Don't use silicone made for kitchens and baths, as it has chemicals in it to prevent mildew that are harmful to fish.

nostrodamus
09-15-2008, 12:05 PM
thanks a million.
can I just redo that one edge, or do I have to do all four edges on that side?

Darrell Ward
09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
I would redo all the sides. Better now while the tank is already down.

Mr. Limpet
09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Do a search at the top of the page, on aquarium sealant and on Tank repair, you will find a lot of information.

Have fun,
Paul.

nostrodamus
09-23-2008, 06:38 PM
hey guys,
I just scraped out the silicone with a $3 scraper from lowes (I tried scraping with a blade, but the pro one worked wonders)
2nd, I regouped it with 100% silicone ($3.98) and spread it with a spreading stick from lowes (again $3)
I let it set dry for 4 days, and now it stands great full of water - it's been 4 days without any leak or complications.

Thanks everyone for advice

katt-ja
09-23-2008, 08:31 PM
do tanks really leak that often? i get nightmares every time i see "leaky tank!" :P

Darrell Ward
09-24-2008, 01:54 AM
hey guys,
I just scraped out the silicone with a $3 scraper from lowes (I tried scraping with a blade, but the pro one worked wonders)
2nd, I regouped it with 100% silicone ($3.98) and spread it with a spreading stick from lowes (again $3)
I let it set dry for 4 days, and now it stands great full of water - it's been 4 days without any leak or complications.

Thanks everyone for advice

Good to hear.:thumbsup: