PDA

View Full Version : Revise my plan

Karlo
09-23-2008, 04:28 AM
I am planning on starting a discus tank in my room upstairs and I formulated a plan for it. God bless my parents for letting me stay in their home while I finish school. Since I am a poor college student I am going to start this project on Jan 25, 2009. By that date I will have aquired all my supplies by mostly mail. I plan on having a 55 gallon BB tank with potted plants. Filter will be a fluval 405 (overkill?) and lighting will be low light, maybe 1.7 wpg.

I have experience in keeping fish and I have a successful planted aquarium running but I feel like my 29 isn't quite enough to satisfy my unhealthy obsession of aquariums.

Jan 25 - check aquarium for leaks, clean and assemble stand and place upstairs.

Jan 26 - Paint back and bottom of aquarium (undecided color, please make a suggestion) and let dry

Jan 28 - Place aquarium upstairs on stand, fill and check for leaks again. Install filter, lights, and other equipment. I will use no heater because the weather in Hawaii is very hot. My room floats around low 80's during the day and drops a few degrees at night.

Jan 29 - Fill partly with aquarium water and possibly foam from established 29 gallon to seed bacteria. Begin cycle with 3 cardinal tetras. Will be using a cycle boosting product but I had not decided which one. Bio Spira is not available around here.

Feb 2 - Add 4 cardinal tetras. test parameters.

Feb 5 - Add 4 cardinal tetras. test parameters. If fully cycled, add another 10 cardinal tetras.

Feb 15 - I plan to have received the 5 juv discus that my LFS will be providing. Test Parameters. Start drip acclimation. Place discus in Aquarium.

I will not feed for 24 hours after acclimation is complete. I plan on feeding 4 or 5 times a day.

6/7 am when I wake up - Frozen food

10 am by timer - Dry food

2 pm by timer - Dry food

6 pm when I get home - Frozen food

8 pm half an hour before lights go off occasionally. - Frozen food

Please tell me which variety of frozen food and dry food will work best for my juv discus.

I plan on doing two 30%-50% water changes weekly and vaccuming the bottom 4 times a week.

When the discus have grown a few inches and feeding is reduced I will add less than an inch of white sand to the bottom for aesthetics. Along with that I will be adding potted plants into the aquarium. I am unsure what type of pot I will use so I am open to suggestions on what will be pleasing to the eye. I chose to use potted in order to keep the bottom clean.

I give care and attention to all living things I keep, flora and fauna. I want to grow these discus as healthily as I can so please give as much constructive criticism to my plan as you can. I am very open to advice based on experience and have no problem being open minded.

GrillMaster
09-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Hey Karlo...Welcome to "SD"

Glad to hear your parents are gonna let ya have some discus! Just keep it simple to start with. Get your 55G, put an Aquaclear 70 on it, add a couple of sponge filters. Throw in about 8 juvies of the type you like, keep it BB and do 50% WC's each day.

This is the cheapest, easiest way to grow out some great discus! Once they have grown out for ya, then put in some potted plants or whatever you'd like...:)