PDA

View Full Version : What type of Rocks are these?

Mike2685
09-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey guy's,

I like these type of staggered rocks in this tank. Does anybody know the name of them as I can't seem to find any?

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2007.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=1&id=190

Thanks
Mike

DiscusDreamer
09-22-2008, 09:58 AM
thats petrified wood... nice stuff

Apistomaster
09-22-2008, 01:24 PM
I see some petrified wood too and petrified wood is one of the best rocks to use in aquariums based on relatively inert chemistry of what is essentially silica that replaced the original wood but I think some of the bulkier rocks are something different but they are so obscured, it's impossible to tell what kind of stone it is. It appears to be a metamorphic rock and that could be any number of minerals. I'm sure they chose stones that were inert but without more info , identifying those rocks would be impossible.
When in doubt, you can rarely go wrong if you use petrified wood but large pieces can cost quite a bit. Very poor quality petrified wood often has deposits of calcium carbonate rock like aragonite which is best avoided in most aquariums but especially in those that will be kept in moderately soft acid conditions.

Crstfr
09-22-2008, 01:45 PM
its petrified wood.. i have a few pieces that exact color... small pieces.. not that big.. i wish they were.. that is an awesome setup!

Mike2685
09-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the help guy's!!