PDA

View Full Version : New planted tank

PBsplats
09-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Just put all my plants in today and filled up tank!:D Only thing is water is cloudy. How long will this last? I have no carbon in filter because of plant fertilizers. Ill try and post pictures later if I can get my camera to work........... Also so far there have been snails coming out everywhere when the light turned off. I've been picking them out of the tank one by one when I see them. Found something that looks like a leech its about half an inch. How can I get rid of this stuff.

Well camera is broken so i had to use my cell phone.......Here,s pictures of my new tank. I cant wait untill the tank matures!:D Tanks still kind of cloudy but it is going away.

White Worm
09-26-2008, 11:38 PM
What did you use for the substrate?

PBsplats
09-27-2008, 07:26 AM
The substrates eco complete and laterite.

Mack
09-27-2008, 09:16 AM
What size is the tank and what do you plan on stocking with (discus I assume). In my experience, a loach would be very efficient at removing your snails (you probably would not want him in with discus though).
Mack

PBsplats
09-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Tanks a 46g bow and im looking at getting a pair of discus. I cant put the loach in because the plants are newly planted and it would rip them apart.

Wahter
09-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Since you have Eco Complete - I'd recommend that you not get any pigeon blood based discus unless you like peppering on your discus. I don't think you'll really need the laterite layer, but it won't hurt the plants; you'll see some of it come up when you pull up some plant roots though.

Loaches won't gobble up every plant - it depends. In my experience, they leave java fern (Microsorum), Cryptocoryne, Rotala, Mosses, and Ludwigia alone, however, they mowed down my Vallisneria, perforated my anubias and sword plants. I also think this will vary from individual fish to fish.

HTH,

Walter

PBsplats
09-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Even if the tank is heavily planted? The substrate will eventually be covered with the fore ground. I do not like the pepper look verymuch. So....... if the PB will get peppering even if the foreground is covered ill get another strain of discus. I like the Leopard discus alot too.

One question my red sea C02 generator started to let out C02 for a little while but about 15 min later it stopped and that was about an hour ago. The pump still works theres just no more C02 I can see getting let out into the tank. I will be getting a real C02 system when I save up a little more money. I was looking at this:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18478/si1431675/cl0/redseaco2prosystempaintball
I was going to use a 20oz paintball C02 tank i had lying around.

katt-ja
09-28-2008, 03:12 PM
clown loaches don't rip plants up, in my experience. and my tank was over run with snails and i got one loach and he got every single one in 2 weeks. i gave him to a friend to be with more clown loaches but it's been 3 weeks since then and not one snail has appeared.

the tank looks good though!

but if they are malaysian trumpet snails i wouldn't bother trying to remove them, they are pretty beneficial for a planted tank. and i don't think loaches can eat them anyhow.

PBsplats
09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Ive been getting rid of trumpet snails and another type that looks more like a regular snail.
The plants look like there starting to grow and flowers are already forming on most of them.

Freon
10-12-2008, 03:17 AM
I have six Clown Loaches in a fully planted 90 and they have never touched one plant. Also, what ferts are you using? Seachem has told me their line of ferts can be used with carbon without any issues. I have been using carbon or Purigen and my plants have thrived.

PBsplats
10-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I use all of seachems ferts. Thats great to know that I can use the carbon in my filter.:D I was going to get "Had a snail" but decided that I might just get a clown loach. Is there any definate way to get rid of every snail because these things are a pain.:( When i first started the tank I would pick them off but now theres to many to do that and it looks like more are appearing everyday. I've just decided to pick the larger ones off the plants.

plecocicho
10-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Buy snail eating snail Antome helena.

katt-ja
10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
a clown loach will definitely get every single snail in about 2-3 weeks. i've done this a couple times when i had accidently introduced snails off of plants.

susantroy1
10-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Even if the tank is heavily planted? The substrate will eventually be covered with the fore ground. I do not like the pepper look verymuch. So....... if the PB will get peppering even if the foreground is covered ill get another strain of discus. I like the Leopard discus alot too.

One question my red sea C02 generator started to let out C02 for a little while but about 15 min later it stopped and that was about an hour ago. The pump still works theres just no more C02 I can see getting let out into the tank. I will be getting a real C02 system when I save up a little more money. I was looking at this:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18478/si1431675/cl0/redseaco2prosystempaintball
I was going to use a 20oz paintball C02 tank i had lying around.

IMO, Save yourself the letdown and get a standard regulator/diffuser solenoid setup. Trying to maintain 30 ppm C02 with 20 oz bottle from a paint ball system is very time consuming due to the fact you will constant be needing to refill this small size tank. I would suggest a 5LB bottle that should get you at least a couple of months before needing to fill it again. A 20 OZ. bottle will last about 7-10 days max. Again trying for a target range of 30 PPM C02 levels. The # 1 reason for algae is inconsistent C02 Levels, which is what you may be headed for with such a small 20 oz bottle.

All The Best

Troy

PBsplats
10-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Its funny you said "algae" because I got a huge algae bloom ! I took care of it though and all the algae is gone. I in fact did go buy a 5 lb tank and have a real co2 system with a ph controller coming tommorow.

I bought some clown loaches today and I have a question. Do I need to feed them or is my huge snail outbreak enough for them?